Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SO44 interior
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: SO44 interior Reply with quote

It seems like there is not much info on the SO44 version of the Westfalia so I though I'd start a thread and at least add pictures in hopes of others "coming out of the closet" and sharing theirs. This is our 1966 with a poptop.

I thought I'd start with one of the unique cabinets in the SO44, the kitchen cabinet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This has four areas.

On the top is the sink and a counter top which are exposed when the lid is lifted up. On the right near the sink is a stainless steel piece that slides out over the sink and directs dripping water of freshly rinsed dishes back into the sink,

The sink I have is a square plastic bowl that has what looks like a pretty standard drain and a clear plastic tube that runs down and out a hole in the cargo floor. I don't know if this is correct.

Mine has some sort of 12V pump that seems to work with the sink faucet but I haven't played much with it and I have no idea if it's original.

The middle cabinet has three drawers for utensils, knives, forks, spoons, etc. and in the bottom, two fresh water jugs held in place with a leather strap.

At the end near the cargo doors is the icebox.

Mine has a drain out the back that also runs out the hole in the cargo floor.

Also on this cabinet is a European spec cigarette lighter that faces the cargo doors and would allow a chandelier to plug in. My chandelier has a US spec end and someone added a US spec power outlet to the top area of the kitchen cabinet above the ice box.

Last edited by nlorntson on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

Here's the flooring. The hole for the sink and ice box drain is shown. There is a piece of rubber stapled to allow the tubes to poke through but keep most of the road grime from getting in.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

Curtain Bungies

1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

Thanks for your interesting posts.

I also own a SO-44. It is from 1965 and is a euro model. What year is yours ?

I was missing the original curtain bungees and bought the material from bubba after I read this thread started by zehbehs about his friends SO-44 revitalisation :

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=638974&highlight=curtain+bungees

The bungees are definitely not the same.

The original faucet is manual and from Whale. There was no electric faucet on these. The original faucets show up in the classifieds from time to time.

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

1950split wrote:

I was missing the original curtain bungees and bought the material from bubba after I read this thread started by zehbehs about his friends SO-44 revitalisation :

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=638974&highlight=curtain+bungees

The original faucet is manual and from Whale. There was no electric faucet on these. The original faucets show up in the classifieds from time to time.

Thank you. Smile

Mine is a May 1966 model. Delivered to Karlsruhe Germany and bought by a US Army Air Corp guy while he and his family were stationed in Hanau, Germany at the base. The guy I bought it from was his army buddy also stationed at Hanau. It's been over and back between the US and Europe three times and across the English channel 11 times. I have all sorts of camping receipts, pictures, etc. from Europe.

When we got it it had been converted to US spec (MPH speedo, power outlet in the back is US, bumpers, sealed beam head lights, seat belts, etc.) but there is evidence that it originally had European features like the interior outlet and exterior outlet. It also has a steering/ignition lock which is a European thing. The original interior was a solid yellow fabric, not the mustard vinyl or a plaid fabric.

Is the faucet a pump or siphon or something else? Do you have more pictures of the correct faucet?

Last edited by nlorntson on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

Your camper is sweet!
nlorntson wrote:

...The middle cabinet has three drawers for utensils, knives, forks, spoons, etc. and in the bottom, two fresh water jugs held in place with a leather strap.

You probably already know, but those water jugs/bottles were replaced at some point in time.
I think the SO-44 bottles were also used in the early bay versions of the camper that is similar to the SO-44, like the SO-69/1 and SO-69/3

The SO-44 bottles are not the same as the SO-34 version.

water bottle thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127297&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

The faucet is a pump type. I have no pictures at hand but will take some.

My kitchen cabinet has an integrated watertank at its bottom and a transparent hose is attached to it and to the faucet. I use the middle cabinet to store the butane gas bottle. Water gets filled through a filling opening in the side of the cabinet.

Your sink is original too.
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

You can see some pictures of a completely original SO-44 from 1966 here:

http://www.karmann1952gb.karmann1952.de/html/so44_westfalia_66.html

It's a euro model and has never been moded or restored.

There are some pictures of the faucet too.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Your camper is sweet!
nlorntson wrote:

You probably already know, but those water jugs/bottles were replaced at some point in time.
I think the SO-44 bottles were also used in the early bay versions of the camper that is similar to the SO-44, like the SO-69/1 and SO-69/3

The SO-44 bottles are not the same as the SO-34 version.

water bottle thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127297&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

my 66 westy SO44 had the same larger water bottles with the blue caps

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Your camper is sweet!

Thank you Clara! We're trying to get it ready for some camping this summer so we pulled the interior out and need to do a little rust repair on the floor and outriggers/jack points. It's given me some time to give things a good cleaning and fix a few items.

So far I've changed out the original pop-top canvas:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670226

Rebuilt the Eberspacher heater:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670280

I'm in the midst of rebuilding the engine and some interior repairs while hubby works out the rust repair.

1950split wrote:
You can see some pictures of a completely original SO-44 from 1966 here

Neat. Ours is a pop-top so a little different. It also has the yellow fabric rather than the yellow vinyl, and no jalousies, but the rest looks very similar!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

Here's the back seat back, also in fabric. Unfortunately the PO got tired of the color and had a vinyl cover professionally made and the upholstery shop used spray adhesive to hold a foam pad in place Crying or Very sad

The fabric is nearly perfect so I'm going to try to do something to get it off.

Does anyone have experience with this or suggestions?

I've used the 3M adhesive remover on some of the wood that has the same adhesive over spray and that seems to work all right, but fabric, I don't know.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Here's the back seat back, also in fabric. Unfortunately the PO got tired of the color and had a vinyl cover professionally made and the upholstery shop used spray adhesive to hold a foam pad in place Crying or Very sad

The fabric is nearly perfect so I'm going to try to do something to get it off.

Does anyone have experience with this or suggestions?

I've used the 3M adhesive remover on some of the wood that has the same adhesive over spray and that seems to work all right, but fabric, I don't know.

i wonder if you could remove the fabric and turn it over inside out?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BRANDEN HOY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

The 3m Adhesive remover should be safe on the fabric but I would check for color fastness on an inconspicuous corner first. I use it all the time here at the shop for all kinds of cleanups with no problems on any materials yet. I would put some on a white cotton cloth and rub a lower corner to make sure it doesn't release the yellow dye fro your fabric. It will release old dirt so some staining of the white cloth is expected but pay attention to make sure it's not pulling color. I'd bet that it will be just fine and wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot.

Last edited by BRANDEN HOY on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
westy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

Actually, i believe there is a dish rack that goes where that piece of metal is in the kitchen top. It allows dishes to drip dry into the sink.

i have a SO44 interior from my first bus that had unrepairable frame damage. Well, in 1998 it was unrepairable, now im sure someone would take the task. But when you could get splits for $1000, i parted it out and saved a few other buses at the time.

i still have all the original yellow vinyl. i have the optional rear headbanger cabinet as well. The interior is now in another split i own, also a '66.

'03 EuroVan Weekender
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
1950split wrote:

Thank you. Smile

Mine is a May 1966 model. Delivered to Karlsruhe Germany and bought by a US Army Air Corp guy while he and his family were stationed in Hanau, Germany at the base. The guy I bought it from was his army buddy also stationed at Hanau. It's been over and back between the US and Europe three times and across the English channel 11 times. I have all sorts of camping receipts, pictures, etc. from Europe.

It was delivered with the US package (MPH speedo, power outlet in the back is US, bumpers, sealed beam head lights, seat belts, etc.) but also a steering/ignition lock which is a European thing. The original interior was a solid yellow fabric, not the mustard vinyl or a plaid fabric.

Is the faucet a pump or siphon or something else? Do you have more pictures of the correct faucet?

Looks similar to the 73 only bay window westy fabric.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

The original curtain bungees were shot so I found some 4mm gray bungee cord and used the original crimps and replaced them.

The two on the cargo doors took 19" and the one on the long side I used 42"

They are held to the door with a small screw and metal cap similar to the screws that hold the wood panels to the doors.

The long side also has two little hooks that hold the cord in place

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

Very nice work on the bungees!!

The hole reinforcement looks a lot like ambulance step mat / split beetle running board mat.
Available as cut-to-length from a roll at your local OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware).

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

Good eye!

Yes it is very similar to the mat I used on our 1949 split running boards. I believe I have a chunk of that left but if not, this piece is actually in pretty good shape.

I wish the original floor material was not torn. I'm not sure I'll be able to use it Sad
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

You might be able to... for lack of a better word... iron the wrinkles out.

If you flipped it upside down... you might be able to find some sort of (say 6" wide) material that's made for patching. Like patching a bicycle tire... but a fuzz more rigid. When flipped back over... could use some grey silicone caulk or the like to fill whatever gap there'd be. Might not all be possible... just thinking out loud.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: SO44 interior Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
You might be able to... for lack of a better word... iron the wrinkles out.

If you flipped it upside down... you might be able to find some sort of (say 6" wide) material that's made for patching. Like patching a bicycle tire... but a fuzz more rigid. When flipped back over... could use some grey silicone caulk or the like to fill whatever gap there'd be. Might not all be possible... just thinking out loud.

Very much what I need to try on my W/T mat. It's blue- so worth patching. I intend to visit the iron-on patch aisle at the local sewing store as soon as I turn in my man card.

I would try a steamer on vinyl first before applying any other type of heat to remove wrinkles.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: