Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Case plug troubles...
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nautha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Case plug troubles... Reply with quote

Hello, has anyone ever removed (for galley cleaning..) those two plugs in the case?
They are factory punched but beside this, even grinding the notched parts, they seem very hard to remove, specially the one on the top.
Haven't found any related topic to these specific plugs.
I have to remove these since they are already ruined (picture is for purpose only, this is not my specific crankcase..).

Any suggestion will be appreciated, thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Case plug troubles... Reply with quote

top isant a gally plug leave it alone. the lower is the pickup plug. you can remove the pickup and clean from that side if needed. that kinda looks like a old case....very old case. like the ones used a horse drawn carts.or chariots on fire..... Wink
nautha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Case plug troubles... Reply with quote

Thanks Mark for the reply but as i said, i have to remove them because ruined (very) trying to unplug them.
Duplicate them, specially the big one, would not be a prob since i have a friend that work with cnc machines and can do one clone.
Problem seems to be that these are factory glued... Rolling Eyes
Oh, case is from a 62 beetle but its the same as the one in the picture that is not mine, its an image picked up on the net
nautha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Case plug troubles... Reply with quote

Anyway, does anybody knows the thread sizes of those two plugs? The lower (pick-up galley) should be a m16 but dont know the pitch...ant the other?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Case plug troubles... Reply with quote

If you pull them out, you can measure with a thread gage:

Brian71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Case plug troubles... Reply with quote

An impact gun should get those out of there.
nautha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Case plug troubles... Reply with quote

Brian71 wrote:
An impact gun should get those out of there.

Mmhh, i will not take the risk to crack the magnesium case putting an impact wrench in tha particular "tin" area..
nautha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Case plug troubles... Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
If you pull them out, you can measure with a thread gage:

?
Thats the concern...pull them out..
I know about this, but what if nobody knows anything about this plug size, there is not any similar plug to look between the ones offered by vendors and you dont have access to the thread because the plug is freezed on..
By the way and from the exterior, it looks to be an M30x1.50 pitch...will see.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Case plug troubles... Reply with quote

Drill it and plug it.
If the plug is stuck in the case leave it stuck, why take it out? Drill a hole in it, do whatever it is you need to do, then plug the hole.

You can put a plug in a plug, although, I've never tried plug in a plug in a plug, but that would probably work fine too, to infinity.
They also do not need to be threaded.
Bore it big enough to get a clean hole, make a brass or aluminum plug for .001" press, apply locktite, drive in. They seal more reliably than tapered thread, but there is something about human nature that just likes to thread things, so don't hold back, that's what it's about anyway.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: