Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What all FLAPS do you use?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hippie
Samba Tinner

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: What all FLAPS do you use? Reply with quote

It seems I only hear about Autozone on this site. What gives? I shop at Autozone too but are there Advance Auto Parts, NAPA, O' Reilly's, Carquest users too? Just curious.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autozone is the most prevalent here, plus best selection. We have Chief, Checker, and Pep Boys too.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spiffy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a schuck's ( kragen/checker ) warehouse up the street from me so I use them for a few items.

www.rivieraregistry.com
thevanillaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we're a pretty small town but have an autozone and advance, and while autozone sucks the least between the two I'd almost rather suck it up and drive 15 miles to o'reilly

Stored for 4 1/2 years and soon to be resurrected..
'67 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreign Autopart
daves_ale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got all the big chains. I goto Autozone for oil and Bosch plugs.

For everything else I go about 45 minutes South to Ft. Worth to a place called Automotive Machine and Supply. They do only imports and have 37 years exp. with VWs. I've been going there since I was 16. NOw I'm 35. These guys rock and have an 800#.

'66 Euro Beetle 1200A
'71 Single Cab
'78 Westy
'02 Jaguar XK8 convertible
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had to use all of them. Evening with the same chain, the stock varies from store to store.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthmuffin
Samba Worm Farmer

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portland Oregon.

In this order.

Discount Import parts (awesome)
Napa
Autozone
Schucks can kiss my butt. I hate them. Very Happy

Since we have moved to Longview, Wa, I foresee myself doing more Cip1. Their free shipping only takes about 3-4 days to get to me. PDX is about an hour drive now.
spiffy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIP 1 definitely rocks if you live up here, I got my CV joints in 3 days and was able to hit the road....I like schucks because I get a 10% discount on filters, moly grease and the such.

www.rivieraregistry.com
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

autozone if I know exactly what I need. napa If not. Napa rocks for old detroit iron they keep a lot of stock on hand. For VW stuff I mail order from Cali. different vendors for different stuff. I'll overnite stuff I need rite away. Prolly not a beam tho,that 'd be pricey , huh? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, I wouldn't buy anything "serious" from any of them...by that I mean anything more than oil, grease, stuff like that...After going through 3 of the Lifetime Warranty starters in less than 2 years, and hearing all sorts of horror stories for other parts there, I'd stay away...I'm luck enough to have a good foreign car parts store locally, but I try to plan and order ahead whenever I can.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hippie
Samba Tinner

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky I live close to a bunch of these. In my town auto parts stores are in several clusters about 2 miles accross and the clusters are each in different parts of town. I'm in a cluster.
I mail order almost all ACVW parts but use Advance the most for of the shelf (sealants, oil, etc.) rather than parts. (walking distance) I usually go to the dealer and cough up the $$ if I need an actual repair part for a non VW (rarely do) so I get the right one. ....Can't stand aftermarket-rebuilt-lasts 2 years if your lucky crap. O' Reilly for some specialty tools and a kick-ass paint shop that'll color scan my paint and mix anything and hand it to me in a rattle can for touch-ups.
We used to have a good locally owned foreign car parts store but they're long gone.
I can get Jerry's Bug Shop to go out back and strip me off used VW parts for a few bucks locally and they have some parts new in the box on hand.
Schmooey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose Autozone is the most widespread store, while many of those mentioned above are regional. I use a local place, Worldwide Auto, that has drawers of metric fasteners, brake nipples, wavy washers and other hard to find stuff. You don't have to wander the aisles looking at those "Help!" packages to find a brake shoe retainer, and the counter guy doesn't need to see a picture on a CRT to know what it is.
An even better one, Service Auto, recently closed. They could tell you what Ford part would replace a Triumph part without looking it up.

I bought lifetime warranty starter at Kragen that failed to work. I returned it and the counter guy tested the three he had in stock. NONE of these Malaysian "rebuilts" would turn over. I suspect they were simply sprayed with silver paint and packaged. Bought a US-made cap and rotor at Autozone that failed to fit. And so on...

For VW parts I drive a few miles to Veeparts in National City. Great people and inventory.
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within a few miles from here are Brooks Cut Rate Auto Parts, Springfield German Import, and Knechts. Brooks has a pretty huge inventory of just about everything, but a lot of it is the Empi chrome and blister pack variety. They are open Sundays though, and that has saved me once or twice. Springfield German has a good amount of quality Bosch Parts, and puts on a show/swap meet once a year. Knechts has a lot of misc. parts pretty cheap, but I don't think I would buy much there beyond fuses, light bulbs, and oil. If I can't get it from one of those places I buy it online.
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You left-coasters are lucky.
NAPA and a good local hardware store.

NAPA because it's not only all there is close by, but having worked there many moons ago, I saw the difference between Echlin ignition stuff and most others. Hell, even the Chrysler dealer sold distributor caps you could actually flex in one hand. Plus, they have a good warehouse network so most reasonable stuff is overnight. On top of that, MY NAPA is a small business and I try to support those operations while we still have them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Hippie
Samba Tinner

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmooey wrote:
An even better one, Service Auto, recently closed. They could tell you what Ford part would replace a Triumph part without looking it up.

Gotta love that. I know another air-cooled VW parts and service shop that can't tell me what VW part fits a given VW. And that's their specialty. They tried to sell me an electrical fuel gauge sender for a '64 bug...oh, and the wrong heater cables. That list gets pretty long.....
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm out of the loop.....what does FLAPS stand for?
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiningstar76 wrote:
I'm out of the loop.....what does FLAPS stand for?

FLAPS - Friendly Local Auto Parts Store/Supplier/Source

http://www.type2.com/library/misc/terms.htm#f
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mostly use a local import store as they generally have all i need in stock... only go to autozone and advance for lifetime warranty parts like brake pads and alternators/startes etc... advance pretty much sucks and has screwed me the last 3 times or more i have used them. and i really think their parts quality is not as good as autozone... i worked at both advance, autozone and pep boys... pep boys has good tires... dont really buy anything else from them as they are far away... as is napa... i rarely have to order anything off the web... oh yeah i buy parts at the vw dealer as well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hippie
Samba Tinner

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:
oh yeah i buy parts at the vw dealer as well

I went to the nearby VW dealer to try to get a generator belt for that old bug and they kind of treated me like I was bothering them. They said they could still order one though.
They do host our VW club Oktoberfest, which is cool.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: