Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Subarugears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

Thankyou. It's been a few years of hard work.
Now we get it into a bus and really see if it holds up or any issues.

IMHO with a Subaru that idles at 600rpm and has EFI and good torque, you won't need a granny - but let's see what happens in reality.

I have also been working on adapting the dual-range Subaru 5MT to give 10 reversed gears on this setup and will build one in January to test out. No promises but it could be awesome if we can get it to work and hold good torque.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

Great photos!
So now we have a rear LSD, w planetary center diff w 55/45 rear/front split, full time AWD, whose first gear is 6% taller than stock (plus whatever the chosen tires adds). No locker, no granny, plus a taller top gear (5th)

Did I get those details right?Smile

Now mate the tranny to a 213hp H6 3.0 and cruise uphill in the fast lane.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

Subarugears wrote:
Time for an update. There are about 6 x Syncro conversions in various stages around the world but none have been finished yet to my knowledge. Some are EJ25, some are EG33 some are EE20 diesel.

Wanted to show you the first 'factory' Subarugears Subasyncro 5MT finished

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice work!! So, what kind of money are we looking at to get a transmission and have it outfitted with all this stuff?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Subarugears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

The Subarugears transmission with Syncro kit is USD $5000 shipped to 48 states for non-turbo and $5500 shipped to 48 states for turbo.

Torsen rear LSD option is an additional USD $1000.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

Fantastic! Thank you so much for this effort!

Can you describe how these options would work for someone with a 2WD that wants to enhance off-road capabilities? I already have a Peloquin in my stock tranny. Would one need a front diff to take advantage of this? I've been following this thread but its not completely clear which options we've ended up with here. Excited!
Subarugears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to answer your question. This transmission in this form is to enable replacement of the Syncro transmission with the Subaru one in a Syncro.

The car already has a front differential.

You're referring to a 2wd Vanagon which would want to install this and a Syncro front cradle I would guess...(diff, suspension, driveshafts etc) in order to make it AWD.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

That answers it perfectly. Thanks!
rs4-380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

Subarugears wrote:
The Subarugears transmission with Syncro kit is USD $5000 shipped to 48 states for non-turbo

so other then the 5000$ tranny, whatelse is required to actually get this functioning in a syncro?
Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

Wow - very cool update sir. Thank you.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

IIRC shifter linkage requires complete change. pattern has to do with where the pivot is in the stock van shifter vs the Subie being turned around.
rs4-380 wrote:
Subarugears wrote:
The Subarugears transmission with Syncro kit is USD $5000 shipped to 48 states for non-turbo

so other then the 5000$ tranny, whatelse is required to actually get this functioning in a syncro?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fooblahblah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
IIRC shifter linkage requires complete change. pattern has to do with where the pivot is in the stock van shifter vs the Subie being turned around.
rs4-380 wrote:
Subarugears wrote:

So does the kit Dave has for the 2wd along with the Syncro Subarugears Syncro nose cone have all the bits we'd need for a Syncro transplant (minus the transmission obviously)?

This looks killer and I'm curious how soon I can put something together. Great work everyone involved!
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

fooblahblah wrote:

So does the kit Dave has for the 2wd along with the Syncro Subarugears Syncro nose cone have all the bits we'd need for a Syncro transplant (minus the transmission obviously)?

This looks killer and I'm curious how soon I can put something together. Great work everyone involved!

I have developed a kit very similar to my 2wd installation kit to mount the Subaru AWD transmission in a Syncro. The prototype installation is complete except for a special coupler that will attach the rear shift linkage rod to the Subaru transmission selector lever. There were some tricky roadblocks with this installation caused by the lower mounting of the transmission in a Syncro. I have solved all of these, and one thing I'm very pleased with is that I've been able to place the center driveshaft output flange at the front of the transmission at the same level it was at with the stock Syncro transmission, so it should be able to achieve stock flange angles.

Todd and I are partnering on the transmission mount design. I've built the functional prototypes, and he will be streamlining them into nice laser cut/folded steel parts.

The Subaru AWD transmission fits really nicely under the Syncro. It fits nearly as well as the original VW transmission with comparable ground clearance.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

Impressive David!! Does this mean you have one up and running?
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Impressive David!! Does this mean you have one up and running?

Hi Andrew,

No, I have the drivetrain placed optimally and the prototype transmission mounts made. The connection of the shift linkage to the transmission selector lever is the last detail I need to attend to before the installation is functionally complete.

At this point, I'm not sure if I will be following through with a running and driving vehicle, or selling a first kit to an interested customer and letting them do the honors.

Glad to see you're continuing to refine and perfect the Quattro Syncro van and the reversed 1.8T. I keep an eye on your update posts. You know I'm a big fan of your work. Smile

Take care,

Dave
BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

Now if only a 2wd van could be adapted to Subaru AWD. That would be a game changer!

Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=610481&highlight=
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

it can be with the addition of a Syncro front Subframe and driveline..
they come up for sale on occasion, usually from burnt out donors.
no small task, but offroaders and Jeepers have been doing far more radical work for decades.

pic from Andrew's quattrosyncro thread..

Last edited by danfromsyr on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

BlueNorthWesty wrote:
Now if only a 2wd van could be adapted to Subaru AWD. That would be a game changer!

Who knows? Maybe that will happen once there are enough alternatives to the original Syncro transaxle on the market. It can be done right now by sourcing the front axle assembly from a Syncro. Only problem is, those are hard to come by and in short supply. But those parts could be reproduced if there were enough demand. Burley already makes upgraded upper and lower control arms and a nice steering rack mount. If someone were to reproduce the Syncro front subframe and suspension uprights, that would do it.

With Andrew's reverse rotation Quattro transmissions, this Subaru AWD transmission, the possibility of an all new heavy duty Syncro transmission from Gears, as well as people selling off original Syncro transmissions as they upgrade - that may be enough supply of AWD transmissions to make building reproduction Syncro front axles a possibility. It would be great if we got to that point. I think there are still enough inexpensive 2wd Vanagons around for this to become a popular conversion route.

Dave
BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:

With Andrew's reverse rotation Quattro transmissions, this Subaru AWD transmission, the possibility of an all new heavy duty Syncro transmission from Gears, as well as people selling off original Syncro transmissions as they upgrade - that may be enough supply of AWD transmissions to make building reproduction Syncro front axles a possibility. It would be great if we got to that point. I think there are still enough inexpensive 2wd Vanagons around for this to become a popular conversion route.
Dave

Sign me up!

Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=610481&highlight=
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to converting the first 2wd to Quattro. Watch for this soon! I love driving my van, I'm interested to see the first Suby-Syncro too, I'd love to do a side by side comparison with my van.

Andrew-
Powbum5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

Sorry if I missed this, but can the Subarugears Syncro Trans be used with a 1.8t conversion, or will it just work with a Subaru engine?

Ben
87 Syncro Westy 1.8t
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: