Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED interior light
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: LED interior light Reply with quote

How many people have taken the fluorescent light out and changed it over to LED's?

"Growing older, but not up!"
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: LED interior light Reply with quote

Hundreds: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
avoll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: LED interior light Reply with quote

I've done it, it makes a substantial difference. Takes a few seconds to light up fully but, is definitely much brighter.
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: LED interior light Reply with quote

For some stupid reason I always forget about the Search function... thanks Smile

"Growing older, but not up!"
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: LED interior light Reply with quote

I totally did, using a parts light I had and utilizing warm white LEDs in a strip: works very well though I wish I had used a 3 position switch and the needed circuit to have a Low/High ability.

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: LED interior light Reply with quote

I have joined the 21st century!

No, I didn't add a damn Pertonix module…… Pry my Echlin points out of my cold, dead hands.

This week, I installed a "reading light" under my early bay hatch spring cover with an LED strip.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The switch is a big 20A johnson on the right side of the headbanger. That way, I can flail my drunk arms at it in the middle of the night to have light, or not. It is fused with a 2A fuse in the engine compartment, and uses all existing Westfalia holes in the metal for the wiring. (Max draw on the light is 0.8A. The thing might be too bright.)

Next up is the cargo area light. After living in the bus for six months, I can attest that the stock dome light is "just enough" for using the bus as a cargo vehicle, and "not quite enough" for cooking, cleaning, rebuilding distributors, or restringing a guitar on Mt. Shasta at midnight.

Enter the "LiteGear" product catalog. Luckily I have a hookup in the industry, so retail prices don't apply. My fascination with these lights started with my engine compartment lights three years ago:

(1A draw)

Then I stuck some under the dashboard, which proved to be Game Winners a few times in the midwest when I needed to find some stuff at night.

(.2A draw)

My attachment to the LiteGear brand is 99% due to their "color correct-ness" in rendering true tungsten color without adding additional green.

See the spectral graph of the LiteGear LED strips here?

Here is a spectral graph of some cheaper LED units, sent to me from Vintage Car LEDs:

The lack of green keeps me from getting seasick, and it keeps the interior of the car on a perfect 3200k color palate as the H4 headlights and stock dome light bulb. If you need a cheaper option, eBay sellers will peddle standard strips (with the green tint) for about $5 (shipped) for five meters of the stuff. From there, it's just about finding an appropriate housing and soldering up some fixtures.

I wired the special dimmer* to the lower half of the cargo light fixture, and wired the interior dome light switch to the upper half of the LED fixture. Here is the dimmer, which comes with a built-in magnet for affixing it to the car.

I left about six inches of cable tucked into the door panel so I can pull the dimmer off to let people play with it… Razz

Here is the main light, with ONE HALF of the LED strips, set to 50% total output. (This is 25% of the TOTAL light output for the fixture.)

(3A draw, assuming both switches at 100%)

So I could crank the dimmer to 100% and THEN add twice as much light by pulling the dome light switch. But in reality, the dome light switch is only used when I'm in the driver seat digging around for some stuff, so bright output is fine. The dimmer, being accessible from bed, my dining chair/toolbox, OR from outside the bus, will see much more action.

*The dimmer I used, because I had one on hand, is a "flame" programmable dimmer to give a flickering candlelight effect if desired. Press the button to turn the lights on or off, or hold the button down for a few seconds to automatically dim the lights to 10% and induce a slight flickering to REALLY set the mood. Enjoy responsibly.

See you on the road, now from a mile away at midnight,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: LED interior light Reply with quote

I remember when I thought I needed a ton of light options to see my tiny penis better too Robbie!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: LED interior light Reply with quote

Now I remember where I got the idea for LED engine lighting...

...but mine didn't involve graphs and dimmers. I had some waterproof LED tape light strip leftover from a remodel, and a fixed it inside the engine compartment. Currently, it's running straight off the battery with alligator clips, but just bought the switch, fuse and wiring to do it right.
Thanks once more, Robbie, for the inspiration. It makes working inside there much more manageable.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: LED interior light Reply with quote

Hang on that bus looks familiar...my engine hatch has the same rust spot on it...

Laughing

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: LED interior light Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Hang on that bus looks familiar...my engine hatch has the same rust spot on it...

Rust??? Evil or Very Mad "Patina", if you don't mind. Laughing

Chloe has a bit of it here and there. I'm wanting to learn how to weld to replace the few places that need it. Too bad the local community college doesn't offer welding classes. So I'm learning via internet...and figuring out what set-up to get. Lincoln MIG sounds like the best for DIYers. Any thoughts?

Edit: Oops... Didn't mean to hijack. Ignore the question... Embarassed

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: LED interior light Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
I remember when I thought I needed a ton of light options to see my tiny penis better too Robbie!

I did wonder why you had so many LEDs strung all over the place.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: LED interior light Reply with quote

I installed green LED lights in my gauges and under the dash and white ones in the overhead light.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: LED interior light Reply with quote

Way cool! Remind me to take a look at that setup next time you're over at Gary's. Where did you source the center brake light? My brake/turn light controller has an output for one, but I never installed the light unit...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: LED interior light Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Way cool! Remind me to take a look at that setup next time you're over at Gary's. Where did you source the center brake light? My brake/turn light controller has an output for one, but I never installed the light unit...

Thanks! Hopefully I'll figure out my last wiring placement dilemma before then. Twisted Evil

I bought the GoWesty Vanagon kit; it was the easiest unit to find that angles correctly on our vertical rear windows. Excellent and immediate results on the road! It's not the best quality, but I'll gladly buy one every five years if I have to. GoBigEmma has a Hella brand light, I'll see where they got theirs.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: