Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 bus Subaru conversion.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobfarley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: 1973 bus Subaru conversion. Reply with quote

Hello all. My question is what is the difference between my 73 bus trans and and a latter model trans. I want to do the Subaru 2.5 conversion but all I can find is adapters for the later bus. Does any of you know if these adapters will fit my stock 73 trans? Thanks
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bus Subaru conversion. Reply with quote

besides the early 002 gearing is much more worse than the 091
there is a difference in the depth & inside diameter of the bellhousing and location of the starter ring..

you 'can' just swap out the bellhousing and input shaft from a 091 trans to your 002. but the motor will be topped out a bit early.. you'll still be 4000 rpms at 60mph.

search for Skills subie build for some insights to regearing the trans for your swap. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=92342
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bus Subaru conversion. Reply with quote

FWIW, when I put a 2.2 Subaru in my '91 Vanagon with an automatic I stuck with the stock gearing and was very happy with it. Once I went with larger tires, 27x8.5r14's I noticed a reduction in tractive effort/ hill pulling ability and was less than pleased so eventually when back to the stock sized tire. Not sure how all this would relate to a bay with a 2.5L and a manual though.

To me the 2.2 seemed very happy spinning fast.
Bobfarley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bus Subaru conversion. Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. After looking a little more I did find an adapter for a 091 trans. I'm fine with slowly chugging down the road so the stock gearing will be fine.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 bus Subaru conversion. Reply with quote

Bobfarley wrote:
Thanks for the info. After looking a little more I did find an adapter for a 091 trans. I'm fine with slowly chugging down the road so the stock gearing will be fine.

Then why on earth would you do all the work of putting a Subaru in there? Laughing

The gearing of the stock trans in my '73 was too short for my Vanagon motor, it is much happier when I installed the 091.

I'd think you could get it up and running and test things out and all that, but I'd recommend saving for a rebuilt/regeared transmission. You'll be much happier, I'm sure.

Edit to add to the comments about my transmissions: And the 091 isn't really tall enough for a Subaru. So the stock trans really won't work well for you long term.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing

Last edited by vwwestyman on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 bus Subaru conversion. Reply with quote

KEP has what you need

and yes, 002/091 gearing sucks. 091 will have you looking for 5th, and you will be at 3k+ at 65. not where Subaru's like to live

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: