Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First bug!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Sweet find, there is a place in SeaTac called AutoSport Import, they have great quality parts and anything I've needed I have gotten from them..
J R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Hatracks wrote:
I would figure out what is wrong with the wiring and fix it or run just the new wires you need before doing a complete tear out. I looked at new harnesses for my super but the way the factory ran those things its a nightmare to get them out unless you do a complete tear down.

What engine tin are you missing? I live in Renton also and just ripped the old chrome/rust tin off my engine and probably have the pieces you need to get you by until you find good factory tin. There is also Averys air cooled down in Longview which is a VW junkyard where you can get original parts at a pretty fair price. They have never let me down on odd hard to find stuff.

Im picking it up after the first of the year so I will take inventory of any missing parts then. I will get it running as is at first but I will probably just end up cutting and pulling any wires I see and then run a new EZ Wire kit and route it so it is easy to get to. It isn't a rare car like a Tucker so Im not worried about keeping it factory.

What part of Renton are you in? I am in the East Highlands by Lake Kathleen and we have a few bugs in the hood. Each summer we try to have a few pot luck bbq car shows at my place. I'll let you know when we do the next one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bug powered...

Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

I live up between Fairwood/Maple Valley and am mostly a ford guy this is my first bug.
J R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Hatracks wrote:
I live up between Fairwood/Maple Valley and am mostly a ford guy this is my first bug.

Nice, we have a bunch of the "neighborhood" guys that live over in that area. Bunch of ford guys too, we are pretty much into everything from motorcycles, muscle cars, stock classics, lowriders, BMW 2002s, rods, customs, dragsters, gassers, early front engine rails, mini bikes, go karts and vans. My nextdoor neighbor has a 66 Continental and a 70 Mach 1 and a buddy down off Jones rd is building a first gen mustang that I think he might end up road racing.
J R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Hatracks wrote:

Nice, we have a bunch of the "neighborhood" guys that live over in that area. Bunch of ford guys too, we are pretty much into everything from motorcycles, muscle cars, stock classics, lowriders, BMW 2002s, rods, customs, dragsters, gassers, early front engine rails, mini bikes, go karts and vans. My nextdoor neighbor has a 66 Continental and a 70 Mach 1 and a buddy down off Jones rd is building a first gen mustang that I think he might end up road racing.
J R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Got it home AND IT RUNS!!!!!!

We had to rent a Uhaul trailer because it was too low and the tow bar was only 1/2" off the ground, with the roads around here that would have gotten ripped off the car real fast.
We got it unloaded and found that the "loose wire" was a dead battery and a weak fuel pump. I ran to the parts store and got a new pump, swapped it out, dumped some new gas on top of the old gas and she fired up and ran!
It even did a small burnout in the drive way!
It does run but we are fighting 5 year old gas, fouled plugs and 2 solex carbs that need adjusting.
Im working ot all week so this Saturday (if Im not working) we will drain the tank, throw in new plugs and adjust everything then we can see about getting all the lights working.

It also came with $1300 worth of new fenders, hood, seat covers and a beautiful WA state 1973 plate with a new tab sticker.
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Its nice. Personally I would just repair it and drive it for a while before doing anything drastic.

Think of it this way: what makes a bug a bug is what it is, if you go and change it before you find that peculiar thing, you might lose it (yes I know it has been changed already). Also, it aint rare, but it is pretty different from most of the other cars you mention.

The steering wheel looks on upside down.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Nice looking car. Man I love those wheels.
J R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

I got off work at the regular time today so I picked up some fuel line, filter and new plugs. ran the fuel line into a can of gas and she runs way better! I still need to adjust the carbs/timing and drain the 5 year old varnish out of the tank this weekend. Not bad for a car that hasn't run in 5 years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge0PkpZ0kZo
J R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

So we pulled the tank, drained it, replaced the old fuel hoses, fixed a bunch of wiring, replaced the headlight switch, replaced both brake light switches, fixed a bunch of bad grounds and added dielectric grease on every connection we could find. She runs a whole lot better but the carbs were shot from sitting for 5+ years full of gas.
I still need to order a new master cylinder and decide what the best and most complete rebuild kits for the carbs to order.

J R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Soaked the carbs for a day and threw fresh kits in them. Sucks because they were brand new when he parked the car and let it sit for 5 years. I adjusted them on the bench, bolted them on, it fired right up and I actually drove it around the block!!!
I ran the numbers on the block and it turns out the engine is a 68ish 1500, it is a little low on the power side but I haven't fine tuned it yet. On a happier note, the floor pans and inner wheel wells are rust free!

J R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

So the dual carbs run awesome but the driver side carb is dumping gas into the crank case. I blew it apart twice to check/replace the needle/seat, it is working like it should so from what I've read about these carbs I'm guessing that maybe it has a crack somewhere. I did get the stock intake and 34 pict carb when I bought the car so that is going back in as soon as I feel like sitting in the rain to swap it out.

I did get bored and welded up a new 90* neck out of some stainless for the fresh air box drain because the one that came on the car was cracked and held together by duct tape. I used some heat shrink tubing to tie it to the fresh air box. It works pretty good and now there is no more water running down onto the gas tank.

J R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

New master cylinder, valves adjusted, new valvecover gaskets, tires, wheels polished and throttle linkage adjusted so it does way more than 55mph now. Fires right up and runs great for a car that was sitting for 5-8 years (The cheap heat tubes are temporary).

Does anyone know what muffler this is?

Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Damn those wheels polished up real nice. Cool car!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

I always loved Centerlines on bugs. They look great.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: