Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas leak from tank drain line
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Gas leak from tank drain line Reply with quote

Gas is running out of the gas tank by way of the drainage line on the front driver's side of the fuel tank. Sometimes it happens right after I get finished filling up before I pull away from the pump. Sometimes it happens during the night and I don't find it until the next day with the whole garage smelling of gasoline. Another time I was working in the garage and it just started leaking while the car was sitting there not being touched.

When I fill up the gas tank I don't push the fuel nozzle all the way into the filler neck (because it clicks off within seconds) and I only fill until it clicks off the first time.

I have a 3mm line pushed onto the nipple at the front top driver's side of the fuel tank. From the tank it does a semicircle and then up to a built-in flat metal clamp on the driver's side, does the loop at right back through the clamp and then down and through the hole in the front of the bottom of the bonnet. From there it just points down to the ground.

Does anybody else have this issue? I understand it would have happened in a turn but while sitting completely still with no slosh going on?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leak from tank drain line Reply with quote

Okay I tried a different approach for searching the forums. I think the way I have this hooked up is completely wrong. These are the vent lines they're supposed to run into a charcoal canister and then eventually a second one at the rear of the vehicle. From there into the air cleaner.

Can someone verify this to be the case? And if possible, point me at some pictures of how this is supposed to be hooked up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leak from tank drain line Reply with quote

There was a post within the last couple months that involved the routing of the Evap hoses...
I've swapped to an in trunk fill bug tank, and removed All the evap system, so no help personally.... try and search for evap hose, or emissions hose.... something along that line, there's a graphic that shows routing!
Good,luck!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leak from tank drain line Reply with quote

There was a post within the last couple months that involved the routing of the Evap hoses...
I've swapped to an in trunk fill bug tank, and removed All the evap system, so no help personally.... try and search for evap hose, or emissions hose.... something along that line, there's a graphic that shows routing!
Good,luck!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leak from tank drain line Reply with quote

Okay thanks GI Joe. I'll try and track that down.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leak from tank drain line Reply with quote

this is the best pictures I have

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gas leak from tank drain line Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=198000&highlight=charcoal

Here is my explanation of the venting system. The black colored cannister located in your trunk is the expansion chamber (yours is not connected via your photos), and the charcoal cannister is located above the tranny on the passenger rear side if you get under your car and look there.

Read the post above and view the photos that were posted here and you should get an idea how it works.

If you are not going to run the stock expansion chamber/charcoal cannister out back then I would cap the vent tube that you are currntly having problems with on the driver side. If you look at the photos above on the passenger side there is an overflow tube and next to the 90 degree elbow there is a fitting with another small vent line hooked up. Run this one high, like in the photo, then at the top center of the luggage department run the line in a circle then continue it along the drivers side and then run it down and out the front. This is how the early bugs were they ran the vent tubes high then back down and out the front near the steering box area. Remember you need a good vent so your gas flows and there is no suction on the gas tank.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leak from tank drain line Reply with quote

Okay guys thanks for the extra info. I'm going to post a few more pictures of my trunk area. I've got the expansion chamber but I don't have the T fitting on the smaller hose for the filler so I'll have to find that. When I bought the vehicle a bunch of stuff came with it but it wasn't installed. I do have the old rotted expansion lines with a plastic T fitting but at this point I can't tell how they used to be in there.

I also have the charcoal canister in the back and the hoses running to and from but they need to be replaced because they're somewhat brittle in the engine compartment.

So there's supposed to be a metal line that runs from the trunk to the expansion chamber that is additional to the actual fuel line that runs through frame? Done the work hooking up my new gas tank as well as the restoration of my gas heater and also the rebuild of the front end suspension and brakes. I did not see a second metal line but I could have missed it. Any clues as to where it is found?

Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leak from tank drain line Reply with quote

The metal vent line is in two parts. The clear vent line from the front canister go's into the small metal line under the gas tank on the front body panel "firewall" Then a small hose connects this to the big metal line by the right fender well and follows the right floor pan held on by clips attached by the pan to body bolts to the rear and over to the plastic filter by the trans. These metal lines can be made with 1/8 brake line.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas leak from tank drain line Reply with quote

You need to start with a " Smell kit" from TTS.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: