Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

I have read good things about the Lucas assembly lube and used it today when building my crankshaft. Plastigage and rod clearances are within spec. No tight spots when rotating the rods, but they do not swing freely. This stuff seams really thick. I pulled a cap and removed some of the Lucas and added 30 wt. much better. I them wiped off all the Lucas and coated with 30 wt. and now the rods swing like butter.
I believe the Lucas assembly lube would protect the bearings, but am concerned it may be too think to let the oil in. Thoughts?

Maybe this product would be best for the oil pump.

Thanks,
David
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

I assume it is a thick goop? This is good for if the engine may not get started for a long time. It will protect all the surfaces and not dry or runoff. Way better than grease!

If the engine will NOT be sitting for a long time, or will be pressure lubed before starting, I prefer to use 90wt gear oil for this, and a lot of things, valve guides, pin bushings, ect. but keep it off the cylinders. The gear oil has slightly more EP additive and less detergent so it slightly more suited than engine oil, but engine oil will work fine too, 30 or 40 wt tends to stay put better. 90wt gear oil is actually not any thicker, they just rate gear oil at a lower temp.
While I may be conflicting my own advice here, I've lubed stuff with gear oil and even a year later it hasn't gone anywhere......seems to work great. i should just put some red dye in there, a bit of wintergreen oil, and re-label it as super assembly lube and make a killing Laughing
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

Thanks Glen, yep pretty thick stuff. The motor will not sit for an extended period, just going slow on my first VW build. I will pick up some 90wt and proceed.

David
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

I've used the Redline assembly lube and also white lithium grease in the past. Neither is very thick and will "wash away" with the oil. Both work well to prime the oil pump too.
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

I like the Lucas products and have used them in my Harley. Probably will be ok, just making sure. Thanks
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
I've used the Redline assembly lube and also white lithium grease in the past. Neither is very thick and will "wash away" with the oil. Both work well to prime the oil pump too.

Thanks, I have used Redline also.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

I Use Sta-Lube.... Brand probably does not really matter as long as you spin up motor and insure you have oil pressure and have whetted all bearing surfaces before you put the fire to it...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

We used to use gun Greace when I was a kid. I've used motor oil, stp, white Greace , moly with graphite, Ect. Hell I used to put Vaseline in the oil pump to prime it, why? Who knows, I hope I read that somewhere intelligent. I prefer redline moly but I have to order it and that sucks.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the responses. Finishing up the crank in the am.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

SamT wrote:
We used to use gun Greace when I was a kid. I've used motor oil, stp, white Greace , moly with graphite, Ect. Hell I used to put Vaseline in the oil pump to prime it, why? Who knows, I hope I read that somewhere intelligent. I prefer redline moly but I have to order it and that sucks.

R U related to Marc Tucker?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
I Use Sta-Lube.... Brand probably does not really matter as long as you spin up motor and insure you have oil pressure and have whetted all bearing surfaces before you put the fire to it...
Dale

I used Sta-Lube with my B2200 truck engine in late 2011; so I'll use the same container with my 1600cc engine assembly within a few weeks.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

Have used it here and there too noticed the same thing.But no issues on start up either.I prefer to use oil in some places and lucas in others.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

Going with middle of the road for assembly lube. Autozone has Valvoline VR1 50-weight on sale for $2.00.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

Lucas assembly lube is fine. I have used it in numerous instances. Assembly lube is supposed to be thick...dont worry about it. Once the engine builds oil pressure and oil makes its way to the bearings, the assembly lube will wash away. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Lucas assembly lube is fine. I have used it in numerous instances. Assembly lube is supposed to be thick...dont worry about it. Once the engine builds oil pressure and oil makes its way to the bearings, the assembly lube will wash away. Wink

I have a tendency to over think things. Shocked

Thanks
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

Maxdog2 wrote:
I have a tendency to over think things.

what fun would life be if there wasn't time for over thinking things?

i like the lucas ass'y lube because it's really sticky.
so i use a mix of lucas, motor oil & gear oil Laughing
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
Maxdog2 wrote:
I have a tendency to over think things.

what fun would life be if there wasn't time for over thinking things?

i like the lucas ass'y lube because it's really sticky.
so i use a mix of lucas, motor oil & gear oil Laughing

On of my friends nicknamed me "Tweeker" because I'm always trying to dial something in to make it better. Thanks for your response.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

I used a small can of generic sewing machine oil because it had a convenient nozzle..
Seemed a bit thicker than engine oil and stickier. But then I had it running only a couple of days after throwing it together.

The simplicity of an engine that is only needed to run at 4500 rpm or less..

17000 miles and 18 months later the engine is still running well..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
I used a small can of generic sewing machine oil because it had a convenient nozzle..
Seemed a bit thicker than engine oil and stickier. But then I had it running only a couple of days after throwing it together.

The simplicity of an engine that is only needed to run at 4500 rpm or less..

17000 miles and 18 months later the engine is still running well..

Simple build here. 1835 with a W100 cam and PICT 34 Super Stock carb from Aircooled.net. Stock size valve heads.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Lucas assembly lube and rod bearings Reply with quote

What's really nice about the Lucas assembly lube, is that it pretty much stays where you put it. Everything that I build is second to my real job, so sometimes there are weeks where I'll leave an engine sit half done. With the Lucas, there may be a few drips under a short block if left for weeks. When I was using redline, or before that, moly based sta-lube, I had to leave a drip pan under the case because of how much would run out. It never really instilled much confidence when firing a motor that had sat for months while the tin and carbs got sorted, how much protection was left there for the bearings when it was started?

Lately, I've been using the Torco MPZ. Webcam sent me a decent size tube with my last cam and I liked it, so I ordered more. It seems a bit thicker than the Lucas and really stays put.
SD
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: