Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tinker Time!!
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Tinker Time!! Reply with quote

Well... -40'C up here, and I'm not brave enough to drive the buggy when it's this cold, so time to start playing.

Had an incident over the summer where the gas pedal spring came loose and the pedal flopped forward onto the floor in the middle of a intersection. Bought the X-cellerator speedball pedal to ensure it doesn't happen again.

The old:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The new:

cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinker Time!! Reply with quote

Next item was the oddball fuel gauge everyone was interested in, accidentally pulled the sheath off when I was redoing the dash. Lifted the hood and put everything back together... along with some zip ties and duct tape to ensure it stays in place. Some pictures to show how it works.

Float is attached to a pivot which pulls/pushes the cable:

Sheath runs over the tank to the back of the dash where the ex-lamp part clamps it to stop it from sliding in and out of the dash. Can see the custom 20+ gallon gas tank the builder put together.

Aaaaaand finally the new "gauge", made to match the horn button. Wire is showing green and I'm about 70% full. Wire would be hiddin if it was at 100%, out further and showing yellow at 40%, and further showing red below 25%.

cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinker Time!! Reply with quote

Next is the old speedo cable. Installed a Speedhut GPS speedo and don't need it anymore. Did have it coiled up under the dash until now. Have it pulled out through the front end now, but how do I remove it from the wheel???

And a huge shoutout goes to Rob (member manxbuggy). He sent me a Sandrover emblem from his first buggy. Super pumped to have it and trying to figure out a spot to mount it... thinking to the right of the dash.

weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinker Time!! Reply with quote

T remove the speedo cable there should be a square sticking out of the left wheel bearing dust cap, remove the c-clip if there is one holding it in then just pull the cable housing out from behind the spindle. May have to pull hard.
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinker Time!! Reply with quote

I really like the Speedhut GPS speedometers.
While cruising their site, I noticed they have a big speedometer with a small tach in the corner, or a big tach, with a small speedometer in the corner.

I wish they'd come out with a unit that has a big tach and a small digital speedometer in the corner. I like the idea of a big tach, but I find it hard to read the small speedometer.

Something like this:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinker Time!! Reply with quote

After you pull the speedometer cable out of the back of the hub/spindle you should plug the hole with something. It's a straight shot for dirt/water/crap to get into your wheel bearings.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinker Time!! Reply with quote

Thanks weasel_ugs and SBD,

Speedo cable popped out easily. Is there plugs available to pop into the holes? Or is this a job for some silicone?

Next question is about my shifter... currently have a Jamar super shifter.

Would really like to go with a hurst or mamba style shifter with trigger where I don't need both hands to shift into reverse. Can this one be modified or do I need a new shifter assembly, any recommendations if I do need a new one?

Cheers,
bpritchert87
The Idea Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinker Time!! Reply with quote

cwat1982 wrote:
Next is the old speedo cable. Installed a Speedhut GPS speedo and don't need it anymore. Did have it coiled up under the dash until now. Have it pulled out through the front end now, but how do I remove it from the wheel???

And a huge shoutout goes to Rob (member manxbuggy). He sent me a Sandrover emblem from his first buggy. Super pumped to have it and trying to figure out a spot to mount it... thinking to the right of the dash.

Cwat1982,

Not sure if I have mentioned to you before but I really like your buggy and what changes you have been made! great work. Even though styles differ (your offroad vs my Street) I too have a sand rover T bug and like to see more of them on the road. Keep up the great work.

Also, congrats on the emblem! I have been searching for years for one and have come up empty.. SO if you ever decide to sell it or find another please let me know... I have been thinking of having one made via 3d printer but would rather have an OG..

anyway Looking forward to seeing more updates in the future!

The Intelligence of a Man should not be measured by his age....

check out my sand rover t bug build! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287204
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: