Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are these
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: What are these Reply with quote

The thing I bought had a lots of parts in a boxes. What are these, maybe not for a Thing?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1580774
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these Reply with quote

Looks to be water deflector plates

181 809 923 Left
181 809 924 Right

Goes in the engine compartment behind the intake louvers
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these Reply with quote

They look like rain deflectors that would be mounted behind the louvers inside the engine compartment.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these Reply with quote

OK and what is the purpose?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these Reply with quote

To keep rainwater off the engine as cooling air is drawn in through the louvers.
'74 models (with the air intake boxes) use drain hoses to divert rainwater to the ground.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these Reply with quote

Those diverters were mainly '73's, right?

I've never seen a '74 with them. Question
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these Reply with quote

Joe-
'74's are completely different. Instead of louvers back there, there's just a big hole. There's a ~1/2" diameter hose on a steel tube welded to the body. The hose runs down through the engine compartment floor so that water that collects in the air boxes drains down to the street. The tubes are way in the back; near the tail lights (sorry, no pix).
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these Reply with quote

Correct Gary! I was just curious as to the diverters... ive only seen them on '73's, but wondered if they were installed on '74's maybe in cold weather climates, or high rain climates?
I believe they'd fit a '74, even with the single large opening.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these Reply with quote

We need Ron or Dennis to answer that one. From the photo, it looks like they were attached with studs or bolts. I've never looked at them that closely.

For me, too much cooling has never been a problem. In 30+ years, I probably drove my Thing 5 times when it was below 50* outside.
HUGO bOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: What are these Reply with quote

All 181s that dont have the outsider deflectors, have this ones inside... mine is from 1978 and have it...
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these Reply with quote

here is both pictures right and left of a 73 we built with the deflectors from Dennis of the (Domeck Brothers) Ron will have to let you know if they are only on the 73"s
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these Reply with quote

74 scoops were installed with 3/16 pop rivets in all holes except the front 2 and they were 1/8. As for the parts list they list all as being 3/16 however this is for replacing the scoop. I did take one set off that looked like they had never been off that had all 3/16. As far as the 73 deflectors, yes 73 only for US. If you look from the outside and they were installed right the lower lip has a piece of trim like the 74 scoops and this is installed on the lower louver to run the water to the outside. You can see the trim in the pictures. 74 had a drain tube to get the water to the bottom that fit on a short nipple the is welded to the body at the bottom of the scoop. That's a lot of typing with one finger.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these Reply with quote

Sorry, the trim goes on the louver at the bottom to keep from rattle and keep from rusting.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: What are these Reply with quote

The defectors are 73 only. They are held to the inner engine compartment side with 8mm nuts and washers on threaded body studs. on a 73 Thing I remove both and add 914 Porsche oil coolers, http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Oil-Cooler-Kit-srch.html these defects water and keeps out the heat.... 74 s have outside body muffs and behind the muffs is a big hole, no louvers behind , no water baffle... If anybody needs these baffles, I have a pile that were removed to make space for the pair of 914 oil coolers...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these Reply with quote

How much you want for a set?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: