Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beam rust
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohiowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Beam rust Reply with quote

How much rust is too much? Should I replace the beam? Weld that completely rusted through hole? The other areas are flaking. I drove it like this for about 1k miles. Thank you
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam rust Reply with quote

That beam is shot! You need another one. Lets just say you can weld up the holes. There is far more rust on the inside you can not see that is ready to complicate matters more. Please be safe and get another beam.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam rust Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
That beam is shot! You need another one. Lets just say you can weld up the holes. There is far more rust on the inside you can not see that is ready to complicate matters more. Please be safe and get another beam.

X2

I would NOT drive that bus with that beam. There's still lots of good, non-rusted ones out there for sale in the dry SW USA.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam rust Reply with quote

Yeah , it's done. The problem is it has to come off to be de rusted and evaluated and once it's off, it's cheaper to put a dry one on.

Have a good look at the attachment for the swing lever. If that goes, your steering goes INOP.

It's dangerously rusted. Remove from service.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rust Reply with quote

That beam is totally shot. You need to find one covered in oil or one from a wrecked Bus. Do not waste your time on that beam. It's toast and will cost you or someone else their life WHEN it fails.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rust Reply with quote

You need to call Busted Bus, Avery's or some other southwest or west coast wrecking yard and order yourself a replacement beam.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rust Reply with quote

That beam is toast. Better call Chuck and see what is in his yard with a good beam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam rust Reply with quote

Question- could those new cnc steel plates be used to replace the old side mountings if the tubes are ok? It is getting harder to find a good front beam.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam rust Reply with quote

Almost anything is possible with enough money and time. How much money and time do you have?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rust Reply with quote

There is a parts Bus that recently burned in the classifieds.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rust Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
There is a parts Bus that recently burned in the classifieds.

Erb has a how to video on how to do the swap Wink
ajochum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rust Reply with quote

Have any of you changed out a beam? Any idea how long it takes and how much a replacement costs? Are they being reproduced?
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rust Reply with quote

http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/bus-...-beam.html

Scroll down to the menu "how narrow?, there is a non-narrowed option.
ajochum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rust Reply with quote

Wow! - Guess before I make the final commitment on this bus I really need to make sure the beam is solid. I have fully restored an older frame car, but one of the sites I visited makes it pretty clear to watch for rust in specific places.
Sure affects the final purchase price,
dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam rust Reply with quote

ajochum wrote:
Have any of you changed out a beam? Any idea how long it takes and how much a replacement costs? Are they being reproduced?

For a novice like me (never done it before) it took me a good weekend to change my beam to a WW one. The hardest part is the spindles/arms and getting them off. There are various pieces that go through the beam to deal with(cables, hoses, shift rod) I don't know what year your Bus is, '71 and above have the brake booster to fiddle with, too. I did mine after searching "beam replacement" on the Bay forum. Wasn't THAT hard.

Cost...when I did my beam I also needed new ball joints ($15/each + $80 to press out/in)and a Harbor Freight joint separator ($8 ). Oh, and I also needed new shortened steering arms (I believe ~$35 each + I shortened them myself so $20 for the tap). Other than that it's just the cost of the beam. (My adjustable beam from WW was $700 and I'm sorry, I don't recommend dealing with Nate)

Good luck with whatever you do. Personally, I'd just change the beam out with a good used one.

-dasdachshund
ohiowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam rust Reply with quote

Well a fellow LEAKOIL member has a complete beam off a California parts bus, and will even install it so I am in good hands. Truthfully, after perusing the split bus threads and marveling at hoopty ride frames being welded back together, I think that my beam is salvageable, but it's not worth the effort.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rust Reply with quote

Just to throw out another option there is a place in England that makes replacement suspension systems for these old rigs. They are twin wishbone setups IIRC. Never heard any feedback on them though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: