Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hand Crank Nut
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

Thing7 wrote:
So I've found the hand crank for sale at some of the online vw places, but none of them have the nut. Any ideas where to get the nut?

Ended up finding mine here:

http://www.thingparts.com/starting-dog-nut-for-crank-handle/

http://www.thingparts.com/vw-thing-hand-crank-engine-handle-nos-new-old-stock/

or another:
http://www.thethingshop.com/HAND-CRANK-ENGINE/productinfo/181012301/
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

I just bought one from a fellow in Olympia, Wash., noble transport services. I found it for sale on TheSamba. Not sure if he has anymore, his email is [email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

campingbox is greg, and he is my daughter Clara's boyfriend. they are both great VW guys, and have lots of obscure stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

Thats cool to hear Greg, they each sent a business card with the nut, that will get laminated to go in the garage for future reference.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

Well here is the crank nut got at OCTO some years back. I also have the tin, and think a hole and a rubber plug is OK.
Now that I have a standard 74 Thing, I feel that this would be good for that, a high compression 2054 motor may be hard to turn by hand.
Th 74 is going in to Kirkwood VW tomorrow for general stuff.
Adam will give it a regular tune uo even if it has all the smog that is no longer needed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

Hey Folks,

Have a question on installing the 'hand crank nut'.

Upon removing the old bolt and washer. I first tried the crank nut + the washer but I noticed the washer don't sit flush on the new 'hand crank nut'.

Since the "hand crank nut" looks like a nut+ washer made in 1 part, do we need to use a washer anymore when installing the crank nut?

I'm thinking we don't need the washer anymore but I wanted to ask to be certain.

Thanks for any help/suggestions

T

few photos for ref.

my original bolt and washer on left, new hand crank nut on right.

see the gap due to center hole size of old washer to new hand crank nut?

just a reference shot to show the size of the washer vs the entire hand crank nut with it's "built in washer"

ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

For years I have played with old tractors and old hit&miss engines. I have an old crank from a tractor and it fits right through the hole in the bumper just like a glove. I have also made or modified the nut or other receptacle for the crank to catch to crank and kick the handle out when started. I am going to get another nut for the pulley and modify it to fit the crank. Has anyone done this? I've got a couple ideas but if anyone has done it successfully it may prevent trial and error.

What is the size and thread count of the nut? May get it local.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:

What is the size and thread count of the nut? May get it local.

According to my info:
The real item, referred to as the "starting claw", (122105261) is threaded 20mmx1.

The standard Type 1 crankshaft pulley bolt,(111105261A) is also 20mmx1; listed as having 18mm of thread. You might want to alter that threaded length, depending on what washer you use.

The spring washer, (111105265) is listed at 23mm (ID) x 44mm (OD)

Hope that helps, Mondshine

Just for laughs...
How often do you guys have dead batteries?
In 1911, Charles Kettering’s electric self-starter eliminated the cumbersome and dangerous hand-crank and made driving convenient and appealing to a broad range of new consumers.
Developed by Kettering at his own small company, Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company (DELCO), it is still widely considered the most important automotive innovation of the twentieth century.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

Guess it's a belt and suspenders kind of thing that I also don't really get.

I'll save modifying my engine tin and the cost of the nut and crank and just keep my AAA membership up to date in the event that my battery dies on me.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:

I'll save modifying my engine tin and the cost of the nut and crank and just keep my AAA membership up to date in the event that my battery dies on me.

wbailey2112 No not a belt and suspender thing. Just something unusual or unique which is what the Thing is. My hit&miss engines for years I have run them and they did nothing but run and make me happy along with a few people that liked them. I'm pretty sure everyone has something they like that is of no use except just plain ole enjoy it. Example I have friends who in my opinion waste a lot of time and money on football but they like it. Different strokes for different folks
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

I happen to think there is a certain "cool factor" when it comes to the hand crank accessory. Saw a guy start a 36 hp bus motor with one at a show last weekend and it was impressive. Just as fast as Mr. Delco's motor too. Don't know if I would ever use mine, but they are still very cool, considering the military Type 181 was one of the last vehicles to come from the factory with one.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:

but what if you're....

out of cell service range, at the bottom of a hill and your starter goes out?

Then you gonna need to hand crank your Thing!

Sounds like 'you might be a red-neck if... kinda line don't it? Shocked

BTW: I got someone to answer my question posted above,

Thank you Mike Basso
T
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

Canister, I am a little curious as to what the answer to your question was? I recently bought a crank from Mr. Basso, so planning to add to my Thing this summer.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Canister, I am a little curious as to what the answer to your question was? I recently bought a crank from Mr. Basso, so planning to add to my Thing this summer.

Hey Waugamans,

i'll PM You.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

I think Mondshine answered your question. If you are using the "Starting Claw"
you would use the spring washer 111 105 265 not the concave washer you were trying to use.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
I think Mondshine answered your question. If you are using the "Starting Claw"
you would use the spring washer 111 105 265 not the concave washer you were trying to use.

any idea where to get a spring washer 111 105 265 Question

for that matter, I wonder what washer I had to begin with?
it looked flat not concave.

But I certainly don't want it coming off or getting loose.

But the visible gap in the photo,
it's not there once torqued.

I looked around a bit but not sure where to find that specific part.

ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

Started making mine with hand start capabilities today. I have got hole in tin and am fixing to modify a bolt. All the photos I see, from where the crank catches the bolt the bolt is flat quite a ways around to the left then the ramp to throw the crank out is rather steep. Look to me it would be better for that flat not go too far then ramp to throw the crank out would be a shallow. With the ramp steep I would think there would be a grater possibility of it catching rather than to climb the ramp and disengage. All thoughts welcomed.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

I think carrying a jump box would be easier and you would not be adding something that US cars never had. But "The Thing can be anything you want it to be" Has any body used one of these on a Thing to start it? I have a 1921 Model T that I have to use sometime and my Dad showed me how to use it so when it kicked back it would not break your hand.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

There are a couple of You Tube video's of using the hand crank to start your Thing.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Nut Reply with quote

here is a good youtube vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLKYaha9YpE
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: