Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sitting for a year :-)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Sitting for a year :-) Reply with quote

My 83 1/2 with a 2.1L of unknown miles (it was pulled by Small Car as part of a Subaru swap) has been sitting for a year and my wife wanted it moved so I threw a battery in it and fired it up. It only hit on one cylinder at first but within 10 seconds was hitting on all four and purring. Zero lifter noise, you would have though I had run the engine just a few minutes before instead of having last run it a year ago.

I know that this is a controversial subject, but this engine has 5w40 oil in it and the lifters just love it. Experience has shown that Vanagon lifters leak down less on thinner oil and if they do leak down they pump up faster.

Let the flaming begin. Twisted Evil Shocked Twisted Evil
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitting for a year :-) Reply with quote

thin is in
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitting for a year :-) Reply with quote

The lifters in my 83 Air-cool 2.0 got pretty bad to bleed off as age and miles began to pile up. I bought it in 85 with 48k miles on the clock.

So, what I thought to be logical was to use heavier oil as the miles increased. Seems I was using 20w-50 in the summer months and 10w-40 the balance of the year...

Seems none of that changed the rattling at start-up!

So, should I have been using a thinner oil all along?

It's been moth-balled since 2005 with over 220k miles on the odie!

I had no issues with rattle in the 1.9 in the 84 (now a TDI).

I do get a slight rattle with the 89 at start-up (10w-30). It has 148k miles on the clock... (10w-40, I think)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitting for a year :-) Reply with quote

i have found that the brand of oil filter used can have a big influence on lifter noise for the first several minutes after start up. you want a filter with same rating as stock one. some Fram filters have cause lifter noise, a switch to Mann filter solved that problem, even with the recommended thicker oil

on my van, it has sat at times for extended periods using the recommended 20w50 oil and has not had start up problems, no lifter noise. also my van has not have difficutly on start up by firing on only one cylinder. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing i am saddened to learn that some folks have firing issues. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitting for a year :-) Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
The lifters in my 83 Air-cool 2.0 got pretty bad to bleed off as age and miles began to pile up. I bought it in 85 with 48k miles on the clock.

So, what I thought to be logical was to use heavier oil as the miles increased. Seems I was using 20w-50 in the summer months and 10w-40 the balance of the year...

Seems none of that changed the rattling at start-up!

So, should I have been using a thinner oil all along?

It's been moth-balled since 2005 with over 220k miles on the odie!

I had no issues with rattle in the 1.9 in the 84 (now a TDI).

I do get a slight rattle with the 89 at start-up (10w-30). It has 148k miles on the clock... (10w-40, I think)

Having the oil nice and hot before shutting the engine down seems to help. Starting a cold engine and then only letting it run for a few minutes seems to be a recipe for having noise lifters the next time the engine is started. Don't know why, just is.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sitting for a year :-) Reply with quote

Remember this stuff?

I actually used it in the 2.0 Air-cool engine for probably close to a year (two or three changes, maybe more).
Seems that was the oil in the engine when we drove it to Alaska in 1986.

Wow!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sitting for a year :-) Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
thin is in

thick is the pick.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: