Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Laser / Tool Welder
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

Laser / Tool Welder;

Anyone know of a Laser / Tool Welder
in the Portland / Seattle area?

A Vanagon enthusiast would be Great !

I need some specialized welding on my bus ... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

What kind of work do you need done?

I'm worried that maybe you are going to weld a puppy or laser on shark.

I have a buddy that did a lot of the rust repair on my vanagon. Look at my build thread if you need that kind of help and send me a PM with your digits and I'll be happy to ask if he is interested in the work.

Typically he charges cash only and in the neighborhood of $50/hour. He's very good. His shop/lift is in Oregon City area of Portland.
Thanks
Rob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

what do you need welded? tell us as that might help generate more useful recommendations. lasers are not often used for car repair. a tool welder? you need a tool welded? more detail please.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
What kind of work do you need done?
Thanks
Rob

>>>what do you need welded? tell us as that might help generate more useful recommendations. lasers are not often used for car repair. a tool welder? you need a tool welded? more detail please.

Thanks for your replies Rob & Bluebus86!

Heat is the major problem.
I'm welding a fitting on my power steering hose:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I need to protect the rubber.

I will apply heat sinks and I'm even thinking of submerging it
in a bucket of water close to the welding area ?

But it has to be a nice tight little weld! ( 1/16"
So sufficient penetration yet, as little heat as possible.
And it's also a high pressure hose.

There is a couple of specialized welding companies in PDX:
http://clackamastoolwelding.com/
But I haven't heard back from them yet.

>>>I'm worried that maybe you are going to weld a puppy or laser on shark.
You Are from Portland Aren't you !!! heh...heh... Wink
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity...
Why are you going to all this trouble instead of just getting a new hose made?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

What about using silver solder instead of welding.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

Oil and filter service company or pacific rubber company can whip out custom hoses and fittings while you wait. I have had AC and oil hoses made by both. I'd bet that hose with all the crazy fittings would cost 60 bucks.

TIG Welding a high pressure thin wall fitting with rubber hose is going to be problematic and expensive.
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

82WestyMan wrote:
Just out of curiosity...

And, thank you for asking Wink

Just Playing ... Laughing

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

Any shop with a TIG machine can handle that. I have done a few myself, I have a box of 1/16" stainless tig wire that I just can't seem to get rid of, but fits the bill. In this case you probably don't even need filler, just wash the two together.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

a hydroulic hose rair place might be able to do it, or send you in the correct direction. try tractor , construction equipement or big rig repair places.

of course your idea of a bath of water is good, the main thing is a nice extremely hot flame or arc to get a small localized area hot quickly to avoid heat travel to the rubber.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

Water bath would do it but absolutely unnecessary. A wet towel around it will tell you all you need to know about heat travelling up the fitting to the rubber. No steam at the rubber end = no significant heat. Very easy to deal with it because you don't need all that much heat to do that weld. If it steams, then squeeze the towel a little, steam quits, you'll figure it out.

Silversolder would be an excellent way if you can get some overlap in the joint. If it's just a butt-to-butt then probably want to braze or TIG if you can find the guy who can do it. Driving around the countryside looking for welders can take awhile. Calling hose makers and verifying they don't know what fittings you don't know the words to describe is another time-consuming task.

Plumbing, while so easy in concept can take a lot of time. If you were in Seattle I'd TIG it.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Water bath would do it but absolutely unnecessary. A wet towel around it will tell you all you need to know about heat travelling up the fitting to the rubber. No steam at the rubber end = no significant heat. Very easy to deal with it because you don't need all that much heat to do that weld. If it steams, then squeeze the towel a little, steam quits, you'll figure it out.

Silversolder would be an excellent way if you can get some overlap in the joint. If it's just a butt-to-butt then probably want to braze or TIG if you can find the guy who can do it. Driving around the countryside looking for welders can take awhile. Calling hose makers and verifying they don't know what fittings you don't know the words to describe is another time-consuming task.

Plumbing, while so easy in concept can take a lot of time. If you were in Seattle I'd TIG it.

I never did hear back from the Aerospace welding place
So,,, I probably will try to tig it myself.

Also, I'm thinking I'll pick up a CK Micro tig torch.
I've been wanting one for a while
and it seems like I'm running into a lot of smaller jobs lately.

& thanks for all of the tips from you all !
I like the towel idea!

I thought of silver solder but was afraid I might have to send
too much heat into everything (everywhere) to get it to flow?

And, tig, you can kind of start & stitch
to control the heat,
As long as the weld is congruent ?
And holds pressure Surprised

The 1/16" was about the width of the bead I'd like to aim for.
And I will probably just use a length of Mig wire for the filler. (.0325

Thank You Everyone, for your help !
I'll post some pictures when I'm done ...
( If the weld looks decent that is ! Wink Embarassed

Happy Holidays !!!
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

82WestyMan wrote:
Just out of curiosity...

Well, I'm thinking the OEM approach might
get rid of that last little bit of whine
a lot of systems have.
And, that I had with my Stainless steel conversion hose.

Also, I moved the High Pressure hose to the Drivers side
So the hose, now OEM, rubber and with the restricter and the internal silencer
will be used as (Short ) and Stock. Smile
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

The hose runs the complete length of the crimping collar ferrule.

To keep that cool enough to not jeopardize the rubber on the hose will be difficult.
Usually, and most of the time a speciality fitting is constructed, then assembled onto the hose.

Brass rod, silver solder both have the same amount of tensile strength, anywhere from 40,000 to 70,000 psi per square inch.
No difference.

The Tig weld would be the best, as long as you're getting good penetration down into the accessory fitting.

All 3 ways will develope plenty of heat in that hose, and I would suggest having a fitting manufactured away from the rubber, and then assembled.

It's a high pressure hose, you wouldn't want to find out later you messed up the hose when you welded or brazed the fitting.
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
The hose runs the complete length of the crimping collar ferrule.

To keep that cool enough to not jeopardize the rubber on the hose will be difficult.
Usually, and most of the time a speciality fitting is constructed, then assembled onto the hose.

Brass rod, silver solder both have the same amount of tensile strength, anywhere from 40,000 to 70,000 psi per square inch.
No difference.

The Tig weld would be the best, as long as you're getting good penetration down into the accessory fitting.

All 3 ways will develope plenty of heat in that hose, and I would suggest having a fitting manufactured away from the rubber, and then assembled.

It's a high pressure hose, you wouldn't want to find out later you messed up the hose when you welded or brazed the fitting.

Thanks Terry !

I Agree with Every one of your points on this !
And I realize I am putting the cart before the horse on this assembly !

So, I think Tig will be the best way to control the heat.
(and Micro Tig torch to boot Smile
(another reason why I tried to chase down an aerospace welder)
( some things are best left to the experts; just ask the rooster I tried to turn into a Capon when I was young & dumb ;o)

Silver solder while strong enough,
( I've used in on bike clutch cables before with very good long term results )
Will require complete heat through out the fitting.

So, here's where I'm headed;
CK-MR70 Air-Cooled Micro TIG

Also, I did try a bucket welding setup
using four vise-grips around the hose collar.
both as a heat sink and to support the hose / fitting
for welding in a bucket of water.
The water up to the top of the collar holding the hose to the fitting/ tube.

Thanks for your expert and appreciated input !

John C...
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

My power steering hose was brazed in 2009 by SmallCar and it's still fine (AFAIK). Brazing will heat the fittings for a long time. Silversolder is lower heat, thus faster. If you can get a tight, overlap joint, regular solder could do it.

====== NOTE =======

if that's 3/8" pipe, and hydraulic pressure is 1500-2000 psi, then whatever weld you do, needs to hold about 165-220 lbs in tension. Can you hang your body weight on your weld?

It's not hard to weld/braze/solder a pipe to hold 1500-2000psi hydraulic pressure.

=================

Silversolder and Brass are 40-70,000 ksi.... ???? Terry that sounds ambitious for brass. I don't think I'll commit that to memory just yet. Steel ER70S MIG wire is 70,000ksi. 7018 rod is 70,000 ksi. 6011 is 60,000 ksi. This is steel.

TIG would be the fastest of course, thus minimum heat to the rubber. If you have a TIG.... get ahold of some other junk hoses with crimped ends and test your methods & skill level before doing it on the real thing.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

You don't NEED to buy a micro tig torch for this job.. if you want one, that is a different story. Put a fine point on your tungsten and I'd start with 50-60 amps. Do you use a foot pedal or a thumb wheel for control?
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
You don't NEED to buy a micro tig torch for this job.. if you want one, that is a different story. Put a fine point on your tungsten and I'd start with 50-60 amps. Do you use a foot pedal or a thumb wheel for control?

Well, over the holidays,
I did just receive the CK Worldwide 70 Amp Micro Tig Torch. (MR712SF)
I do mostly small jobs and have wanted one Smile
We'll see if it's worth it, $$ dollar wise, in the long haul.

I still need to get it adapted/ hooked up to my Lincoln Precision 225.

I want control of the weld.
( & I need all of the advantage's I can get
as I'm not a certified welder by any means ! Rolling Eyes

I have seen beer cans welded together with a regular sized torch
but wasn't that impressed with the weld !?
It was easily a quarter inch wide.

And, I have seen razor blades butt welded together
with the prettiest Tig Weld you'd ever want to see !!!
( maybe 1/32nd" wide )

I would like to end up with a 1/16" wide bead.

Also, solder, where it probably is strong enough for what is needed,
has very little penetration, or heat control for the rubber hose.

Yes, I do use a foot control,
But, ( for my abilities )my welding equipment is still
oversized for what I want to end up with.

& my electrode is 3/32nd's (I will get a 1/16th" collet).

With the CK Micro Tig Torch I can drop down as far as a .020 tungsten electrode.
I will probably use a .040 electrode.
Amperage? Maybe around 30 Amps with this torch?

This should give me the penetration,
And the heat control I need.

Anyway, Cost wise, 100 + bucks for a Vendors ss metal conversion hose
that really doesn't do the job 100% ?
I feel I wasted my money on this type of hose.

I'll be into the OE Hose with Micro Torch & fittings 250 &&&
I get welding practice, welding education &
I end up with a specialty Tig Torch on my shelf, in the end Very Happy

Now,,, will my best friend "Eugene" (the Oregon Vanagon )
quit complaining around every turn of the wheel ??? Wink
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

EC I just learned to TIG about a year ago, no instruction. Just watched some vids (Youtube "welding tips & tricks").

I TIG'd these fittings (temperature wells for transmission oil temp control system) with a 3/32" tungsten sharp point. This is a SS tube welded to a mild steel fitting. I cut the end, pounded points together then welded the gaps to make a globe end, obviously overkill but just for sport of it. Cool

I use a foot pedal. No filler because it's so small I can barely hold the torch that steady with both hands, not a chance one-handed with a filler rod in the other hand. Just do a lap joint where the fill comes from the joined parts.

Your power steering fittings are probably about this size (that SS tube is 3/8" OD). As I wrote earlier 2000psi is appx 200 lbs pulling on this weld, it's not so much. If theres any overlap, even 1/16", solder will hold it. TIG steel is many times stronger. Just make up some practice fittings of similar size/shape and when you prove to yourself you can do it then weld the real thing.

Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Laser / Tool Welder Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
EC I just learned to TIG about a year ago, no instruction. Just watched some vids (Youtube "welding tips & tricks").

I TIG'd these fittings (temperature wells for transmission oil temp control system) with a 3/32" tungsten sharp point. This is a SS tube welded to a mild steel fitting. I cut the end, pounded points together then welded the gaps to make a globe end, obviously overkill but just for sport of it. Cool .

Nice Bead ! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: