Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1982 Subaru Westy Build Log - Dorothy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: 1982 Subaru Westy Build Log - Dorothy Reply with quote

Hello All,

I am finally getting around to putting up a log for my van. I got it about a year and a half ago. I always intended to do this along side the work, but never wanted to stop working long enough to do it.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading so many build logs on here. My hope is to provide some enjoyment for others. I never would have gotten as far as I have without this community and all of the knowledge that is on this site.

The van is a 1982 manual. I got it with an EJ22 conversion, new paint within a year prior, and new fuel lines all around. It's about as rust free as you can get inside and out.

The van right after I got her:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I took lots of pictures during the work I did and I'm thinking I'll walk through it all chronologically.
cbsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Subaru Westy Build Log - Dorothy Reply with quote

This is my first Vanagon. I've done work on other vehicles before, but never anything as extensive as this. My goal was a four-season camping machine. - better insulation, add heater, add security, upgrade camper electrical system and refrigerator.

I started with a couple simple things to get my toes wet. First was replacing the engine lid insulation.

cbsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Subaru Westy Build Log - Dorothy Reply with quote

Next I replaced all the exterior lights with the GW exterior LED kit to help improve the overall visibility of the van, and replaced the headlights to improve my visibility of the road. I went with a past recommendation from Jay Brown. I installed the headlight relay that he sells, and put Osram Hyper 85/80W H4 bulbs into Cibie eCode 7" lenses. I would highly recommend.

After reading though the Lizardskin and Monstaliner posts, I decided I wanted to tackle it myself. I stripped everything out of the interior of the van, and put all hardware in labeled plastic bags. I had been tempted for a while by the idea of putting in a floor box in the space opposite the propane tank. Once everything was out, I decided it was now or never. I measured the space and built a cardboard mock-up. I then put the flat design into AutoCAD to have the sheet metal cut. I went to a friends house (professional welder) to help me put it together.

Everything to the left of the brace will be underneath the bench seat, to maximize space used in the floor. I didn't want it to be obvious from the outside so it is only 5" deep. It hangs below the frame rail about an inch. It is all 12 ga steel.

I had to pause for a moment to think about what I was doing before we started this part.

After welding:

Coated inside and out with POR-15:

Box lid to come..
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 Subaru Westy Build Log - Dorothy Reply with quote

Like!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 Subaru Westy Build Log - Dorothy Reply with quote

Very nice! I hope install an exterior Propex in that spot at some point, maybe in 2018.
It gets cold in New England but for now the Mr. Buddy Heater and proper ventilation will do.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Subaru Westy Build Log - Dorothy Reply with quote

Is it OK to ask what you are going to keep in that box? I can understand that it might be a secret--but now, you have shown us the box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Subaru Westy Build Log - Dorothy Reply with quote

I'm so down with this build.

Progress on the box looks great. There's so much stuff I'd love to store in that dead space. Share the acad file?
cbsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Subaru Westy Build Log - Dorothy Reply with quote

Honestly, I wanted a safe place to put guns. Target shooting is a hobby, and I wanted to be able to leave them in the van at a trailhead without having to worry. I believe that trailheads/campsites are generally pretty safe, but I thought it would be a fun project and the piece of mind wouldn't hurt.

Anyways,
I wanted the lid to lie flush with the floor and be sealed. At first I was trying to come up with a hinge that would work, but settled on a lid that completely lifts out. There is a ledge along the wall that the lid sits on. The entire ledge is gasketed to seal it, and it locks in place with ¼ turn cam locks. I got some flush handles to lift the lid out and used sheets of bulk gasketing to seal the back of them. I fastened the handles in place, with the gasket wrapping over the back, then cut off the excess.

The overall lid was cut with the rest of the sheet metal, but I had to cut the holes for the locks and handles. I used a plasma cutter to cut out the shape of the handles, and then cleaned everything up with a reamer bit. After that, I ran it through the powder coat line at work.

The back of the handle with gasketing to seal it.

I used spray adhesive to attach foam to the back of the lid to keep anything from rattling against the lid.

cbsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Subaru Westy Build Log - Dorothy Reply with quote

Erste - yes, I can share the acad file, PM me and I'll send via email.

I liked the GW idea (it was the first place I saw it at least) of sealing up the holes for the step pads, my friend made quick work - fill and grind smooth.

I was planning on putting a Propex underneath the stock refrigerator location and either putting shelving above it or a Truckfridge. While underneath the van, I realized there was enough room to mount an HS2211 in the dead space above the transmission. I searched a little, but didn't see anything posted where it was done this way. After a lot of measuring, I knew it would fit if I cut out the ~2" flange that held the old metal insulation retainers. I decided to go this route and ordered one from Westy Ventures.

I cut out the flange and was able to slide the heater up and attach it. I used a hole saw to cut out the locations for the air vents. The inlet is on top and terminates at the hole, underneath the bench. The heat duct runs through the lower hole, along the bottom corner of the bench seat, and exhausts out a hole in the bench face.

I put the ducts on, bent them into the correct shape, and then removed them to insulate. I covered them first with 2" pipe insulation and then with a very healthy amount of gorilla tape. They are completely rigid now.

Here they are installed:

cbsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Subaru Westy Build Log - Dorothy Reply with quote

The next part was spraying on LizardSkin.

I covered anything with bare metal in POR15. I used a nylon cup brush to scuff everything before-hand (sand paper where it wouldn't reach). After the laborious process of cleaning and masking everything, I waited for a 90 degree day to do the spraying. I used 4 gallons of SC and 2 of CI, sprayed on with LizardSkin's spray gun.

After the many hours of prep, spraying was extremely satisfying. I tested a small amount on cardboard, and found it easy to keep the coats even. Every time I re-filled the gun, I would do a quick test-spray.

Right after spraying:

After everything dried:

vanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Subaru Westy Build Log - Dorothy Reply with quote

This is looking good. Whats the current status?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: