Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't put any rear fenders back on that thing, the rear picture without them is the money shot!

I know, A few friends that have seen the car say the same thing. I am a big fan of fat fenders, but I may make plans to start with them on and then take them off it I do not like it as well. I have the "snowflake" lenses, housings, gaskets and hardware already and really think that is a nice feature for these cars. That is another reason I was leaning on keeping them. Another thing would be I am a fan of doing things to cars that's different that what you typically see. I guess as more of the car is put together will help with my decision.
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

I have an update from my friend at Crum Custom Fabrication on the progress for narrowing the Ford 9 inch. I asked him to take a few pictures as he goes thru the process. So here they are.

This is how it looked when I dropped it off.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cutting the axle tube.

Cut to length without the bearing housings in place.

Putting the rear brace in place.

Welded in place.

The jig for the carrier to make sure the axle tubes and bearing housings are all straight.

Ready to weld on the bearing housing end.

How it looks now.

The next step is for him to pick up the chassis and put the rear end housing in place and weld on the tabs for the upper arms and the pieces for the coil overs and lower arms. I am very happy with it so far. I did not trust my skills to do this job. Jim is a far better welder than me. Lol
The plan is to pick up the chassis this Saturday. I should be ready to order my Strange axles now. I have the front and rear Wilwood brakes and need to make this thing a roller. Hopefully the timing between me getting the axles and getting the chassis back will be about the same time. In the mean time I am doing some of the body work.
I will keep the post and pics coming! Very Happy
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Can't wait to see posts on this build. Love the old gasser look with a Bug shell !
Slow & Steady is the key
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

rmh60bug wrote:

Quote:
Can't wait to see posts on this build. Love the old gasser look with a Bug shell !

Thanks I really appreciate the comment! Actually there is a pretty funny story behind this build. When I was a young kid and just beginning to get into the car scene in the late 60's and early 70's the gassers were in their hay day. I always loved them the most because they were completely different than all the other cars. I thought back then the most popular body type was a VW beetle. I did not realize until several years latter that they were Fiat Topilinos! Embarassed I just knew I always wanted one. So I guess now I am building what I thought I was seeing way back then. Lol
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

The next YouTube Video is ready.

Link
[/youtube]
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Well I decided since I have a good idea of the side profile of the car and the chassis is with Crum Custom Fabrication finishing up the rear end housing, I will begin work on increasing the radius of the rear window. I would like to thank ach60 for the advice.
So I looked things over and decided a 6 inch radius was not to big, yet not to small. So here is where I started.

Making both sides at the same time so they are identical.

Getting ready to weld.

Making the inside pieces.

After welding.

Inside and outside welded.

First coat of body filler.

Skim coat of filler.

First coat of primer.

It still is not perfect or finished. I will be coming back to it when I focus on all the body at the same time. At least now I can get a good idea what it will be like when it is finished. That was what I was after.
I will keep working and keep posting. Very Happy
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Well I got the chassis back with the rear end housing finished being narrowed and everything mounted up. Here are a few pics.

I have started to primer and paint the housing. I will be doing the same to the whole chassis. Also will be installing front brakes and ordering rear axles soon to make it a roller. Then I will have an even better idea of how it will look when it is finished. Very Happy
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Well like everyone else, I have been really busy with the holidays. I have had time to do a little work. I plan on working a full day today on the car. Hopefully by the end of the day it will be a rolling chassis. I do have a new video, Part 6.

Link

Last edited by Machine Dr. on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Great looking rod, amazing design and craftsmanship.
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

andygere wrote:

Quote:
Great looking rod, amazing design and craftsmanship.

Thank you I do appreciate the kind words!

I was able to get quite a bit of work done on the car. It is finally a roller!
That makes me feel like I am making progress.

Here are a few pictures.

I hope to have another video soon. Still trying to get the stance right and the motor/trans in the right position. I will keep at it and keep posting.
Thanks!
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

The next video is up. It is Part 7.

Link

I will keep working! Thanks Cool
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Well, I have been working on laying out the ride height and how to support the body and floor. I have ran into a little bit of a challenge. The heater channel portion is below the frame rails. I need to come up with a way to make this all work. I studied the original design VW used for supporting the weight of the shell. It looks to me like the front section of the pan (what I call the firewall) forms something like a load bearing wall of a building. This is what holds the weight of the front of the shell and distributes the weight to the pan. It also allows the 2 sections to be taken apart. I plan on duplicating this type of setup after I figure out more of the details to support the floor.
Also, I have another challenge (which can be seen in the pic). For the Motor to have enough clearance between the Radiator/Cooling Fan, I need roughly 8 inches to the front of the Motor Block. This is to have enough room for the blower belt, alternator, etc. This moves the bell housing of the Transmission past the firewall and the rear exhaust ports on the cylinder heads past the hinges on the door. That means that zoomie headers will not work and the motor would be in my lap. I do not want that. ('Brick wall') So after thinking it over I think the best option is to extend the frame rails 7 inches. This will solve the problems I already mentioned. However it creates a new problem. I will have to extend the front of the shell about 5 inches to get the firewall area where I like it. I found a place that I can make a straight line cut from just before the front of the door, up and across the cowl, and then down the other door. Then make a filler piece to tie it all back together. Here is a picture to give you and idea of what I have in mind to support the floor.

The frame has not been extended yet. I want to work things out before I cut it. Some of this may change a little, but for the most part will probably be very similar. I know I will need to add more support for the mid section of the floor.
Sorry for all the words and not many pictures. It's just I am at that kind of time for the project. We have all been there!
I will keep working and keep posting. Cheers!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Plumb the radiator to the rear & free up all the space up front.

Or find a '71/'72 super beetle front clip. The supers had a longer nose.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Quote:
Plumb the radiator to the rear & free up all the space up front.

Or find a '71/'72 super beetle front clip. The supers had a longer nose.

Thanks for the ideas.
Actually I have had others suggest that to me as well. I kept it in mind but there are other things I considered also:
1) A street driven blower motor is going to produce alot of heat. This will require a cooling system operating as efficiently as possible. This means it will need to have fresh cool air coming in to help keep the temperature down. I do not think it will work as well if it is in the rear.
2) Because I know the fuel mileage is not going to be that good, I wanted as large of a fuel cell as I could make fit. I already bought a 20 gallon aluminum one that will be located in the rear. I plan on part of the tank being in the boot area and part being in the area that was originally for the rear seat. I will have to cut out a rectangular hole a little bigger than the tank and box it in to make this work. But I feel like it is very doable.
3)If I were to try to use a different front end, I would still have to make cuts somewhere. Plus I would have to find the parts and buy them. If I just extend what I have, it is just a matter of using straight filler panels. This keeps it simple for me, will still look good, and I think is very doable as well.
I am not trying to come across as a know-it-all, or trying to seem ungrateful for the ideas. I do appreciate them, I am glad people are taking the time to look at and read what I am trying to do. A big "Thank You" to everyone that takes a look and leaves a comment. It is why I keep posting. Cheers!
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Well I have been working on extending the frame 6 inches and building the transmission crossmember and front and rear driveshaft safety loops. Also started on the framework to mount the floor pans. Since the bottom of the shell extends below the frame to get the stance I wanted, I had to come up with a way to have something for the floor to lay on. Here are a few pictures to show what I am working on.

Here is where I am right now.

Also, Part 8 is on Youtube now. It has more pics and descriptions. It feels like I have a long way to go! I will keep working and keep posting. Thanks for looking. Razz

Link

rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Looking good ! I love the gasser look. Your right about cooling, going to run hot with that setup ! Have you thought of running dual radiators ? Go with smaller ones split to either side? Air dams to help with flow ? Elec fans ?
Slow & Steady is the key
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

rmh60bug wrote:

Quote:
Looking good ! I love the gasser look. Your right about cooling, going to run hot with that setup ! Have you thought of running dual radiators ? Go with smaller ones split to either side? Air dams to help with flow ? Elec fans ?

There are so many ways to go on these builds. Lots of possibilities, including the ideas you mentioned.
Here is why I chose what I am doing. I bought a radiator and electric fan kit from Jegs. It is perfect size to fit up front and can be mounted straight up. Also, since the blower is going to be sticking thru the hood, it is going let air pass thru to help with the heat. One more thing, I plan on leaving the sides up front mostly open to get a good view of the motor and to let out the heat. This will also keep the old gasser look I have in mind. So, I think when all these things are added up it will run cool and fit into the overall look I am going after. Thanks for your ideas and for reading. Razz
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

I have a few updates and pics ready. I have spent a ton of time working on laying out the frame work for the floor and the transmission/driveshaft tunnel and working on the mid-plate mounts.

Here is the passenger side frame work.

Close up of weld nuts for mid-plate.

Welded into place.

Test fit with scatter shield in place.

Building the lower section of the firewall. This will be the separating point for the chassis and the shell so I can take them apart like VW intended. Smile

I took off the scatter shield to protect it. Working on the bottom of the lower section.

Starting on the driveshaft tunnel and going to work my way forward towards the transmission.

Here is what it looks like now.

I hope to have enough soon to make the next YouTube video, Part 9. In the mean time I will keep working and keep posting. Thanks for checking this out.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

Just went through your thread with great interest.
I am currently looking into something similar.
I have a low mileage v6 s10 that could be the donor.
Then 2 beetles.
Thinking of cutting the front and back off my 61 vert and building a hard flat top for it. Then have an open engine style engine and moving the firewall forward.

Example pic.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Machine Dr.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Oval Chopped Blown V8 Build Project Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
Quote:
Just went through your thread with great interest.
I am currently looking into something similar.
I have a low mileage v6 s10 that could be the donor.
Then 2 beetles.
Thinking of cutting the front and back off my 61 vert and building a hard flat top for it. Then have an open engine style engine and moving the firewall forward.

I thank you for taking the time and interest.
I think these cars have so much potential and character. They are completely different and there are plenty of ways to be creative in your own way and end up with a great car!
I say go for it! Cool I would love to see more of these cars out there. They do turn heads!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: