Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex Heaters
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VwDubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Propex Heaters Reply with quote

Question for anyone who has a Propex Heater installed..

How much fuel does the Propex heaters comsume. I've checked the internet info but couldn't figure out the propane comsumption.

In short how long will the Westy's onboard Propane Tank last if I'm using the heater and some other normal Propane useage fridge, and cooking under normal chilly temps, not considering sub frezing temps just your cold chilly fall and spring nights. Mainly thinking of just trying to keep the chill out of the Van.

Oh-oooo and how well does the Porpex work in comparison to say a Little Buddy external heater etc.
Are they truely worth the investment?
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The propane consumption (142grams/hour for the HS 2000) is on the Propex web site:

http://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/air-heaters.php

How long it lasts depends on alot of variables but my sense is that during winter camping with temps arround freezing at night and using the heater in the evening and morning and doing some cooking (the fridge uses very little propane in winter) it will last about 4/5 days on the stock Westy tank. In my opinion you realy need an extra tank or an "extenda stay" to be sure you will not run out unless you are allways topping off your tank.

Worth it? Yes, the single best thing you can do for winter camping comfort (other than a hightop). Heat at the touch of a button, no condensation, no fumes, nothing to trip over. Reach up and turn it on before you get out of bed!
Hi-Top build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=534517
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you camp 2-3 times a year in temps around or below 40deg, do it. It's worth it. It's also really nice when it's 45 and rainy as it often is here in the PNW. It really helps burn off the damp chill.
I bought my van with a partially full propane tank. I only cook occasionally but probably have 10-15 hrs of burn time on my furnace.
Haven't had to fill it yet. As long as you don't expect it to keep the van at 68 deg all day and all night, it will last a long time.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is 92,000 BTUs in a gallon of propane. There's 2.5 gallons in a vanagon westy tank.
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remeber calculating it out when we purchased our propex hs2000,and think it is about 30 hours contious run time.How cold it is and how warm you want it inside will dictate how long it lasts. As already stated,if you have an extend a stay or other way to add propane when camped you will be able to stay longer. I have a "propane transfer hose" that threads onto a 20lb tank and onto the fill valve of the westy tank. So I can top up at home each time before we head out without going to the gas station for a couple of litres worth.Plus they always overfill it.Others have added a second factory lpg tank to the passenger side which is a very nice option,justs adds to the cost.If you camp in the cooler weather you won't regret installing a propex.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For comparison, using Mr Buddy to remove the chill while at Yosemite, I managed 3 days of off and on use from the 1 pound camp bottles. We could not run Mr Buddy during the night, only to take the chill off when awake and sitting in the van. That said, Mr Buddy works great for that. No experience with the propex, but the main advantage would be that you could run it while you sleep. We have an Espar now and have used it the last two weekends. It is like having central heat. You set the thermostat and forget it.

I guess it depends on how much cold camping you do and what you and your family can take.
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heaters Reply with quote

VwDubber wrote:

In short how long will the Westy's onboard Propane Tank last if I'm using the heater and some other normal Propane useage fridge, and cooking under normal chilly temps, not considering sub frezing temps just your cold chilly fall and spring nights. Mainly thinking of just trying to keep the chill out of the Van.

That describes a lot of the camping I do. With fridge on propane full-time, cooking for two, and moderate useage of my Propex (mostly morning and night), I get about 10 days. I have the Propex EX1800.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boulderdrop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Propex HS2000: Had it for four years now. For me the stock propane tank is exhausted in 3 days of ~32 degree snow-camping in a 84-westy with only stock insulation (pop-top down). It's mounted under the Z-Bed. My plan is to get one of the devices mentioned in this posting, that will allow you to connect a normal BBQ tank... and maybe remount it under the closet with the output directed towards the bed.

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=53700

All in all, the device works well.. it works even better (aka reliable) if you have one of the newly designed ones (post Feb 2010). However, things are working better on my 2008 model after sending it in for a full-tweaking to Karl at WestyVentures.
1979 Sears Freespirit Moped
1996 Chev S10 4x4 ZR2
2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Wife's)

== How I Pay the Bills ==
Windows FTP Server at http://www.bpftpserver.com (PM for a FREE one)
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth every penny and then some. Buy it you won't regret it. I have the 2000 model.

It doesn't consume that much propane. Call van-cafe and ask for peter he'll give you the best deal and tell you how much propane it will use.

I used one of those gas buddies and yes they may work but really if you have the funds buy the propex. It works like a clock and warms up the westy in two minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heaters Reply with quote

chimivee wrote:
VwDubber wrote:

That describes a lot of the camping I do. With fridge on propane full-time, cooking for two, and moderate useage of my Propex (mostly morning and night), I get about 10 days. I have the Propex EX1800.

Haven't road tested the new Propex install yet, but given this rate I probably didn't need to buy one of these 5lb. propane cylinders and the Extend-a-Stay, but it feels good to have backup.

http://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Tank-Equip-Propan...amp;sr=8-5

http://www.adventurerv.net/extendastay-deluxe-propane-kit-camper-p-1285.html

At 4-5 pounds per gallon, a 2.5 gallon propane tank = 10-12lbs. or 4.5-5.4 kg. According to http://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/air-heaters.php, the HS2000 can run about 30 hours continuous. In an 8 hour night, if conditions dictated the unit run 15 min/hour = 2 hours total, then the tank would run dry after 15 nights. Of course, actual time will vary, but this is useful to calibrate.
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heaters Reply with quote

I have the bigger unit, the HS2800 in my 91 Westy. I installed it under the bench which worked great. I also did the reflectix insulation panels in my pop top and bought the bus depot window insulation kit (which is really nice BTW). I run my propex all night when its cold and it is only on probably 15-20 minutes an hour. I keep it on the lowest setting when sleeping which is about 58º F. As far as consumption goes, I have a new stock size (I think it is 3.3 gal) LPG tank that I run my stove and my propex on. Based on my fill ups, I burn about .4 gallons per night and day which includes cooking which I do all of inside. That includes heater on before bed and in the morning, and cooking dinner and breakfast. That means I can get about 7-8 nights of camping out of one tank. Assuming that a propane refill is about $4 Its not to big of a deal to go get more. Most of the nights I camp don't get below 20ºF at night, so I'm sure it would run a lot if you were camping in single digit temps. I highly recommend doing the full insulation in the top and on windows if you are going to run it at night. The insulation works amazingly well. Also, if you are debating on getting the bigger or smaller unit, GO BIG! I am really happy with the heat mine puts out, I don't think the smaller unit would quite be enough.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: