Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flywheel and Pressure Plate Options for my 36hp Okrasa Engine
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
olivetree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Flywheel and Pressure Plate Options for my 36hp Okrasa Engine Reply with quote

I have made the decision to go with the WW 69.5mm crank for my 1400cc 36hp Okrasa build which I hope will produce 50-55hp.

The next step is to have the crank assembly dynamically balanced so I now have to also choose a flywheel and pressure plate. I plan to stay 6 volts so I was going to stick with a 6-volt 180mm 36hp flywheel which I was going to have 8 dowelled and mated with a new stock BUS 36hp Pressure Plate and clutch from WW.

So my question to those that have been down the Okrasa build road before is this:

Is the the stock 180mm flywheel the way to go or are there other flywheel/Pressure Plate options out there I should consider that would work better for a 50-55 hp okrasa motor?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel and Pressure Plate Options for my 36hp Okrasa Engine Reply with quote

I have 21k on mine with a stock 180 mm clutch no problems.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel and Pressure Plate Options for my 36hp Okrasa Engine Reply with quote

you will be fine with the hd bus plate. remember 1300,s and early 1500,s had 180 flywheels. Wink
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel and Pressure Plate Options for my 36hp Okrasa Engine Reply with quote

I 8 dowled the stock flywheel on my build and have around 20K on it.
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel and Pressure Plate Options for my 36hp Okrasa Engine Reply with quote

olivetree wrote:
I have made the decision to go with the WW 69.5mm crank for my 1400cc 36hp Okrasa build which I hope will produce 50-55hp.

The next step is to have the crank assembly dynamically balanced so I now have to also choose a flywheel and pressure plate. I plan to stay 6 volts so I was going to stick with a 6-volt 180mm 36hp flywheel which I was going to have 8 dowelled and mated with a new stock BUS 36hp Pressure Plate and clutch from WW.

So my question to those that have been down the Okrasa build road before is this:

Is the the stock 180mm flywheel the way to go or are there other flywheel/Pressure Plate options out there I should consider that would work better for a 50-55 hp okrasa motor?

Are you using bigger jugs? 69.5 I think only gets you around 1300ccs..

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
olivetree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel and Pressure Plate Options for my 36hp Okrasa Engine Reply with quote

Yes, I'm using the new 80mm P&Cs from AA Piston.
Braukuche wrote:
olivetree wrote:

Are you using bigger jugs? 69.5 I think only gets you around 1300ccs..
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel and Pressure Plate Options for my 36hp Okrasa Engine Reply with quote

Hi,

not sure if the book was published in other countries than in Germany, but in the book called " Jetzt mache ich ihn schneller", "Now I'm going to make him faster", they always mention to use a stronger Porsche accessory clutch. So I was a bit worried if my 36hp Okrasa engine needs another clutch too.
I'm using a stock crankshaft so there shouldn't be anonther clutch required, depending on what you guys write Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel and Pressure Plate Options for my 36hp Okrasa Engine Reply with quote

56samba wrote:
Hi,

not sure if the book was published in other countries than in Germany, but in the book called " Jetzt mache ich ihn schneller", "Now I'm going to make him faster", they always mention to use a stronger Porsche accessory clutch. So I was a bit worried if my 36hp Okrasa engine needs another clutch too.
I'm using a stock crankshaft so there shouldn't be anonther clutch required, depending on what you guys write Very Happy Very Happy

In my opinion, this stuff was written before the days of the 1300 and 1500 6v 180mm clutches that are standard now. yes it was common in 36hp updating, but a 1965 1500 dual carb 6v car made pretty impressive HP (66sae vs 36sae) so you should be fine with a later "heavy duty" 180mm clutch (for all I know, thats what the porsche part was...)

I would use a spring disc as well
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel and Pressure Plate Options for my 36hp Okrasa Engine Reply with quote

i think the hd bus plate is rated 1550lbs? kennedy used to make a 1700 lb 180 years ago. you will be fine. like the other guy said a 1500s type 3 had 66hp. i doubt you will be making more than that.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel and Pressure Plate Options for my 36hp Okrasa Engine Reply with quote

Just love old VW performance literature...
Good recommendation: cheap option to give your VW more is to visit the local junkyard, keep eyes open for an old Porsche. Take a Porsche Pre A 2-piece engine and install in your bug. Et voilą Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: