Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Yes, there is some "slop."

I'd estimate it to be approximately 0.020" or so.

I am not concerned about it. After all, I do want oil to freely flow in and out of the sockets and have the tips rotate at will, or whatever it is that they would like to do as they tap away for the rest of their lives.

The valves will be adjusted at 0.006" and presumably, this will take up the play in the sockets during the valve adjustment process.

Edit: I just measured some, it is in fact 20 thou. Damn, I still got it after all these years Cool
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

My Heiko 10mm swivelfoot adjusters now have 26,667 miles since installing them.
I ground the undersides of the rocker arms for clearance, about .060", and polished all radii and sharp edges to help maintain strength:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I countersunk the screw holes on undersides of the rockers about three threads up using the conical grinding stone in my Dremel kit. Washed everything very thoroughly.

I have two problem swivelfoot adjusters. At 15,000 miles, I removed each one to see how the feet were swiveling and to see if there was any outlier with too much ball/socket play.

One of the adjusters had lousy rotation with a gritty "catch" at the same place when I rotated it. This was not dirt, it was a machining error and I was unable to eradicate the catch even as I reduced the gritty feel somewhat.

The other still has a mad clackiness that comes in and out. I have added a step to my valve adjustments where I "pre-load" the ball and socket by opening the valve with the adjustment screw, then backing off to the required .006" clearance. This ensures that all inadvertent play or slop is truly pressed out of the valve train. Still, I get this in-and-out clackclackclack on the right side of the engine.

I do hope that it is not a ball/socket anomaly, but at this point, the engine has run fine through some horrific temperatures (535* from a towel in the cooling fan/ steady 434* CHT outside of Baker CA in July/ long hill climbs), and I have had not a speck of concern for valves or seats. So clack away, but I ask it to please don't drop a foot clean off the adjusting screw ball end.
Colin
(now at the body shop at 67,750 miles)

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Reading Colin's thread, I believe Heinko should sell individual units so defective ones can be replaced. I am afraid to use them now if each time one fails I have to order a full set. Its like Christmas tree lights - why buy a set if when one bulb fails I have to replace the whole set. That means each person who buys a set must buy two sets so they have spares. That doubles the cost - that or price and ship say 12 in a set so there are 4 spares.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Excellent idea. I think selling singles would be fine, as that kind of mileage is not reasonable in that kind of time frame for most...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Excellent idea. I think selling singles would be fine, as that kind of mileage is not reasonable in that kind of time frame for most...

"that kind of mileage is not reasonable in that kind of time frame for most"

Please define "that kind of mileage" as "not reasonable" in "that kind of time frame" for "most", most what?who?.
If I was your essay grader, the red ink would be flowing like a massacre . . .
Colin Razz
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

"that kind of mileage is not reasonable in that kind of time frame for most"

Please define "that kind of mileage" as "not reasonable" in "that kind of time frame".
Inartfully Yours,
Colin

SGKent wrote:
Reading Colin's thread...

Amskeptic wrote:
...two problem swivel feel adjusters... ...15,000 miles...

My point was that many folks here won't put 15,000 or 22,000 harsh miles on their new adjusters in half a decade or more. In some cases, these might outlast the owners. Though you said it yourself last month, when one is eating up the road, they must have a different set of standards than the ice cream car enthusiast... Razz

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
... the red ink would be flowing like a massacre . . .
Colin Razz
Think How does a massacre flow? Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
... the red ink would be flowing like a massacre . . .
Colin Razz
Think How does a massacre flow? Very Happy

Downhill, of course.
"The red ink would be flowing from a massacre of sufficient numbers of human beings to initiate a liquid dispersal event that I believe you humans would call 'a river of blood'."
Mr. Colspock
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Ah - The River of Blood, StarTrek 29.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Ah - The River of Blood, StarTrek 29.

So yes, Heiko could shunt aside a set of $85.00 swivelfoot adjusters to use as single replenishment spares for $20.00 ( shp incl ).
Colin
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I checked out thesamba and my topics in the forum. I noticed that there was an ongoing dicussion about the swivel foot adjusters and I never got any notification from tbesamba. WTH?

I assure you I will be selling you individual adjusters. $20 including shipping sounds good to me.
I just placed an order with the mamufacturer and they should get here soon. I will first help you guys who already use the adjuster that you bought from me before i send out anymore sets.
Please PM me with how many you need. As soon as I get them I will then get back to you and ask for money Wink

Greetings,
Heiko
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Alright guys,
I took delivery of a small batch of swivel foot adjusters. I will set aside one set to sell individual adjusters. If you like a single or multiple adjusters but not a whole set let me know. The single adjuster will be $20 that includes shiping. If you buy more than one the price goes down to $15 each, also including shipping or still a whole set for $85.
Please send me PM through the TheSamba.com system.
Stock is limited.
Greetings,
Heiko
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

To those of you who've purchase these, would you recommend them? Thanks.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

CarlosZ wrote:
To those of you who've purchase these, would you recommend them? Thanks.

I am certainly happy enough with mine at this point in time, presently have about 15K miles on them.
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I had a batch of swivel foot adjusters that just sold out but no worries. There are more where those cam from.
I am already working on the next bulk order. Give it a couple of weeks.
,Heiko
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Hey guys,
i just placed an order for the next small batch.
They should be here in a couple of weeks.
Greetings,
Heiko
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone with an even remotely sane mind would trust a phlegling company with ZERO background with type 4 motors with one of THE most critical parts in the build? Buy the Genuine Porsche ones and be done with it. I have sat back and commically watched these newly found swivel feet adjusters ....fail. And fail again. Pay once....cry once.
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

I respect your opinion.
But there is one problem with your statement. The Porsche swivel foot adjusters don't fit into the rockers of a 1.8 or 2.0 type 4 engine. They have M8 thread whereas the rocker of said engines have M10 thread. Buy Porsche parts and be done with it... it isn't quite that simple.
So, if one wants to do the mod with Genuine Porsche parts they have to first find a complete, serviceable rocker assembly out of a Porsche type 4 or a 1.7 VW type 4 to be able to do it.

The swivel foot adjusters that I order from a German manufacturer are of good quality but of course you may have your doubts.

Vdub guys like to tinker. That is what we do. BTW I am not just selling those, I also run them in my own type 4 motor.
You don't have to like it and you can do everything your way but don't expect everyone to do the same.

Greetings,
Heiko
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

heiko910 wrote:
I respect your opinion.
But there is one problem with your statement. The Porsche swivel foot adjusters don't fit into the rockers of a 1.8 or 2.0 type 4 engine. They have M8 thread whereas the rocker of said engines have M10 thread. Buy Porsche parts and be done with it... it isn't quite that simple.
So, if one wants to do the mod with Genuine Porsche parts they have to first find a complete, serviceable rocker assembly out of a Porsche type 4 or a 1.7 VW type 4 to be able to do it.

The swivel foot adjusters that I order from a German manufacturer are of good quality but of course you may have your doubts.

Vdub guys like to tinker. That is what we do. BTW I am not just selling those, I also run them in my own type 4 motor.
You don't have to like it and you can do everything your way but don't expect everyone to do the same.

Greetings,
Heiko

Very Happy

Colin
(still ticking along at 30,000 miles now on my Heiko SwivelFoot Adjusters)
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

So Colin for 189,000 miles you had zero issues with Genuine Porsche swivel feet. But after only 15,000 miles 2 of the 8 were not up to snuff? That's a 25%
failure rate in my book. I am well aware of what needs to be done to 1.7 rockers. My Ham heads just cannot be guinea pigs for an untested unknown supplier of swivel feet. Regardless of where they are produced. Unless they are produced by Wizeman who is the producer for these Genuine Porsche adjusters....I am not willing to gamble my entirely new engine to save 200 bucks. I am sure you will find many buyers for these though. And I am not knocking you in any way for dicovering these and making them available. To each his own. If you want to talk tinkering...virtually no one on this site can replace their valve stems once they are destroyed. So yeah...tinker away. And btw I don't give a flying fuck what anyone else decides to do with their engine build. I don't expect anyone to do their homework nor do I care. There is a sucker born every day.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: