Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body Repair Panels? FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? Reply with quote

Very helpful, thanks for posting that!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: cip1 best dogleg Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
This came today,looks good to me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

I will not be installing this till spring 17,I have installed it's twin on the right side.

I think it fit okay with all the hacking I'v done around it.
here is a link to my project.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620186[url][/url]
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.

Last edited by lil-jinx on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Is it long where the outer fender meets the B pillar seam?, or am I just seeing things?, looks like a gap at the door post on the horizontal part and it seems awful tight where the door gap heads down towards the step.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Do you by chance have a link to that?
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Those pictures are from the trial fittings.I did have to do some pushing and pulling to get it fitting nice,
That gap at the front was a bit wide where it meets the a pillar,I think it could have fit easer if I had drilled out a few spot welds at the front of the step,but it was a first for me and I am happy with it.
link now at bottom of first post.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: cip1 best dogleg Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
This came today; looks good to me.

Any idea who manufactures that panel?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

I had called cip1 they said it is made by gt musclecar in tiawan.I dug around a little to see who they were,did'nt get much,but in the us there are a couple of custom shops using 66 mustang unibody from them.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Cip1 has a few parts for that area, from skin only (169.99) to complete no step(69.99) to complete replacement for dog leg (299.99) am I right that that is the complete DL area for 299.99? pn C24-211-809-502-D?
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Looks good for a quick fit up. I had some trouble with mine welding along the sheet metal toward the step section, but I was able to shrink out to shrink out the gappy parts. Even well fitting panels seem to require some last minute correction as you weld.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Is it long where the outer fender meets the B pillar seam?, or am I just seeing things?, looks like a gap at the door post on the horizontal part and it seems awful tight where the door gap heads down towards the step.

It kinda looks like that photo is an early fitting and there is some space where it should be tight up to the B pillar. That would increase the gap where it is too tight. I have used puller to tug the bottom of the A pillar back and get it to fit the front of the dogleg.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

this is the part number
C24-211-809-501-D C24-211-809-501-D – BEST QUALITY - LEFT FRONT COMPLETE WHEEL ARCH / DOG LEG ASSEMBLY - BUS 73-79 - (A30)
1 CAD $335.99 CAD $335.99
Busdaddy you are correct about the gap at the front,I think that if I had drilled out the spot welds where the leg meets the step weld then it would fit better and probably a little easier.

1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Couple of more

1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Bought that same dogleg and it looks really nice. I don't see anything wrong with your gaps there. My bus always had a tight gap on the down slope of the dogleg to the door.

Does anyone know where I can get a good looking long wall rocker for a '77? I emailed gerson and he said he doesn't stock them anymore. The perforations in the repair panels I see around scare me and the one that's on my bus is of that quality lol.

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

if you are looking for the left hand rocker with the seam, get on his list I guess....

I was going to send you to monkey nut vw, but they have stopped dealing with him I guess...ore at least selling his parts.

sucks, as they were nice panels to work with

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Bus Depot has "JustKampers" that fit nice -one piece but looks good.. reference no. 9555001.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
if you are looking for the left hand rocker with the seam, get on his list I guess....

I was going to send you to monkey nut vw, but they have stopped dealing with him I guess...ore at least selling his parts.

sucks, as they were nice panels to work with

Yeah, I emailed them a month ago about the panel too and they stopped selling his parts.

It's a bummer because my rocker is all jacked up with a bad repair and I'm just looking to get it to look somewhat original. Gerson's panel looked awesome and it sucks I missed out on that one. Oh well.

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Have you checked concept1 for rockers,I got parts for the left side this pass summer.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

smurf, his website shows he has them.....do you just need to get on his list/make an order with him or did he stop making them all together?

sad if he stopped. fucking cheap ass vw owners strike again. I REALLY hope he makes them.....they worked quite well

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Repair Panels? FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone else find it odd that Auto Craft's reproduction of the rear valance (apron) skin is the '79 only one with the quarter sized hole in the upper left corner?

When I emailed them a long time ago about it they didn't have anything to say and they said it would be a 2 weeks to have one made, which is fine, but when I ask if they can just make it without the hole they told me they couldn't.

I emailed them again just now to see if anything has changed in so far as getting one without the hole.

If it fits '72-'79, WHY produce the one year only version of it with the hole? Anyone can drill a hole in the panel, I think it's absurd they would have the rest weld the hole shut.

http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/bay-window_109/...72-79_440/

I had a link to another vender saved that had a quality rear valance skin without the hole and I can't find them anymore.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 41

Jump to: