Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ragtop sliding block installation
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Ragtop sliding block installation Reply with quote

Group:

Bought a pair of Teflon ragtop front mechanism sliding blocks from WW:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=115875335B

The rear bolt for each is readily accessible, but the front ones are beneath the main part of the mechanism. Had replaced both ~25 years ago with home-made ones I fashioned from milk crates (they are virtually indestructable), but don't remember how I got to the front bolts. Yes, I know the kit comes with "pins" but previous owner apparently replaced with 6M bolts.

I just restored the ~25 year-old vinyl top with several applications of ArmorAll and it looks very nice. Don't want to take off of main mechanism unless I really need to. Would rather not risk tearing vinyl unless I have to remove it to access the front bolts.

Do I need to? Or is there some other way?

Best,

Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61Ragster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cat Lou,
Just received a new canvas rag from Sewfine a couple of days ago, and hope to be installing it in the next few days (read "...hopefully before Christmas") Embarassed . When I get there, I'll see if I can answer your question, unless someone beats me to it.
My existing top is vinyl and probably 25 years old also, but I don't think amourall would heal the tears and holes, so I had to bite the bullet. I remember putting that vinyl top on, and don't recall it being super difficult except trying to get the front-to-back tension just right - not too tight, not too saggy, but I've read a number of posts where people have a lot of trouble with installation. So wish me luck, and if I discover any secret techniques or shortcuts regarding the sliding blocks ill let you know.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop sliding block installation Reply with quote

catahoula lou wrote:

Don't want to take off of main mechanism unless I really need to. Would rather not risk tearing vinyl unless I have to remove it to access the front bolts. Do I need to? Or is there some other way?

Hopefully, you do not have to work around a headliner also!
The vinyl sunroof cover is glued and/or riveted to the "header bar".
The glide blocks are, from the factory, riveted to the "lower mechanism".
The "header bar" is attached to the "lower mechanism" with only two special screws that are the pivot points for the bellcrank levers that pull the "header bar" down when you turn the handle.
IF you are able to remove those two screws, the "header bar" will then be able to be removed from the "lower mechanism" and you will then have clear access to remove the rivets (or in your case, the bolts) from the glide blocks.
DO NOT remove the vinyl cover! You will still have to remove those two pivot screws to remove the "header bar"!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/5741510.jpg
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ:

Thanks, will try removing the two screws. The link of the photo to your mechanism looks just like mine. No headliner right now, likely in November when my guy gets back from vacation.

Do the two screws lie vertical or horizontal WRT the assembly when installed in the roof?

'61RAGSTER:

Luckily have no holes/tears, just had to scrub all the embedded dirt off of it (sat in side yard for a couple of years) and did 5-6 AA applications. Completing a pan-off restoration, so the savings are helpful.

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catahoula lou wrote:
57BLITZ:
Do the two screws lie vertical or horizontal WRT the assembly when installed in the roof?

They are horizontal . . .if the top were on the car and closed, you will find them right below the vinyl sunroof cover about 8" to the right and left of the crank handle. To remove them, your large, flat-blade screwdriver will be pointed straight towards the front of the car.
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57BLITZ:

Thanks for the details. So should go smoothly tomorrow. Will let you know.

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome! Thanks for thanking me! Cool

Take some photos as you go so you can share with the next guy, okay?
I might have forgotten how to do it by then! lol! Razz
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started on it yesterday. Readily found both bolts, one of which I was able to unscrew and remove, the other apparently rusted in place. Will get back onto it after a few days of applications of penetrating silicone-based lubricant.

Will include photos of procedure, including the sliders I made from a green milk crate way back in the day AND of the Mango that I'm restoring with the top on it.

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update to my successful installation of the new Wolfsburg West sliding blocks. As I previously mentioned, one of the two bolts that 57BLITZ mentioned readily unscrewed, whereas after several weeks of applying penetrating silicone lube and tapping it, I gave up on unscrewing the other one because even using the screwdriver/visegrip method, it looked like it would shear off.

However, I noticed that the each end of the front slider is held onto the main mechanism with 3 bolts that use a 10mm wrench, which hang upside-down when ragtop is installed. The following photo shows my old homemade blocks I made out of an old milk crate, next to the new one, and also the 3 bolt holes on either side of the new block:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The next 2 photos show different views of the old/new blocks - not bad for a hydrogeologist!:

The next photo shows an OG(?) block screw. It had a covering on the upper shaft that was impossible to remove, so I opened the block mounting holes with an 11/64" drill bit that I let it pull itself through the hole and then backed out without hardcore drilling, to prevent splitting the block by forcing the covering through the block holes.

The next two photos show a new block installed in place and testing of the re-assembled ragtop, without the rear attached (going to have new headliner installed). BTW, the vinyl ragtop is about 25 years old, sat in the sun for at least 15 of those years, and still looks like new (thanks, Dino!).

Tape on windshield is to remind myself not to use the opening for installation of parts anymore...

Hope this helps!

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COOL! Cool Thanks for posting the detail photos!

Your Bug is lookin' FANTASTIC! Keep up the nice work!
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I was also surprised that the homemade blocks lasted so long.

My parents had an Agave Green 57 ragtop (black on yellow CA plates) that they sold during the early 60s. CA DMV told me years ago that it had left CA for another state back in the late 70s/early 80s.

Although it'll probably turn out to be a pipe dream, I'm always on the lookout for it and my Dad's 55 Pre-A 356.

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop sliding block installation Reply with quote

Thread drudge- what is a good (correct?) size pop rivet to use to install these blocks?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop sliding block installation Reply with quote

Given that what I used appeared to be OG screws, can't tell you which pop rivets to use...

Anyone else?

Best,
Thom

Still looking for:
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ragtop sliding block installation Reply with quote

Go to VWsunroof.com, they probably have the rivets you need. Check both the bug and bus items, as some parts are interchangeable, but listed in one or the other. If you have any questions, give them a call. GREAT GUYS and they even answered all my questions. Highly recommend them. 10 on a 10 scale.

Geoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: