Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stub Axle Problem
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfywho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Thanks Fun181.

Fun 181 wrote:
I, for one, will never question your patriotism! Wink Laughing
wolfywho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I started on the disassembly of the other side (rear passenger side). The outer bearing and outer spacer looked pretty good actually. The inner spacer between the two bearings looks good too. BUT, I can't get the darn stub axle out of there now. LOL! If it's not one thing, it's another. =) Very Happy It seems the inner bearing is stuck on the stub axle. I've given it some good whacks with my 3lb sledge and a piece of wood. No luck. Don't want to smack it too hard and break something. I'm drenching it in WD40 at the moment, and then I think I'm going to add some heat to it later and try to tap/hit it out again. I'm hoping the heat will loosen it up in there too. Have you guys ever ran into this problem?

Scott
wolfywho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the passenger side rear axle stub out tonight. I didn't feel too comfortable heating the axle up with a torch (because of the axle grease in there and i sprayed WD40 in there earlier), so I just took a long brass shift and gave the inner race of the inner bearing a few good whacks. Then started tapping the end of the axle stub with my 3lb sledge and 2x4. Didn't hit it too hard, but firm. I just had to be patient and it started slowing moving. Not sure if the WD40 soaking helped or not, but you never know.

So... Anyway... Sweet!! I just have to wait for my new axle spacers to arrive (should be tomorrow), and it's time to start re-assembly of both sides. =)

Btw, everything in this hub assembly looked waaay better than the other side. I probably didn't need to pull it all apart, but with the way the other side looked I just had to know. I feel better knowing that I'll now know exactly what's in there.

Edit: Btw, there wasn't a large o-ring on this side either. Weird. I'll definitely be putting it in during reassembly though.

Scott
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Scr...ange_high= Has anybody used these?
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed the Chromoly spacer kit-they went in no problems.
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I need to replace or at least repack my rear bearing, my car is growling ant my on the road , doubt it's ever been done! Seems pretty straight forward. Lots of good info here, thanks everyone
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FV195 wrote:
Think I need to replace or at least repack my rear bearing, my car is growling ant my on the road , doubt it's ever been done! Seems pretty straight forward. Lots of good info here, thanks everyone

I just did mine Saturday. Pretty easy job.

The hardest part is breaking the castle nut loose to remove the break drum. Make sure you've got a long pipe to lever it off.

For the price, replace both the inner and outer bearings and both seals. Have lots of solvent and rags on hand to clean everything. Wear crappy clothes.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my drums off to do rear brakes, snap on air impact gets them off easy. have a parts washer to clean them up, have a few rear axle seal kits, so looks like I know what I'm doing tonight
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the outer bearing and spacer out, do not see the snap ring? Cleaned most of the grease out. Does the inner bearing come out the wheel side or to the inside? Calling it a night, got all new bearings, they were in expencive so why not replace after all this work
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FV195 wrote:
Got the outer bearing and spacer out, do not see the snap ring? Cleaned most of the grease out. Does the inner bearing come out the wheel side or to the inside? Calling it a night, got all new bearings, they were in expencive so why not replace after all this work

Snap ring holds inner bearing in place. Once it's out take a drift and drive the inner bearing towards the transmission. Make sure you remember which way the spacers came out.

After the bearings and spacers are out clean the housing thoroughly.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg finally got it apart. The inner seal was so hard to get out, but I finally got it. Reassembly soon
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All back together! Put a few miles on her tonight, went back together real easy. Parts washer got a workout, even changed the fluid, was due anyway. Thanks everyone for the advise
Thor
Orange 74 "Gretchen"
Talie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Stub Axle Problem Reply with quote

hi all,

This is an old post been pulled up sorry, but I'm doing the same works currently on my 76 bus.
My question is in regards to the stub axle. Mine has a bit more pitting than the one on page 2 of this thread. Is sanding this over slightly with 600 grit ok to do? Would it be better to use locktite afterwards if I sand also?

Just after peoples thoughts on this please, as it's something I overlooked and dont have in my box of new goodies Smile
Thanks in advance
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Stub Axle Problem Reply with quote

Real Quick guys:
I have a Bus with an early Bug IRS.WHAT IS THE TORQUE SETTINGS ON THE 6 STAR BOLTS on the half shafts to the stub shaft??

Thank You
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: