Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 brakes install on VW beetle
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: 356 brakes install on VW beetle Reply with quote

Ive looked at other posts on this topic but haven't the straight answers im looking for; Need someone KNOWLEDGABLE.
Question 1: is using 356 B brakes a straight bolt on for an early 50's VW? I have a link pin front end and stock crash box tranny. Ive read that the front VW spindles are smaller than the B brake drums need so have to use different bearings? I've also been told that the rear bearing "holder" or cover needs to be used from the Porsche not the VW because the VW one is too deep and allows for slop in the bearing.
I would just like the 100% facts. I have backing plates, drums and all hardware.
Question 2: is this same for either A or B style brakes then? What part does the "oil slinger" play in this adaptation on the A brakes?
I have access to either type so just want to weight the work involved with using either type.
Question 3: Anyone recommend someone who can "turn" the drums? Im located near Sacramento, CA. I dont know if I trust the local "les Schwab" type places to touch them. the "B" style drums I would like to use appear to have sufficient liner left, came from a driving car.
Thanks for input all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 356 brakes install on VW beetle Reply with quote

I have installed B-brakes on a 56 type 1 (1991) and A-brakes on a 58 Ghia (ongoing). Here is my short-list:

- Use VW pre-65 front bearings
- Use a washer inside rear axle nut
- Find a way to get more "free length" of the e-brake cable (if you're lucky you can adjust it, but in my recent case it wasn't possible)
- I haven't seen any problems in using VW rear bearing holder.
- Oilslinger is integrated in the rear drums on Porsche. Pre-January-1958 drums have a separate piece bolted in the drum. Later ones have the function integrated in the drum with no extra parts.
- There is no difference in effort using A or B drums
- If you have the drums turned you should have the linings "radiused" at the same time to make them fit to the new diameter, otherwise you lose a lot of stopping power.
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: 356 brakes install on VW beetle Reply with quote

Regarding the bearing holders:

As I wanted to make sure I haven't done anything wrong I did pull one rear drum yesterday evening.

The Porsche backing plate have the same thickness as the VW so the claim that the bearing will not seat properly is simply not true.

However, if you have late style axles with the seal pressed in from behind in the bearing holder you need to have a small spacer as the mating surface of the Porsche drum is much bigger than the VW. I had so on my 1956 beetle so I know it works fine.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 brakes install on VW beetle Reply with quote

tobiasax wrote:
I have installed B-brakes on a 56 type 1 (1991) and A-brakes on a 58 Ghia (ongoing). Here is my short-list:
- Use a washer inside rear axle nut
356 drums have a shorter snout than VW drums. This allows the end of the axle splines to protrude slightly past the drum. Late preA and early A cars used a special washer ,with a early VW nut, that is beveled on the back side to provide spline clearance. These special washers have been NLA for many years, and some have been known to crack, reducing torque on the drum. Spline failure of the axle and drum will occur in these instances. Later 356 used a special nut that has a flange built in with a deep bevel to take the place of the previous nut/washer combo. These nuts are similar to those used on later VW, but THEY ARE NOT THE SAME (failure alert)! Simple washers that fit over the splines will give limited purchase to the 6 points of the early VW hex nut, and may not be hard enough to retain torque in the long haul.
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: 356 brakes install on VW beetle Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Simple washers that fit over the splines will give limited purchase to the 6 points of the early VW hex nut, and may not be hard enough to retain torque in the long haul.

Very good info regarding the nut/washer issue. However, I don't understand the quoted part above. A steel washer should do the trick as long as it is of a somewhat decent quality. Steel does not creep under load (unless in very high temperatures), so you won't lose "torque" over time. If that would be the case the cast steel VW drum would also creep making it come lose.

Basically your washer needs to be of a steel with at least as high yield strength as the crappy steel drum and with a surface area at least as big as where the VW drum hits the inner spacer.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 brakes install on VW beetle Reply with quote

.The problem with using a standard flat washer, beyond potential hardness issues, is that the I.D. has to be big enough to fit over the splines of the axle, so that the points of the hex are nearly all that is in contact with the washer. Not enough, IMHO. The I.D. of the Porsche washer, with the relief on the back side, is the size of the threaded area of the axle. The difference in I.D. is probably around 6 or 7mm! It's not really fair to compare VW's weak cast iron drums to 356 drums with hard steel inserts for the splines on their aluminum drums. VW stripped splines are common place, and drums usually can be done without axle replacement. Damaged splines are rare on 356, but when they occur, axle replacement is almost always needed. That means that the differential will have to be disassembled, just like split case VW transmissions.
Some discussion, with photos are here:
http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3679
In regard to your washer method, a good hardness test would be to give it a good whack with a hammer while the washer is in a vice. If it bends, it's soft. If you chose to use your washer, I would recommend using a later VW nut with the flange. Another point of interest is that the flanged 356 nut has a raised section on the drum seating area. This was done to capture only the hard steel insert. I suppose that the factory guys did not want contact with the aluminum, which expands at a greater rate during use, potentially loosening the nut, due to thread stretch. They did not make changes for no reason. Interesting to note, the 356 washers usually cracked in a circle, near the transition. BTW, 356 had to harness 2 or 3 times the power of VW of the era.
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 brakes install on VW beetle Reply with quote

The surface area is sufficient. The axial load is the same on VW and Porsche. It's just steel, no rocket science.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 brakes install on VW beetle Reply with quote

If you think so, OK, but I can't tell folks when they have problems in that area that it is in their imagination. I have seen it many times over the decades. Just finished up a '57 356 Rudge wheel car in the shop that had some of the exact problems that I mentioned. Repair bill was over $4000. Crying or Very sad
BTW, those early oil slingers that bolt to the drum are a no go. The metal is far too soft for the torque. If you want to use them, trim the I.D large enough to fit over the seal spacer. To make up the difference in depth, use a OG stock gland nut wavey washer, if needed, plenty hard. Be sure the slinger ID clears the washer on drum installation.
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 356 brakes install on VW beetle Reply with quote

Here's what I came up with to mount pre 58 356A brakes on a 1954 VW:

- you need a special washer indeed, I had one machined from a good chrome steel with a beveled area to accept the spline, total depth was about 5mm, can share the drawing. It allow you to use the normal VW nut again.
- enlarge the e brake cables with threaded rods and a long nut (25 mm M6) to connect them. Had to cut off about 20 mm of the original thread, this is required to have enough length for proper e brake adjusting. The long nut should have a max. outer diameter of 8.5 mm. Not sure about the position of the brake cylinders on rear Porsche axles, it should be on the bottom on your VW.
- original front soft brake lines were about 30 mm to long, the ones for later bugs and 55-67 busses work well.
- rear hard brake lines should be about 50 mm longer than original length
- using modern roller/barrel bearings for VWs will work on your Porsche brake drums too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 brakes install on VW beetle Reply with quote

Just wanted to post my experience with putting Porsche 356b brakes on my 58 Ghia with a split case transmission. Everything on the chassis is stock.

First, I sent the drums and brake shoes to Martin at the Machine Shop in Colorado Springs, CO. I thought the drums might need to be relined, but Martin called and said they were within spec and only needed to be turned. He cleaned all the drums and brake shoes, installed new pads and arched them to the drums. I also had him install VW bearings (he had the bearings in stock and knew exactly what to do) on the front drums and check the rear drum spines to make sure they were solid.

Martin was extremely fast and professional and great to deal with. It took less than two weeks to ship him the drums and get them back! I highly recommend his work.

With the VW bearings installed the front drums went on with no modifications using stock VW spindles. I used stock VW soft lines too.

The rear drums bolted right on too, with no modifications (the bearing caps fit just fine), though I did use Porsche 356 castle nuts for the rear drums.

The only issue I had was e-brake cables. With new shoes the stock cables were a bit too short. Here is a breakdown of type one cable sizes that are close and potential issues:

58-64 (113609721F) 69" - these were a tad too short

65-67 (113609721L) 70.4" - these work, but I had little to no future adjustment

68 only (113609721M) 70.2" - these work with a little extra future adjustment

73-79 (133609721) 69.3" - these might just work once my shoes break in

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 brakes install on VW beetle Reply with quote

Your stock e brake cables should be fine just add a shortening kit ive seen folks fix that problem with them ...👇👇

https://aapistons.com/products/cable-shortening-kit-emergency-brake-only
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 brakes install on VW beetle Reply with quote

Good point on the axle castle nuts. 356 rear drums have a shorter snout than VW. Special 356 nut spacer washers must be used in combination with VW nuts, or use 356 nuts with the built on flange. VW flange nuts are NOT the same
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 356 brakes install on VW beetle Reply with quote

Unfortunately, my original cables were too short to begin with, so a shortening kit wouldn't have worked. The shortening kit looks great for when I replace the cables I have, then I can buy longer cables and cut them to the right length. Thanks for the link.
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 356 brakes install on VW beetle Reply with quote

You can use the shortening kit to make longer cables, if you buy two sets of cables and cut them to get two longer pieces.
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 356 brakes install on VW beetle Reply with quote

Nice clean install! I concur, Martin is great to deal with and does quality work. No issues on the work he did on my drums.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: