Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hand Crank Nut
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thing7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

So I've found the hand crank for sale at some of the online vw places, but none of them have the nut. Any ideas where to get the nut?
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

I've always wanted one of those crank nuts and the handle too.

It's a shame it can't be reproduced somehow. I had a buddy that probably
could make one if I got him an example but getting the example is the fun part!

I wonder how much trouble it'd be to make one?
if you had welding skills and could join the crank handle tip part to an existing crank nut maybe...

May be plan B if they are that hard to come by..

But as far as locating one, they appear on the samba on occasion for sale.
ebay too probably.

good luck with your search!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Ardenne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

A french website seems to sell it, it does not say it is for a thing but it is the same part number

https://www.mecatechnic.com/fr-FR/122105261-starting-dog-andrehklaue_C032248.htm
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

The crank and the nut are pretty scarce. A military piece of equipment if that helps.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

Are these the same? What is for a Thing has a 122 part # and there are 4 nuts listed in the classifieds here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

This looks like one too - It's not Bus - Buses don't have the hole through the center:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1882897

There are usually more in the Classifieds here than what I see now so you could keep an eye on that.
You might have to search the Early Bus or all sections too if you are only looking in Thing Parts.
People often mis-list the Industrial/Things ones as Bus.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

Hi
Everything is there...enjoy Cool
http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/andrehklaue-kafer.html
Thing7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
This looks like one too - It's not Bus - Buses don't have the hole through the center:

There are usually more in the Classifieds here than what I see now so you could keep an eye on that.
You might have to search the Early Bus or all sections too if you are only looking in Thing Parts.

So this one for the bus will fit a Thing? I see a few others for Type 2 bus. Can anyone confirm that these are interchangeable?
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

crank handle, crank nut and washer $75 on Samba http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1978468
there are 3 or 4 crank nuts on Samba Search: crank nut There is a fellow from Munich who has emerged with a huge cache of Thing parts.. He claims he is selling for an "old man" He contacted a number of VW nuts (like me) and offered parts prior to posting on Samba. Sadly he wanted to sell groups pf parts for retail plus prices... Not sure if he even has parts or just pictures from a warehouse filled with vintage VW parts.... . Everett make and important point about the torque needed to start a Thing...... Without warm weather and a perfectly running engine starting with the crank handle may require a few Olympic weight lifters....

Another set handle and nut $200 Here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1962545

Tons of handles on Samba for $75

The threaded hole at the end of the crank shaft is the same for all air cooled VWs. So as long and the handle and crank nut are a pair (made to be used together) they will work on any air cooled VW. NOTE; Some VWs will need to add a crank hndle access hole added as some VWs came with no Crank handle hole.

Last edited by kubelmann on Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:33 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

Thing7 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

So this one for the bus will fit a Thing? I see a few others for Type 2 bus. Can anyone confirm that these are interchangeable?

I cannot confirm that but I don't see why not -- the engine threads don't change as far as I know.

kubelmann lists some other crank start parts but I think you want the crank nut with the hole in the center and the crank handle with the post to match that as only those are "correct" for a Thing?

I'm not sure on this but:
You may need the post and hole to get enough torque to crank over a 1600.
The earlier ones without the hole were for 25hp Bugs and 25hp/36hp Buses, which are lower compressions and fairly easy to crank.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

I have an aftermarket hand crank I will sell. I know Mike at Thingparts.com has the Nut for sale.
www.Facebook.com/vwthingregistry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thing7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

Can anyone verify the length of the hand crank? The part that goes through the bumper up to the bend in the handle?
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

11 1/4" including the tip.
Thing7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
11 1/4" including the tip.

Is this where I make a joke about just the tip? haha.

Thanks!
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

I found a Thing crank nut with the hole through it at OCTO a few years ago, and have a Thing crank handle from Al Capulco, with the extension to fit in the hole.
I have to modify the engine tin and fit it onto my 74,
I will post a pic when I go to the garage and find it. It has a 181 part number.
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

I bought the nut and the crank from thethingshop about 4 years ago. I see they still sell the crank. Maybe they have the pulley nut too. Give them a call
http://www.thethingshop.com/HAND-CRANK-ENGINE/productinfo/181012301/
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

Zylinderkopf wrote:
I bought the nut and the crank from thethingshop about 4 years ago. I see they still sell the crank. Maybe they have the pulley nut too. Give them a call
http://www.thethingshop.com/HAND-CRANK-ENGINE/productinfo/181012301/

I tried the Thing Shop several years ago and they were no longer available.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

I contacted the thing shop about the link on the web page, they said they would remove it and that they have no plans to reproduce the nut.

rats!

Update: the THING shop emailed me back, they did remove the link to the crank nut.

T

Last edited by doublecanister on Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Thing7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

What's the best method for tightening the pulley nut/bolt? And what's the recommended torque?
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

Thing7 wrote:
What's the best method for tightening the pulley nut/bolt? And what's the recommended torque?

X2 for me as well,
Santa located me one (and a handle) for Christmas!

Dancing
T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: