Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for certain bumper grommets
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidyat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Looking for certain bumper grommets Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can find the bumper grommets that go between the bumper overriders and the blade on a 67 Bug to prevent scratching? Hope these pictures can help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for certain bumper grommets Reply with quote

To my knowledge. Original (OG) bumpers did not have grommets between the over rider and the blade. After market ones do because of terrible fit up.

You might try Wolfsburg West(WW) http://wolfsburgwest.com/
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for certain bumper grommets Reply with quote

Those are from aftermarket bumpers, which means you don't have factory bumpers.

They aren't to prevent scratching, they were used to hide the horrible fit from the towel rail to the bumper blade from cheap aftermarket manufacturing practices.

The quickest and easiest way to see if someone used cheap crappy aftermarket bumpers on a restoration is to see those pieces of rubber on the bumpers.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind

Last edited by Keith on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for certain bumper grommets Reply with quote

Those are aftermarket from cheap bumpers. Non stock. I don't believe Wolfsburg West will have those.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for certain bumper grommets Reply with quote

If you need to fill that gap on your bumpers, you can cut your own oval-shaped spacers from inner-tube rubber. You may have to stack 2 or 3 together to fill the space, because, as others have said, the cheaper replacement bumpers used these grommets to mask the less-than-perfect fit. If you cut your own spacers, be sure to use SOLID rubber, and not any kind of foam rubber that will retain water and encourage rusting. Good luck.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for certain bumper grommets Reply with quote

Post a Wanted ad. If I had any- I'd mail them to you for free. I will never in my life put a bumper on a beetle that requires those- and I can't count how many I've thrown away.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
davidyat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for certain bumper grommets Reply with quote

Well now, thanks for the advice. As I'm putting the bumpers back together, I'll see about the fit. Maybe it's just me, but I like the look of the grommets. And as someone above said, no matter what you do, someone will find fault with it. As I don't plan on selling it, after I'm gone from this earth, it will be someone else's problem!! I don't do anything in my life to please others, only to please myself. As I am rebuilding the engine on the bug, I'm replacing all nuts, bolts and 6mm sheet metal screws with stainless steel, metric socket heads and button heads for the sheet metal from a company called BoltDepot.com. It just looks better to me. If someone after me wants to rebuild the engine, I promise you, they will be relievied at not having to drill out stubborn screws that you know will strip out the phillips head. And a bit of advice, when screwing together nuts and bolts that will be subject to water, heat, rust and gunk, put a little dab of antisieze paste on the threads, it really helps if ever you disassemble anything. I use antisieze paste on the threads of the spark plugs as heat over a long period of time can possibly weld steel threads to alluminum and magnesium. Learned this when I was racing motorcycles in the California Mojave Desert in the early 70's.
Thanks again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for certain bumper grommets Reply with quote

The replies may be harsh but understand a lot of the members here are very anti non "OG" (original German). In a lot of cases it's well warranted as repops of most parts are notoriously cheap and poor quality. Aftermarket bumpers in particular are pretty poorly made and are infamous for rusting within a short time. If you're planning a quality rebuild, look into some nice original bumpers, quality replacements by Wolfsburg West or even the stainless steel ones that are being produced nowadays. They're spendy, but nice.

As for the antiseize, it's not a secret around here. Search the term and you'll find it to be pretty common knowledge on this forum.

Post up some pics of your build. Always a crowd pleaser.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine

Last edited by Sharp64 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for certain bumper grommets Reply with quote

If you haven't heard ; painting the back of the aftermarket bumpers is recommended to make them last longer .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
yammi450
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for certain bumper grommets Reply with quote

Why don't you try hitting up some of those companies that produce those aftermarket bumpers, or even sell them maybe they have a lead on them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: