Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Barring some kind of disaster, I'll be there!

Every day I have somebody comment on it. Today a lady pulled up next to me with her window down to tell me how much she loved it. Last week a phone company truck followed me to work to tell me about his brother's 68 Squareback. Everywhere I go people want to talk about it, and my wife says whenever she drives it she gets the same thing. It always reinforces to me that these cars should be driven often, even daily if you can!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Great looking Squareback. Beautiful color Wink
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Got in some fishing today.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

It's been three years and 30,000 miles this month, and still purring along! I made a stop at Home Depot this morning:

In addition to the things I've posted before, I've replaced my ignition switch electrical portion with a Standard Motor Products German-made 71 Bug switch, and I've installed Jim Adney's fuel tank overflow hose kit. I can't remember if I mentioned previously, but two years ago I bought and installed a set of Sur-Trak drive axle assemblies (made in China by Wonh Industries) from Rock Auto. As many of you are aware, the automatic cars use the same CV's as manual transmission cars, but the axles are different lengths (and the left and right sides are different from each other as well). As a test, I decided to try these and see how they worked out. These are all-new assemblies; fit and finish looked very nice, and I added more CV grease when I installed them. They now have a little over 20,000 miles on them, and are performing fine. No play, no noises, and the boots still look new. And, I still have my original axles as spares.

Oh, and I installed ISP's coco mat in the rear over my rubber mat. I think that's it.
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Got in some fishing today.

This is a really good pic...the green paint and brown interior really go with the scenery!
my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks!
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Our house sold and we finished moving this weekend. The Squareback made many, many trips to the storage unit -- earning its keep!

jgerock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Great thread. It appears you haven't replaced the hatch seal. The first pictures after purchase looks like the rear mat has water stains. Does the hatch leak when it rains?

Being a long-time Griot's Garage customer, I'd be ALL over that paint with a random orbit polisher and their products.

Nice "sport" wheels too.

Some of my previous work on an E30 BMW that sat outside all of it's life.

jgerock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Donnie strickland wrote:
Mike, what do you like about the black over the yellow? Is it more adhesive? Better working qualities? Something else?

Yes, the yellow Gorilla snot does seem to work slightly better (it was 3M's original formula), but the black blends in with seals better. I used both with good results, and actually prefer the black myself. Especially IF you're doing a bunch of seals. The big trick I learned with it, is to apply it to both surfaces, as it then acts more like a "contact" cement. That seems to make it hold better, when doing curved parts. Also, make sure you have some "painters" tape on hand, to help hold the seals in place.

I used to use the Yellow 3M weatherstrip adhesive but switched to this product which worked out very well on my BMW. It was recommended to me by a 3M employee who owns a Vintage BMW. It is black - follow directions when using.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

jgerock wrote:
Great thread. It appears you haven't replaced the hatch seal. The first pictures after purchase looks like the rear mat has water stains. Does the hatch leak when it rains?

The hatch seal has not been replaced. It probably wouldn't hurt to do so, but it doesn't leak. The stains were from water which came in at the bottom of the rear side windows, but after I replaced those seals that cured it. The windshield seal developed a leak after a few months, and I also replaced that one. The car is nice and dry now.

(By the way, the Squareback has two seals at the hatch. One goes around the perimeter, and the other runs straight across right below the cargo floor. These are important, not only to keep water out, but exhaust fumes as well. The reason the Type 3 has a single exhaust exiting at the left rear corner is so that the car's slipstream will pull as much exhaust as possible away from the hatch. The Bug doesn't need such placement.)

I was extremely lucky in finding a car which had been garage kept all its life. When we find our next house, it'll be in a garage there as well.

Last edited by Donnie strickland on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

It was a brisk 12 degrees this morning at startup! No problems though, other than the roads still being a little icy on the way to town...

Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

A few weeks ago we got 3 inches of rain in 24 hours, after which I found wet carpet on the left side of the driver's side floorboard. A little investigation revealed that the water was coming from the heater vent, and so I removed the sill plate to check for the source.

The sills have three holes, which I assume are paint drain holes. The holes on my car were covered with the same grey rubberized fabric tape that was used on my windshield frame holes. The tape over one of the holes had lifted slightly, allowing the water in:

I used some silicone sealant on all three holes to stop the water, and found a couple of small rust spots which I treated while I was there. Now my floors are dry again -- if you have water getting in, check your sills!
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

I was getting ready to change my points and condenser the other day, so I stopped by NAPA to get the parts. I usually use their Echlin brand ignition stuff, but they had Bosch points in stock, so I said "Why not?"

One side of the box -- " Made in Germany":

The other side -- "Made in Brazil" -- what the?

But when I got the points out, they were way out of whack. They weren't parallel on either axis, so that only a small part of each side was touching:

It's hard to get a good picture, but it's worse even than it looks here. I took them back and got the Echlin points I normally use. Notice the difference:

And the Echlin points come with a capsule of grease for the rider:

Just something to watch for next time you're points shopping!
corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Love seeing your Square out and about doing errands and everyday things.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Taekwondo lessons for Everett on a rainy night...

Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Made a $10 eBay purchase for study purposes (it's the 1972 version, with late Type 3 info). I don't have any problems now, but just in case...

Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

I had posted in the "Fuel Injection Relief" thread on January 30 about Temp Sensor II being available again at Bus Depot:
http://www.busdepot.com/0280130012

These are new production US-made units. I bought one to try, and it arrived on February 16. I tested at three repeatable temperatures which I can confirm as accurate: 70, 120 and 212 Fahrenheit. Here are the results:

70=2400 ohms
120=1140 ohms
212=241 ohms

These seem to agree well with Richard Atwell's chart.

I installed it a day or two later and can report it's working fine. Fuel mileage is exactly the same and drivability is excellent as always.
Tangerine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

I ordered one of those for my T3, but I haven't installed it yet. Got it more for future use.
I'm looking forward to seeing you at the '18 Invasion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

At tonight's taekwondo lesson, as soon as I pulled in I knew where I should park -- past and present!

Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Got the Squareback moved into its new INDOOR home! It's been working hard these last few days, helping to move stuff, being driven by the wife. As you can see we don't have everything put away yet.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: