Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tales from the Bulli Klinik
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Yes. my SC is clean in that area, I will get you some pics (unless there are file photos that come sooner).
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Thanks, Man! I'm not sure what's going on down there. Just want to get it right the first time. If anyone has a pic of a replacement panel, maybe a KF replacement piece, that would be great. Once I get the lower pillars squared away, I can start pinning some sections together.

Now I need to find someone with a thin lip dogleg that I can pull some patterns off of.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
Thanks, Man! I'm not sure what's going on down there. Just want to get it right the first time. If anyone has a pic of a replacement panel, maybe a KF replacement piece, that would be great. Once I get the lower pillars squared away, I can start pinning some sections together.

Now I need to find someone with a thin lip dogleg that I can pull some patterns off of.

I just read this entire thread. Wow. Incredible work. I feel like I just got an education in metal work. I can't wait to apply some of this. Your'e doing an amazing job and I will be waiting for updates.
I have the complete lower A Pillars and will post some photos when I get back home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Great build thread and Nice fab skills.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you. That would be great if you could post some photo's Burly.

The project has taken a back seat to a Vanagon Westy build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=689614
I sold my Dormobile at the end of last year which left me without a camper. I'm looking forward to having something a bit roomier and more modern.

I've been slowly collecting parts and spending a lot of time looking at the Bus and deciding what I want to do with it. I think I have it mostly figured out.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I hope we will see more updates on this, your panels are incredible quality!
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Any updates on this bus??
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I've done a bit of work on it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I had to slightly modify the inner valance to make everything fit just right, but I'm happy with how it's turning out.

I've been trying to focus my efforts on my Westy Vanagon, though I like getting sidetracked with the Splitty.
Colorado Springs
busworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

As usual Mike, above and beyond. Looks great!
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Like someone once told me, “I can tell that you and I would be friends”.

Excellent work there. Always great seeing a project where you can learn so much.
Now keep it up.
Looking forward to more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Everything just looks -happy- in your shop. Great work.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I've been a bit buried in other projects, but I'm still plugging away when time allows.

I'll post back up when I make a bit more progress.
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I thought that this was going to be the last Split Bus that I would own but life has a way of throwing curve balls every once in a while...

I'm working away in the shop last week when a gentleman pulls up on a scooter. A nice guy by the name of Tom comes in and we chat for a bit about projects in the shop and VW's. He mentions that he has a Fox which he would like to give me if I'm willing to move it for him. Apparently Toms neighbor is building a stone wall at the edge of his property and a tree is growing roots into said wall and the Fox is abandoned and in the way.

Not having any real interest in Fox's, I tell him that I have a friend who is and that we may be able to get the car out of there for him. While writing down my buddy's number, I casually ask if he has any other VW's that he would be interested in selling. His reply, 'I have a 21 window Microbus'!

Needless to say, I made plans to meet him in the morning.
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I head over to Tom's in the AM, we have a look at the Fox then I ask if I can see the Bus. He leads me over to a dilapidated shed and pries open the door just enough to stick my head in and there it was, a blue and white Deluxe! The shed was dark and I couldn't see much but I liked what I saw! The Bus had been sitting in the shed since 1985 and looked it. It had a thick layer of dust and dirt and had been taken over by a gang of racoons. He mentioned that the fabric for the top had to be replaced and that they were available Smile as well as mentioning that he had an extra corner window....WHAT?

I made him an offer based on what I saw from wedging my head into the door and we arrived at a deal. He got more than he wanted and I was very pleased as well.

The shed:

The shed built in front of the shed:

I left with plans to head back the next day.
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

When I arrived the next day, Tom had cleared some of the junk in front of the shed and had some shovels ready. I had to dig out a foot of gravel and dirt which had washed against the door over the years. I never had so much fun shoveling! Once I pried the doors open, this is what I saw:

Needless to say, it was hard to contain my excitement when I saw that beautiful, Deluxe, press bumper hanging on the front like a bad moustache! I think that Tom had forgotten what year the Bus was having been parked for so long...

And just when I thought that all the Barn Finds were found....
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

My Buddy Greg Gearhead and I returned the next day to unearth the find. We hooked up the Fox and dragged it back to the Greg Gearheadquarters and returned to nab the prize.

I wont bore you with the details, but it basically involved trying to get bleed the clutch in an old truck parked in front of the shed number 2. Moving said truck in order to move a motorcycle out of the shed so we could pry it up, stick some PVC pipes under it and move it out of the way. We finally hooked the Bus and dragged it out it's cave with about and inch to spare on either side! It was a lot of work and I have to give props to Greg for being a good friend and helping out. By the way, if you are into vintage lights, Euro-cars and accessories, check out his site: http://greggearhead.com/index.html Lots of cool stuff and a cool guy to boot!

We loaded up the booty and dragged it over to Greg's shop for his monthly Cars and Coffee event. It was great to see the dusty old Deluxe Barn Find amongst the rare, exotic and restored cars at the event. We celebrated with a couple of beers after everyone left and hauled the Bus over to the Bulli Klinik.

Here's Tom saying hasta luego...I told him I'd be back to give him a ride once it's running.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I have a full schedule, but the call of the Samba is irresistible and I had to clean things up a bit. This thing was filled with shit and debris from the raccoons and it took 4 big bags to hold all of it. Here's the kicker; the sunroof assembly, rear seat and lots of other untold parts lie in the years of crap accumulation. It was like and excavation going through the poo in order to unearth parts. I'm glad I didn't just start shoveling as I found a few nice goodies entombed in the poo. I guess poo is a pretty good preservative when it comes to horn buttons!

Here's what I was dealing with:

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

After a lot of shovelling followed by a couple days of pressure washing, bleach and Superclean spray as well as plenty of scrubbing, it was somewhat habitable.

Though not 100% complete, I did find much of the rare stuff; rear Deluxe bumper, nice horn button, front and rear seat frames, virtually all of the sunroof parts, the jack and crank start handle as well as a few odds and ends and a neat old vintage medicine bottle.

Unfortunately the middle seat was long gone.
Colorado Springs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: