Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Shorty Project
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ihfarmer3339
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: VW Shorty Project Reply with quote

I just bought a 59'? vw shorty bus out of a cow lot for very cheap! The car is missing an engine but I have an old 1600 cc engine out of a 72' super beetle. Is this engine compatible to be mounted onto this transaxle? I am new to VW type 2's (restored the super beetle) but I really think this will be a great little car to put around in! Thanks!
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Shorty Project Reply with quote

it will depend on what clutch and flywheel is on the motor.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
ihfarmer3339
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Shorty Project Reply with quote

So I just need to get a flywheel that will fit in the bell housing of the transaxle? Is the bolt pattern for the engine and bell house, the same?
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: VW Shorty Project Reply with quote

the flywheel, clutch pressure plate, etc needs to all be compatible. The starter also has to match up. then there is the 6v vs 12v.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
ihfarmer3339
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Shorty Project Reply with quote

This car doesn't have any wiring in it, got ripped out years ago, before I bought it. So I'm definitely building it 12v, the engine I'm wanting to use is also 12v. Thanks everyone! I'm excited to get started! I'll probably match the engine and all after I finish the transaxle rebuild.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Shorty Project Reply with quote

Pictures?
ihfarmer3339
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Shorty Project Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Shorty Project Reply with quote

Wire harnesses are available from many sources. If you will drive this thing on the street you are going to have to do it all. Wiring Works has a good rep with many folks here.
There are a number of good threads about 6volt/12volt engine & trans combinations if you do a search on the Split Bus forum.
What is the current problem with the trans?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ihfarmer3339
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Shorty Project Reply with quote

The input shaft bearing is locked up, and the whole thing just needs to be cleaned up and fresh oil and seals in it. I opened it up, all the gears are in good shape, everything is tight I just need to replace the input shaft bearing, and clean everything up inside!
buggerdman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Shorty Project Reply with quote

that looks like a wild little project! keep us posted
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: