Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

seat stand was white too.

From just behind the seat stands forward it should be all white.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

simply put, the only thing that wasnt white inside was ;

the roof
the long side panel and the short one (between rear wheel and cargo door).

The rest, as far as i can tell, was all off-white. (blue white?)
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

It appears that i vastly underestimated the time required to install the new wiring. I should have known when i unboxed those a long time ago ;
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Spent 2 hours today just trying to understand the wiring diagram and figuring out what is what color. I used the 1963 wiring diagram and the wiring harness here ;
http://store.concept1.ca/Complete-Harness-T2-63-64-WW-211971013G-WW/

Obviously, i already lost the instruction that came with it.. i think.

Then trying to find which switch goes where based on the bentley.

Correct me if i'm wrong (Pretty sure i am) ;

J5 : gas gauge, ok, that one i'm sure i'm right
E : Windshield Wiper Switch
J6 : Emergency light switch
F : Lighting Switch

Lastly, i have this blinker relay that i wonder if its worth keeping/selling? Since its a 6v, i figure i'll have to replace it anyway

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Looks like correct placement of gauge and switches.

Relay is a good one to sell if you know it works, or give away if you do not know or it is not working.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

don't forget the interior light switch (correctly done on your steering pod left.)

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Relay is a good one to sell if you know it works, or give away if you do not know or it is not working.

Switch are good? cool. I wasn't sure about the light and emergency, since the Bentley doesnt seem to have both shown on any picture.

Yeah, i'm gonna keep it and see if i ever go to a car show if someone wants/needs it

williamM wrote:
don't forget the interior light switch (correctly done on your steering pod left.)

Yeah, got that one.

I tried sending an email to WW to see if they have a PDF of the instruction (pretty 100% sure i lost em).. I'll wait until i have those in hand before trying again.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
I wasn't sure about the light and emergency, since the Bentley doesnt seem to have both shown on any picture.

Whoops! Embarassed Those should be switched. Here from the 65 owner manual:

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Your light and emergency switch should be swapped. Light switch is always closest to the speedo pod unless you are Eric &Barb I guess... Smile

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Sooo, yeah. When christmas vacation arrived, i decided to challenge myself and get the engine in...

then someone told me that 6v starter teeth do not fit with 12v flywheel... possible? From what people were saying on the forum, 6v works, just not very good on the starter... So anyway, i tried to have it turn, and nothing happens. But i don't care, i'm working on it and getting it ready for when i get my 12v starter.

First thing, grinding the tranmission. I think i went a bit too far i think and started getting to the tread.

I did hit another trouble ; one of the bolt cant be removed. I started trying to get some PB Blaster in, but considering how the hole is, i'm not sure its getting there... I tried forcing it, but i dont want to break anything... anyone got an idea?

Next, i worked on my front floor mat. It's cleaning pretty well. Once its finally clean, i'll start repaing the tears.

Lastly, wiring!

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

6 volt starter will work just fine on 12 volt, but you can not mix 6 volt with 12 volt gears.

Have you tried tightening the bolt a tiny bit and loosen? Repeat till you get it to wiggle ever so slightly and then add in more oil.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

IIRC The threaded holes in the "horns" are open on the other end (toward front of bus). I would try saturating it from that side too, then use some heat if that doesn't do the trick.

Eric&Barb wrote:

Have you tried tightening the bolt a tiny bit and loosen? Repeat till you get it to wiggle ever so slightly and then add in more oil.

Do this too, it works. Much better than breaking a bolt off.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
..i'm working on it and getting it ready for when i get my 12v starter.

You'll need the correct adapter 12 volt I.D. to 6 volt O.D. bellhousing bushing.

Enkiel wrote:
...one of the bolt cant be removed.

Which bolt?
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Enkiel wrote:
..i'm working on it and getting it ready for when i get my 12v starter.

You'll need the correct adapter 12 volt I.D. to 6 volt O.D. bellhousing bushing.

Enkiel wrote:
...one of the bolt cant be removed.

Which bolt?

got the bushing, a long time ago.

The bolt holding the tranny mount.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

So, i'm still working on the electrical part, and trying to figure out what i'm missing.

So from the diagram , i need a "turn signal flasher" and a "emergency flasher relay".

If i believe the diagram, the turn signal flasher should be this (it has 49, 49a and 31 pin);
http://store.concept1.ca/12V-Flasher-Relay-111953227D/

And i'm taking a wild guess, the emergency flasher relay should be this ;
http://store.concept1.ca/Flasher-Relay-T2-62-65-12V-211953226-WW/

Am i right?

EDIT : also, is there a chart somewhere where i can find what kind of bolt goes where? I need to replace ;
Steering box bolt
Engine bolt's nut
Apron Bolt
Tranny mount's Bolt and Nut.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

And i'm taking a wild guess, the emergency flasher relay should be this ;
http://store.concept1.ca/Flasher-Relay-T2-62-65-12V-211953226-WW/

Am i right?

EDIT : also, is there a chart somewhere where i can find what kind of bolt goes where? I need to replace ;
Steering box bolt
Engine bolt's nut
Apron Bolt
Tranny mount's Bolt and Nut.

Looks like that will work if you chassi is before chassis 215 190 000.

Dealer parts manual is best, but obsolete documents website is down right now:

http://oacdp.org/5867part.html

Thru the "Owners Manuals" above you can access the 1958 dealer parts manual. All those bolts are the same except the earlier version had 14 mm bolt head instead of the 13 mm headed post-1960 bolt.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

thanks.
Following that site, i found these ;

Steering gear mount :
5x Bolt, Hex, Head AM 10x40

Transmission mount :
2x Spring washer B20
4x Bolt, hex Head M 8x15
4x Spring washer B8
4x Nut hex. M8

engine :
4x Nut M10 Din 934

Apron :
4x Bolt hex. M8x42 DIN 931

I have to admit, i never bought bolt and nuts of a specific size... so i'm not even sure if all this make sense.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Bolts are shown as diameter of the threaded shaft, then length of bolt from tip to underside of the head. Hmm, you will also need the thread pitch of each. SAE shows that as how many threads per inch 13 in the following, EG 1/2-13 x 1-1/4". Metric is how many threads per mm, usual ones are 1.00, or 1.25, or 1.50.

Nifty thing is you can use the parts manual to look up parts on line. Have found stuff that was pretty much unknown that way.

Lets take the engine bolt and studs nuts. The part number is "N 11 010 2" in the manual. For on line searches it works best to take out the spaces, so "N110102". You are going to get a lot of random results with a WWW search with just that number, add "VW" to it like so "VW N110102" and you get these results:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=VW+N110102&t=canonical&atb=v38-3&ia=web
whereswaldie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
If you can find a wrecked/rusty post-1967 lid you could cut out the hinge mounting points or the whole top inner frame, to weld into the earlier lid. If the ones on your early lid are completely missing.

Getting used stuff is out of the question, unless i could find local (which i most likely wont). To give you an idea ;
To get a 100$ piece above the engine shipped from the US to Canada, it cost 200$...

So tonight i worked on the engine lid. I have 3/4 of the hinge done. It's not perfect, its not pretty, but it works, and is somewhat stock. Tried many different approach to fixing that engine lid, but its pretty beat up and rusty, so can't be worst than it already is, again.

didnt get any picture, i'll try to get some tomorrow when i finish it, and hopefully i'll get the apron fixed, and i'll be one step closer to finished.

Enkiel, if you're still looking for an engine lid, I have one that I believe came off a '66. And I'm only 40 minutes Southwest of Montreal!

'59 Standard Beetle
'62 Canadian Standard Beetle
'62 Beetle
'62 Single Cab
'65 Kombi
'69 Standard Beetle
'74 Type 181 'Thing'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

whereswaldie wrote:
Enkiel, if you're still looking for an engine lid, I have one that I believe came off a '66. And I'm only 40 minutes Southwest of Montreal!
I'll contact you regarding some other part. My engine lid is pretty... decent.

Received my last order friday from concept1 (i love them. For a canadian store, they got pretty much everything i need, and free shipping!), and took some time off family to work on the bus... lets say it been awhile.

So what i accomplished ;
- installed new rear trans mount. Need to replace the front one too i think (have it), because i think its toasted which would explain why the tranny is about 1/2 inches too far back.

- installed the new drag link. I think there's still quite alot of play on the steering, i'll have to get a second opinion on that. I'm not sure what is considered play. When i turn the wheel a bit, t here's no resistance, but the wheel turn, then about 1/8 turn later, t here's resistance and the wheel, well, turn.

Still left to install ;
- Speedo. Most bulb socket were screwed, so i ordered a few new one.
- acceleration cable, because mine seems to be made out of something very, very flimsy.
- Shift Coupler. Yeah, surprised? i'm not..
- Engine mount bolt, because a kit was available, and i didnt want to have to search forever to find the correct one.
- Apron rear hardware kit. Same thing. I'll finally see if my Apron fits or not.

Someone's coming next saturday to help me out. I'd really really like to get the engine in and connected. Just that would be quite an accomplishment. But i doubt i'll get that far. I might also just try and remove the transmission to see what the hell is up with that.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

- installed the new drag link. I think there's still quite alot of play on the steering, i'll have to get a second opinion on that. I'm not sure what is considered play. When i turn the wheel a bit, t here's no resistance, but the wheel turn, then about 1/8 turn later, t here's resistance and the wheel, well, turn.

With wheels pointed straight ahead there should be at most 1 inch of play measured at steering wheel outer rim.

Enkiel wrote:

Someone's coming next saturday to help me out. I'd really really like to get the engine in and connected. Just that would be quite an accomplishment. But i doubt i'll get that far. I might also just try and remove the transmission to see what the hell is up with that.

Better to sort out the transaxle before installing the engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 20

Jump to: