Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsvp
Samba Member

Location: Annapolis, MD(but usually travelin' somewhere else)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

HI all,

I'm trying to run my fridge in my 82 diesel westy THE PHOENIX off a 2nd battery... Gowesty says it's not easy. their $.02 below...

PER GOWESTY: *80-83 Westy Owners: This kit will not power your refrigerator off the auxiliary battery, as there is no simple way to do so. This kit merely allows a 2nd battery to be installed, charged and isolated from the main battery when the ignition is off. It is up to you to wire all accessories to it.

Why is that? I assume it can be done... is there a writeup about it somewhere?

thanks,
Steve
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

I can't help with the wiring but understand that the stock 3-way fridge (propane/AC/12-volt) was never really meant to run off of the battery for very long. The 12V position was to allow it to run off of the alternator while driving and then off of a battery for a short time while you were pumping gas, running into a store, etc.

So, even if you figure out a way to connect it to your battery, the performance may not be what you expect (i.e. very short run time).
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

Stock setup taps into the alternator indicator (dummy light) to engage the relay for 12v on the fridge. Your engine's not running, the fridge isn't running on 12v either. Someone along the way could have bypassed it but it's a good safety feature to prevent accidentally running the battery down if you forget to switch the fridge over to a different power source while parked. Relay is in the compartment under the driver's seat.

Last edited by sped372 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

If you have an inverter and a decent house battery, though I've never done it I see little reason you couldn't run the fridge via an inverter. Solar would assure it, I'd suspect.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

It can be done, but it's useless in most use cases. The fridge draws 7-8 amps, continuously. A typical house battery is in the 50-60 amp-hours range. So if you run the fridge until the battery dies, you'll get about 8 hours. If you stop when your battery is around 50% (so your battery still hold a charge one year from now), you're down to 4 hours.

If it works for you, sped372 gave you what you need above: just reconfigure the trigger of the fridge relay.
[Edit: oops... This would allow the fridge to run with the engine not running, but if you only do that, it would still draw from the main battery. crazyvwvanman got you covered for the battery switch below. My bad.]

Last edited by jmranger on Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
DamonAndTheSea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

What jmranger said.

I wouldn't try to run the dometic off an aux battery unless I had 400 amp hours of storage 600 watts solar and an ACR to charge the battery bank from the engine when you find yourself below 12.2v. If you install a modern 12v fridge (TF49 or TF65 being popular options), then you'll reduce power consumption by 4x!

The dometic @ 8 amps per hour = 192 amp hours per day.
Truck Fridge TF49/TF65 @ 2 amps per hour = 48 amps per day.

200 watts of solar with a 100 amp hour battery, mated to a good programmable MPPT controller is enough to keep a modern 12v fridge + basic peripherals running happy 24/7 in sunny conditions.
rsvp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

Hey All,

thanks for your thoughts

Apparently, the early Westies did not have that relay under the drivers seat, as do the later model Westies, so I'm trying to find out how to rig this not using that under-seat relay.

As suggested, I am trying to set up a solar system, and will probably not be running the electric fridge constantly on 12 volt... But also don't want to chance running down the starting battery.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

So you have carefully verified that your van has no fridge relay under the driver seat?

It is simple enough to wire the early Westy kitchen to an aux battery. Under the driver seat is a fused wire that brings 12v power to that area from the dash. You need to unhook that wire from the dash connection power feed and connect it to the aux battery power instead.

Mark
rsvp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

Thanks Mark,

Yes, I am certain there is no relay… And I agree, it seems very reasonable to just hook that fused red wire to an auxiliary battery. I will do that. I am still in sure why Gowesty thanks that it cannot easily be done!

Regards,
Steve
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

rsvp wrote:
Apparently, the early Westies did not have that relay under the drivers seat, as do the later model Westies, so I'm trying to find out how to rig this not using that under-seat relay.

I always forget that not all vans are the same. Sorry.
Per the Bentley page 97.32b and 97.32e, it seems however that all campervans were originally fitted with the same system. The location of the relay may vary - the top of the fridge is a possible contender.

Modifications from previous owners are also always possible.

It seems that you'll have to investigate some.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

Yes, he has a fridge relay, mounted to the top of the fridge. During early 82 models it was moved to under the driver seat.

The earliest full Westy wiring is missing in many versions of the Bentley. It is labeled wrongly in most of those version as being the same as other years wiring. The latest Bentley added it back after years of leaving that diagram out, while the earliest versions of the Bentley had it.

Mark

jmranger wrote:

I always forget that not all vans are the same. Sorry.
Per the Bentley page 97.32b and 97.32e, it seems however that all campervans were originally fitted with the same system. The location of the relay may vary - the top of the fridge is a possible contender.

Modifications from previous owners are also always possible.

It seems that you'll have to investigate some.
rsvp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

I will check tomorrow, and see if I can find that relay on top of the fridge… I will also check my newest Bentley manual, to see if they actually show the proper wiring diagram.

Thanks again,

Steve
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

Absorption refrigerators are powered by heat.
When you run the Dometic on 12v you are powering a heating coil that is a poor substitute for the propane flame or the 120v heating coil. Propane is the best power source for the fridge when you are camping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rsvp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I found both the relay on top of the fridge (in a fairly inaccessible spot), as well as the diagram in my newest version of the Bentley manual, which I keep in my van.

All that said, it does look like the easiest way to run everything is to power the red fused wire under the driver seat onto the auxiliary battery. I assume that this powers everything else on the kitchen cabinet, as well as the overhead light.

Is there any reason I should follow GoWesty's auxiliary battery installation kit wiring directions when they do into there later Westies?

If not, it appears much simpler to just hook That fused red wire to the auxiliary battery, instead of taking the system apart to try and wire it to that relay.

Thanks,

Steve
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it but why do you not want to use the propane option? It is incredibly efficient.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Maybe I missed it but why do you not want to use the propane option? It is incredibly efficient.

^^^^
This.

Before a trip we get the fridge cold on 110V, then fire it up on propane before filling it with edibles. It then stays on propane the whole trip, needing a re-fill every 2-3 weeks depending on how much cooking gets done inside.
rsvp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Run my 1982 Westy fridge off aux. battery? Reply with quote

Hey Dave

There's sometimes that you need to run your fridge on 12 volts... even if it's not the most efficient way.

Up for Boyd's for MLK week?

Regards
Steve
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: