Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reproduction Dome Lights
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reproduction Dome Lights Reply with quote

I did a search and only found threads on the wiring of dome lights and also one on the WW plastic reproduction option. So, if this should go in one of those, please feel free to lock this thread.

I'm looking for a reproduction dome light, anyone buy/use one other than the WW plastic ones? I don't like the WW plastic option because it is not even close to what was stock.

I found these options: One is not available, but the others seem to be in stock.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/dome-light-bulb-holder-interior-1956-1967-bus-334207-4

http://www.bbt4vw.com/en/catalogue/3-electrical-se...e-2-07-67/

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D211%2D947%2D107%2DA

Has anyone used any of these options? How are they?

Are they the exact size of the originals? I have two NOS dome light covers that I'm looking to use with them and was curious if they will work before I order them?

Thanks for any insights you all may have with the reproductions.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Dome Lights Reply with quote

I'll start. These lights are SO common used- and in great shape, why even investigate cheap repops?

You likely noticed your MAM and CIP1 lights are identical- yet are priced wildly apart, right? I've never seen a WW product come in below MAM or CIP for quality- but this time I do agree, plastic is unacceptable. The repop covers they sell fit the OG assemblies perfectly, but I would love to have NOS lenses to go on OG housings.

The BBT one looks nice- but I still can't fathom buying one when originals can be spiffed up much more easily and for less money. Make your NOS lenses happy.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Dome Lights Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

I saw a few NOS dome lights, but they are around 130 Euro which is a little too much, but they would be nice, but more than I can justify spending on interior lights.

I have seen some used here for sale, but they cosmetically look good on the outside, but terminals and such are rusty and some are untested. Maybe I need to look at the classified ads a little more closely.

The BBT one looked nice to me too, but it looks like it is not in stock and may be a while before they are back in stock. I will shoot them an email and inquire.

I'm guessing the one at Bustoration is the same as the other two I posted?

http://www.bustoration.com/Dome-Light-Bulb-Holder--67-4-2_p_1672.html

Any others have input?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Dome Lights Reply with quote

BBT will not sell to you directly. You can go through CIP or Eddy and Daves. They are the US distributors

no input on the rest, except I'd used good originals too. Hit up the swap meets, you will find good ones
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Dome Lights Reply with quote

Though I cannot speak about the reproduction units themselves, I do know that Doug http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=vdouglu
makes spot on lenses. He had some dome lenses previously, I'd send him a pm and see if he has anymore. They looked exactly like original units.
Phil 4:13
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reproduction Dome Lights Reply with quote

Thanks guys....I'm going to see if I can buy some nice used ones that will work well with the covers already have in my possession. It sounds like that might be better than the repops.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: