Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony73tt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

Hi
I am from the UK and my bus is from New Jersey. What I wanted to know is if anyone can call on the old owner to see if she has any old pics or memories. The bus is now restored and back how it should be. Not sure if the old owner is even still with us.
I've tried doing a check as much as I can here in the UK, via the web of course. Wondered if anyone lives in Glendora could possibly visit and pass on my details, I would be very please to hear some stories of the old 68 bus.

Thanks Tony UK...

The ex owner according to title was: Elizabeth M Gentile, <removed>, Glendora NJ 08029

Here she is now...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

a quick google and... https://www.beenverified.com/people/elizabeth-gentile/nj/
scroll down-looks like she still lives there. Write her a letter?

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

...or call her: 1-856-939-XXXX. That was on the website too.
Ain't technology great? Very Happy

I'd like to find out what became of my 1971 Campmobile after I sold it in 1988. So I'm sure Elizabeth would be thrilled to find out, too.

Moderator note:
Phone # above has been edited out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tony73tt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

I sent her a letter this morning, so hopefully she will get it. Never can rely to much our Royal Mail...

I will try and call her to. You never know.... I will keep this post updated as I hear anything. Thanks for the response...
tony73tt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

Quick update: the phone number is not in service.. Crying or Very sad
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. But hopefully her mailbox is in working order. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

It would be nice to go back And remove her name from the thread and respect her privacy.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

when these "find the old owner" threads pop up I have to wonder why, and who cares about the old owner....

that's like saying "hey, I want to find my new girlfriends ex, because I want to hear memories and stories about her"

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
tony73tt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

Can't agree with you there on that one. I'm in the UK and considering my bus has had a massive journey to end up with me, that is just a story in itself. Can't understand why you would want to associate it with finding out who's married an ex of mine, nothing like or even near that statement. You are probably much better keeping statements like the one you've submitted to yourself. It's my post and asking kindly for advice, not to be "Knocked" for wanting to know the history of my bus. Can't understand why you submitted such a ridiculous answer...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

tony73tt wrote:
Can't understand why you submitted such a ridiculous answer...

stick around for a minute...you'll see I answer ridiculous questions with appropriate answers...

this topic has been covered....

it's no different than finding the kid that made your door seals. those were on a long journey before they got to you too.

the previous owner may tell you to f*ck off....then what? will you have the closure you need?

I did the same to an old GTI I had. found a slip under the back seat. called the woman. she said "I thought I sold that piece of shit far enough away I'd never hear about it again" she made it clear she didn't want to talk about it and hung up

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
tony73tt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

Because here in the good old United Kingdom we love history and also have lots of it, a lot more than you!! That's a good enough reason for you I'm sure... go and get some books on history of your kin folk, it won't take you long to read them... Razz
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
tony73tt wrote:
Can't understand why you submitted such a ridiculous answer...

stick around for a minute...you'll see I answer ridiculous questions with appropriate answers...

this topic has been covered....

it's no different than finding the kid that made your door seals. those were on a long journey before they got to you too.

the previous owner may tell you to f*ck off....then what? will you have the closure you need?

I did the same to an old GTI I had. found a slip under the back seat. called the woman. she said "I thought I sold that piece of shit far enough away I'd never hear about it again" she made it clear she didn't want to talk about it and hung up

Ha ha now that is funny!

For an alternate story:

A lady saw my '73 in a parking lot and came in asking whose it was. She went on to tell me that her in-laws had one "just like that except it was brown and white and had a pop up top" (or similar). Essentially describing my '78, which has lived its whole life in my town. I had the original owner's manual with the original owner's name in it.

Turns out it was her ex in-laws, and she was very excited. It was fun for me to hear a bit from her about it's history and how they used it for tailgating, went across the country in it a couple times, and other adventures.

The family owned a pharmacy so I stopped by one time. The original owners have long since retired, but their son owns the pharmacy. It is across the street from an office I frequent so he had seen it a few times and wondered. He was very glad I stopped by and said his parents would love to see it. (Sidenote, I haven't done that yet, I really should bring it by their house some time-with his help setting up the appointment.)

The guy who owned it between the original owners and myself, also likes the occasional update and to see that it is still being used and enjoyed.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
tony73tt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

Thanks for that story Dave. You see little things like that mean a lot to me. It's a nice thing and makes everyone involved happy. Thanks ...
tony73tt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

By the way, the kid that made my door seals comes from Germany. I can drive there in 5 hours!!!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

Glad you appreciated it.

Just be aware/prepared that you might also get a response like Skills got.

After I got my '73 up and running, I let the guy I bought it from know because as I talked to him pre-purchase I felt he was attached to it and wanted it to go to a good home.

I felt from his response that he was upset that I had installed a Vanagon motor to get it running and didn't like that I was not doing a 100% stock restoration. I figured he'd be happy it was on the road again, being enjoyed, and hauling my kids around as it had hauled his kids around.

I've done nothing crazy and don't plan any crazy changes, but his cold response has caused me to just not attempt contact any more.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

tony73tt wrote:
Because here in the good old United Kingdom we love history and also have lots of it, a lot more than you!! That's a good enough reason for you I'm sure... go and get some books on history of your kin folk, it won't take you long to read them... Razz

Our westy came to the UK from Santa Cruz with lots of history to boost. The paperwork listed the PO's name and work address, I was uncertain whether to contact him or let sleeping dogs lie. I did eventually contact him via Facebook with a few photo's - he recognised the bus and we exchanged a couple of messages. All of his photo's are packed up due to relocation, he did say to give him time to settle and he will dig his travels out and forward them on Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
tony73tt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
tony73tt wrote:

Our westy came to the UK from Santa Cruz with lots of history to boost. The paperwork listed the PO's name and work address, I was uncertain whether to contact him or let sleeping dogs lie. I did eventually contact him via Facebook with a few photo's - he recognised the bus and we exchanged a couple of messages. All of his photo's are packed up due to relocation, he did say to give him time to settle and he will dig his travels out and forward them on Very Happy

Nice story that. One from the UK as well. I'm not bothered if they don't want to know about the bus, that's fine with me, just feel it's a sort of duty to contact them. I know if it was me, I'd want to be contacted and find out how things are going with the old girl. But also not that bothered if they reject me contacting them.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

tony73tt wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:
tony73tt wrote:

Nice story that. One from the UK as well. I'm not bothered if they don't want to know about the bus, that's fine with me, just feel it's a sort of duty to contact them. I know if it was me, I'd want to be contacted and find out how things are going with the old girl. But also not that bothered if they reject me contacting them.

Now my daily driver, chasing its history doesn't bother me, although its mine, it doesn't hold the sentiment our bays do! Smile
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
...or call her: 1-856-XXX-SEXX. .

forum rules state: DON'T post people's full addresses or phone numbers without their permission

in service or not, it's really low class to post someone's phone number without their consent, knowledge, etc, no matter how "easy" it might be to find it through other sources
. how about posting yours so we can all try calling you.

Last edited by hazetguy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted contact with old owner New Jersey Reply with quote

Phone #:
Yes, I edited it out. This is a bad idea.
BTW, It's usually not a good idea to post people's full home addresses either.
I removed part of that as well.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: