Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifter to cam lobe clearance-did I mess up my lifters?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Lifter to cam lobe clearance-did I mess up my lifters? Reply with quote

My clearances are very close, .038 to .040 between the cam lobe and lifters. After reading a few threads it appears I should have rented the tool from aircooled.net, but instead I sanded the top of the lifters on a flat surface with sandpaper. Did this mess up the lifter? Running an Engle W100 cam.

thanks
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter to cam lobe clearance-did I mess up my lifters? Reply with quote

If you sanded them flat for clearance, yes that's a problem, although if you used very fine sand paper to debur them, that would be ok.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter to cam lobe clearance-did I mess up my lifters? Reply with quote

It is not IMPOSSIBLE to face a lifter with crude means, but
If you don't have the tools to measure the profile and runout of the lifter, it's almost sure that you will end up with them shaped all wrong.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter to cam lobe clearance-did I mess up my lifters? Reply with quote

yes you jacked the lifters. You should either buy a new set, OR send the ones out to get them re-surfaced.

The tops of lifter heads are not flat, they are radiused.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net

Last edited by [email protected] on Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter to cam lobe clearance-did I mess up my lifters? Reply with quote

mcdragracer wrote:
If you sanded them flat for clearance, yes that's a problem, although if you used very fine sand paper to debur them, that would be ok.

Yep, messed them up. Just a read a post where CB big foot lifters work well with the Engle cam and give more clearance. Now that I need to order lifters I will give them a try. If they are also too close I will rent the tool from John at Aircooled.net. thanks
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter to cam lobe clearance-did I mess up my lifters? Reply with quote

you need to slow down. CB lifters are NOT always compatible with Engle cams. Which cam blank do you have? EP or SC? You can use CB lifters with EP cams, but not SC.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter to cam lobe clearance-did I mess up my lifters? Reply with quote

With any racing lifter or lower profile, you'll be fine in the clearance area.
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter to cam lobe clearance-did I mess up my lifters? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
you need to slow down. CB lifters are NOT always compatible with Engle cams. Which cam blank do you have? EP or SC? You can use CB lifters with EP cams, but not SC.

You are correct John, I do need to slow down. All was going well and as planned. I have the cam car and looked on the cam, but cannot determine if it is a EP or SC. How do I determine this? thanks
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter to cam lobe clearance-did I mess up my lifters? Reply with quote

Found my cheater glasses and with a flashlight I found EP12. Thanks for the posts. My first VW engine build is going well. Cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned again. Measured, measured, and again. Time to slow down and enjoy Christmas.

John, my Christmas list had multiple links to your website. Thanks again for your support!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: