Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AA big bore 36 kit
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bengt H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

Has anybody used this kit?
https://aapistons.com/collections/vw-piston-liner-...g-bore-kit
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

Yes - quite a few have, which is why I bought one a coupel years ago for my 65 bug. Do the research first though. Many folks have to do some clearancing in the case or the piston itself at cylinder #3. I had to so some on mine, but it was very little.

I will tell you that the performance gain is VERY noticable.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter_Plade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

I just bought a kit a couple of weeks ago, but not planning to use it before next year or so.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Yes - quite a few have, which is why I bought one a coupel years ago for my 65 bug. Do the research first though. Many folks have to do some clearancing in the case or the piston itself at cylinder #3. I had to so some on mine, but it was very little.

I will tell you that the performance gain is VERY noticable.

You have a 36hp in a '65?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

Its a 40 horse 1200......And I just realized that the OP was referring to a 36 HP. My mistake. Sorry.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bengt H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

Peter_Plade wrote:
I just bought a kit a couple of weeks ago, but not planning to use it before next year or so.

My plan is to use this kit with an original Empi/Okrasa 69 crank and Express carbkit, heads with a litle larger inlet valve Laughing
Build will be next year or so for me to Very Happy
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

Bengt H wrote:
Peter_Plade wrote:

My plan is to use this kit with an original Empi/Okrasa 69 crank and Express carbkit, heads with a litle larger inlet valve Laughing
Build will be next year or so for me to Very Happy

Can work well. Get on it Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

I see in the ad that they claim it is designed for 69mm crank. Does that mean that the wrist pin has been moved higher in these pistons or are they assuming barrel spacers to correct the height?
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

If they are designed for a 69mm (stroker) crank then the pistons will be low in the cylinder at TDC. Cylinder spacers will make the issue worse.

I'm surprised more people haven't tried these.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

According to an email I just received from AA Johnathan it is the piston skirt they have worked on to make sure it doesn't hit the crank, not the wrist pin location for deck height.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
According to an email I just received from AA Johnathan it is the piston skirt they have worked on to make sure it doesn't hit the crank, not the wrist pin location for deck height.

Ahh, well that's cool. It will work on a stock 64mm or work on a stroker 69/69.5mm with cylinder spacers.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

I picked up an odd Okrasa set up a while back, this one had a Porsche A or B crank with the rod journals machined down to fit stock 36hp rods and the New the journals were chromed.
My machinist thinks it has a 73mm stroke and suggests I use the AA big bore pistons and cylinders. Interested in opinions on this.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

sounds like your machinest is checking the crank health, which is very smart. I would run the 80mm AA pistons without a second thought.
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I picked up an odd Okrasa set up a while back, this one had a Porsche A or B crank with the rod journals machined down to fit stock 36hp rods and the New the journals were chromed.
My machinist thinks it has a 73mm stroke and suggests I use the AA big bore pistons and cylinders. Interested in opinions on this.

Before you start putting things together, consider a few things. When you picked up your parts, were they already run
BEFORE in the configuration you found them in and they were just "reconditioned" and ready for assembly again?
I think its odd that one would turn the journals down from a 356 crankshaft to accommodate the weaker 36hp rods.
Another thing: the rod lengths are different so the deck heights would have to be "adjusted" and also: when the piston
goes down into the bore, would the piston skirt hit the opposing cheeks of the crankshaft? What about the rod working angle?
Too much will cause the already weak 36hp rod to bend/break. I know this because I have taken apart several engines that
had the 36hp journal'd 356 crankshaft with 36hp rods that were bent!

Like I said in the beginning, was this a running engine before and just taken apart to be freshened up or someone put this "kit"
together and now someone has to figure out how it will all go back together and more importantly........run and live?

I have built about a dozen engines using the AA 36hp 80mm P/C's kit already. I have built them with the stock 64mm
stroke VW crankshaft and also with the 69.5mm stroker crankshaft. I saw/had NO issues with them. I think someone needs
to make up some shims for setting up deck heights and also barrel spacers for stroker engines using the 69.5mm crankshafts.
I made up some of my own barrel spacers AFTER I calculated how much deck height I had, how much deck height I wanted to run.
I based this on the customers request to run a certain compression ratio dependent on the fuel octane rating he was going to use.
I know, a lot to remember/figure out but that is what's involved when setting up an engine CORRECTLY. See attached photos.
Enjoy Amigos! Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

The engine had run. It had miles on it. When I bought it it was basically a long block with some tin and the shround on it. I bought it from the guy who built it. He was an old dude and was a machinist bad kid in the day so he did the work himself sent the crank out to have the journal chromes, etc. No idea why he turned the rod journals down for the 36 hp rods. Maybe so he could run stock 36 horse pistons and cylinders?
Any case, its what I have to work with. I will raise these concerns with my machinist.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

To answer a couple questions posed here. Why would someone cut a 356 crank for 36hp journals? Well......if you find a nice 356 that has a badly burned rod journal (has to go .030" +), it's really a shame to pitch it in the scrap pile if the rest of the crank is okay. I did a 912 crank for one of my Bonneville cars that way. You really want to stay within the 70mm-72mm realm though on the stroke. At 72mm the rod angle starts to get out of hand due to the short 36hp rod. It runs very healthy, but I don't use anything past 70mm for a customer build due to the short rods and longevity issues. The 80mm P/C sets do set up good, they are now machine in, the slip in barrels didn't hold up. As Joe said, you will have to make your own shims for these sets.
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

What material would you like to see spacers made out of? I can likely have some made up
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

I've done brass and aluminum, copper would be nice. I had a friend with a water jet cutter do the brass, I did the aluminum out of sch 80 aluminum pipe on a lathe (stroker shims).
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

Cast Iron and steel are also choices that can be finished on a surface grinder.

Crazy Roland
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: AA big bore 36 kit Reply with quote

Update. After copious measuring, the stroke on my Crank with 36hp rod journals is 74, so based on the advice here I will not use it unless there are sturdier rods available than the stock ones. He is looking to see if he has a A or B crank around that we could use with the AA big bore pistons and cylinders using B rods. Does that sound like a good idea or would I get better longevity and reliability using a 69.5 stroker crank?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: