Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater blowing 20a fuse in fuse block
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Heater blowing 20a fuse in fuse block Reply with quote

My gas heater is blowing the 20a fuse in the fuse block, not the 8a fuse on the heater. I have read till my eyes cross and find a lot about the 8a fuse but not much about the 20a fuse. However I did find on post from 5 years ago that went to 4 pages about the 20a amp fuse and they never did find the cause. I am wondering if anyone has a more up to date idea why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Heater blowing 20a fuse in fuse block Reply with quote

Hey ldj, I had the same issue, my thermostat was stuck causing overheating and blowing the fuse
Check out this thread. I tore mine apart. cleaned, lubed and adjusted and it works great now
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6947424
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater blowing 20a fuse in fuse block Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
My gas heater is blowing the 20a fuse in the fuse block, not the 8a fuse on the heater. I have read till my eyes cross and find a lot about the 8a fuse but not much about the 20a fuse. However I did find on post from 5 years ago that went to 4 pages about the 20a amp fuse and they never did find the cause. I am wondering if anyone has a more up to date idea why?

That isn't my problem but I think I am making progress. I just had Thing painted and I had defroster set to defrost and the pipe removed. Painter taped up that hole and I suppose not enough air leaving heater. I removed tape and 16A fuse doesn't plow now but 8a fuse does. I put candy thermometer in vent and fuse blows at 160*. What do I adjust to make it not blow at such a low temp. Is it on the fuse holder or where that thing is that has a probe going down into the heater. Which ever, which way to turn to make it where the fuse won't blow at such a low temp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater blowing 20a fuse in fuse block Reply with quote

Progress, I finally found a good enough picture of the overheating switch and found a screw I thought was holding it down was the adjustment screw. It was screwed all way down. I backed it out some and now with the thermostat about 1/3 out cycles off at 180*, doesn't blow the fuse. I let it cycle 4 times. Now that feels very hot. I used a candy thermometer up in the airflow. Don't know how accurate that is. I need to determine a way to set it accurate.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: