Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Just the screws make it tampered, regardless of the number issue.

That plate would have been attached using screws originally. Only the plates on the PS side of the overhead vent were attached using rivets.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

Wow totally faked vin. The model and vin # should be embossed, Not stamped inwards. Look at this vin of Everett's
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Compared to

Last edited by EmpiGT on Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

Not a huge deal with a legit stamped vin (is it?)...but for a quarter of a million dollars... sort of.

Ps: The comments on market pricing from 5 years ago are too funny. Anyone want to wager it goes for less?
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

On a side note, looking at the two tags above when did they change the stampings on them. Like the "heizg".... ect and the weight numbers below.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

I bet they had 200 pics to choose from, and someone at BJ is regretting choosing that one to include in the ad.
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

I wonder if it is truly "no reserve" - What's the over under on 100k? From recent big auction sales it may not get there

Either way.. that bus will always be historic. I've never had more folks approach me about ~ "what my bus is worth" then after that sale. That bus took many, many, many 2,000 dollar buses off the market. In fact, I think the market is still inflated due to that sale. On another note- the vin tag and missing air cleaner bracket is shocking Shocked
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

In case you missed it: I don't think this was ever fully explained

Douglas Denlinger wrote:
I did, however, have five separate possible buyers contact me prior to the sale that declined to bid due to the M-code not matching the Birth Certifcate.

Maybe it's just the paint code difference... but with the wacky VIN plate, it really makes you wonder...
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
The stamped VIN looks legit, though. Of course, a savvy buyer would look underneath that area to verify it hasn't been massaged.
http://www.rmsothebys.com/images/lots/medium/AZ17/AZ17_r219_021.jpg

Something looks "off" but maybe I'm just a cynic

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

Was this the turkis/bluewhite deluxe bus that had a bad engine fire prior to it becoming famous?
If so, that could explain the damage to the vin plate and need for a cheesy illegal stamping.

Are there pictures of the original factory M-code plate?

If someone were to buy it on an auction description that says "Finished in correct factory colors" and then get a birth certificate showing that the correct color is the more common less desirable turkis/bluewhite combo, could they return the bus and get their ~$100k back?

If this bus gets half of what it sold for previously, will the press report that the bus market has crashed and then they all become less valuable?
(I like to dream about such things)
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

If someone were to buy it on an auction description that says "Finished in correct factory colors" and then get a birth certificate showing that the correct color is the more common less desirable turkis/bluewhite combo, could they return the bus and get their ~$100k back?

Loophole worthy.

It would specifically say " Finished in IT"S correct factory colors" were it the actual color it left the factory in.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

tyzel wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Z wrote:
easy e wrote:
Looks like a hammer VIN flat & re-stamp job.
Wasn't expecting that on such a bus.

Shocked

That is a tampered VIN. Dont drive that in NY.

Agreed, you can clearly see the numbers been re stamped over different numbers. Wow Shocked

This is an original 23 window right? Or Was this a 15 to start and someone had an m plate and title for a 23?

You can almost make out the original embossed numbers if you color invert the image in Photoshop:

My guess is originally Typ 25 or 26 (definitely a curved digit at the bottom of the stamped "4" in Typ, VIN # 10XX821
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Was this the turkis/bluewhite deluxe bus that had a bad engine fire prior to it becoming famous?
If so, that could explain the damage to the vin plate and need for a cheesy illegal stamping.

Are there pictures of the original factory M-code plate?

If this bus gets half of what it sold for previously, will the press report that the bus market has crashed and then they all become less valuable?
(I like to dream about such things)

I thought this bus was a legit MG 23.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

turkis-deluxe wrote:
Lind wrote:
I thought this bus was a legit MG 23.

I heard it was turkis from the factory. I don't know if it is true or not. Same with the fire damage. For anything north of $20k, I would want to see an original M-code plate, a birth certificate and some pre-restoration photos. I know that is not how auctions work for buyers or sellers. Actual provenance or a truthful description are far too much to ask for a measly six figure car.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5401198&highlight=blw#5401198
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

Yes.

My post up above:
Quote:
I know this Bus was burned in the rear before it was restored, maybe the VIN plate was lost and that was the solution? Weird.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecabmel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

Everett, will you be stopping by RM? I'll be there. My # is around $75 on this bus (including premium)
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

RM Auctions wrote:
Lot 168
1963 Volkswagen '23-Window' Deluxe Microbus
Please note that lot 168 has been withdrawn from the sale.

Wonder if the fake VIN plate was the reason for the pull
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

Thought I would add the vin pics to the gallery before RM pulled them

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

Hmmmm, maybe. Or sold outside the auction. I wonder though - Does that happen? I would guess Yes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

I thought arizona DMV was pretty strict on vin tags on the high dollar auctions. Maybe the pre inspection caught it.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: David Navarez 1963 23-Window @ VW Classic / Barrett-Jackson Reply with quote

Sketchy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: