Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spring Washer on Fan
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Spring Washer on Fan Reply with quote

Gents, I have a dilemma and I couldn't get a definitive answer so here it goes.

The washer that goes on the fan is labeled as a "spring washer". This is between the fan and the nut that holds the fan onto the generator/alternator shaft.

It is curved slightly to what I originally thought to match the curvature of the fan. Then the name of this nut is called "spring". So I thought maybe this goes with the concave opposite the fan so that when it tightens that it presses against the nut sort of like lock washer?

So which way washer to match the fan or opposite?

Mighty obliged.....
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Washer on Fan Reply with quote

Opposite, you want it to put a little pressure on the nut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Washer on Fan Reply with quote

Yeah, It's almost impossible to get them to tighten right the other way they go opposite. Only need 39 ft lbs.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Washer on Fan Reply with quote

The spring washers don't offer much resistance to a fastener coming loose. What they are is a fairly high quality steel with offers a smooth slick surface for the fastener to slide against guarantying consistent torque. I usually will place them concave side down, but I don't think it makes much difference, as it is the torque on the fastener which ultimately keeps it from loosening and not the washer.
Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Washer on Fan Reply with quote

Thanks gents. I have elected to go opposite. Even though some literature that I. Saw from some diagram should the other way.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Washer on Fan Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Washer on Fan Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:

Interesting, too bad they didn't give the part number of the washer. Is a "dished" washer the same as a "spring" washer? or is it something different? The VW fiche for a Transporter shows a standard style spring washer with a Beetle part number of 111 119 135 and shows it being installed in the opposite direction.

Did later Transporters with Type 1 engines use the same 111 119 135 spring washer or is the dished washer shown in the service bulletin a different part?

For myself, my 1973 Thing uses the 111 119 135 washer.

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Washer on Fan Reply with quote

They all use the same washer. Although the VW parts lists refer to it as a "spring washer", it is unlike the usual spring washers
in being asymmetric, i.e., there is a front and a back side, and therefore it matters which way it's installed. The W.B page above
calls it a "dished" washer, but it really is not that either. I really don't think the parts diagram above can be said to show it being installed
one way or another.

The Type I Bentley service manual also warns that the washer (called a "lock washer" there) must be installed as shown above.

citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Washer on Fan Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
this might confuse you this is for a VW Bus that takes a different fan and it is hooked to a alt. this is not for a bug type engine this picture is a flat engine. this is what yours looks like
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Washer on Fan Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Yeah, It's almost impossible to get them to tighten right the other way they go opposite. Only need 39 ft lbs.

I remembered it as 50 ft. lbs but I looked it up and it looks like 40-47:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Washer on Fan Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
this might confuse you this is for a VW Bus that takes a different fan and it is hooked to a alt. this is not for a bug type engine this picture is a flat engine.

No. The page I posted refers to a standard Type I 1600 upright engine, which many busses in the world had up to the late '70's. The same diagram (and warning), less
the big black arrows, is in the Type I 70-79 Bentley manual.

Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Washer on Fan Reply with quote

Oh my goodness. I don't know why my nut loosens itself on the fan. I think I put enough muscle into it that nothing would be able to budge. (albeit, I didn't use a torque wrench). Has anybody had the same issues and how were they corrected? Threadblocker?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Washer on Fan Reply with quote

Bohdan wrote:
Oh my goodness. I don't know why my nut loosens itself on the fan. I think I put enough muscle into it that nothing would be able to budge. (albeit, I didn't use a torque wrench). Has anybody had the same issues and how were they corrected? Threadblocker?

Is the washer in good shape? Sometimes they crack from age and wear.

40-47 pounds is sort of hard to do in place in the car as you have to hold the other side too. It's pretty easy if the generator and fan are in a vice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: