Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! (March 2017)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! (March 2017) Reply with quote

Just got home from another great Baja trip. This time we had 6 Vanagons and a Eurovan all joining up in San Diego from Alberta, Washington, Arizona, and California. We had aircooled, diesel, wbx, Subaru, including 3 Syncros. Many of us had never met before and I think we all parted as friends after a great time together.

Every year thousands of grey whales travel from near Alaska down to Baja to give birth and make new whales Jan-April. For some years now I have been taking groups of VW vans down there for a week of camping fun including a visit to the whales.

Here is a short video compilation of what we did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is5uFmcDOzA

Fun times!

This below is a photo of sunrise at one of our camps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mark
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Great video! What a good time it looks like you all had. Cheers!
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! Reply with quote

Wow, Mark, just-wow! The scenery, the ocean, the whale, even the coyote! Gotta get down there sometime...

Thanks for sharing!
kryptkat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! Reply with quote

Good stuff Mark. Wish we were there. One of these days we're going to join you.
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! Reply with quote

Wow! That's awesome! I'd love to do that some year. Baja in a van has definitely been on my bucket list for a while.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! Reply with quote

Thanks!

One of these days.......

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! Reply with quote

You are welcome Larry. The whale in the video is a baby and the huge mother was right there too, bigger than the boat. The mothers sometimes push their shy babies over to the boats so the people in the boats can reach out and touch them and that happened to us a few times this trip. Some of the mothers want to be touched as well. Seems strange for wild animals to act this way. Most of the whales just go about their business but some clearly enjoy us as much as we enjoy them.

We kayak fished in the late afternoons and caught enough for dinner no problem. The scraps went into the water and the next morning a coyote came at dawn to try to get them. It waded into the water 50 feet from us and when it couldn't quite reach them it waited nearby for the tide to go out and then it came back to grab them.

We drove about 1300 miles in Mexico. No big van problems. One van hit a bad bump at a wash and broke a shock but kept on. Another had a noise come and go that I think was a worn CV but not sure. One of the wbx vans would occasionally stumble but not often enough to be a real problem. Everywhere we went people wanted to talk about our vans. When we were stopped at gas stations other cars would pull over and take photos of us. VW vans are cool, even to Mexicans.

Mark

WLD*WSTY wrote:
Wow, Mark, just-wow! The scenery, the ocean, the whale, even the coyote! Gotta get down there sometime...

Thanks for sharing!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Thanks!

One of these days.......

Same here. Gotta do this.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:
Wow! That's awesome! I'd love to do that some year. Baja in a van has definitely been on my bucket list for a while.

Just ordered my Baja Almanac to start the planning with.
I'll wave and honk as I drive past your house on the way down! Wink

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! Reply with quote

This is awesome. I wanted to meet up with you guys but we'll miss you by a few weeks. We are getting reading to head that way and meet some friends on their way back up from down south. Any recommendations on places to go/see? We are driving down to La Paz and then working our way back up.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
VW vans are cool, even to Mexicans.

Mark

Cool Cool Cool Cool awesome another successful trip! Still grateful for my trip down with you guys years back.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! Reply with quote

A few weeks in Baja is a must for any Vanagon, (Or just van-life) enthusiast. A truly Unique place. I strongly recommend.

It might even convince a few Nomads to make the great southerly trek. Twisted Evil

Next time you guys make a Baja run I might tag along in my new rig. Very Happy I know this great fish taco stand...
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! Reply with quote

My wife and I were one of the 7 vans. I want to go back again and spend more time there.
The roads are great until they turn in to dirt or washboard. The people are great and the sites are amazing.
Asides from breaking a front shock on the first leg of the trip, everything worked well.
Thanks to CrazyVwman for organizing the trip and knowing when to stop and where to go.
On the drive to see the whales we stopped in a picturesque town which looked like something from a movie.
I will try and post a few of my photos later.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroPedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! Reply with quote

Great video and it looked like a great trip! As someone else said, the Mexico coast in a van has been on my bucket list for a long time. I need to make it happen...
Satch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! Reply with quote

Glad everyone enjoyed the trip. I was jealous hearing you all talk about going on the trip during the last SD van meet up. Maybe next year...

Great video! Go Buttercup... Air-cooled for life!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! Reply with quote

It is whale season again in Baja!!! I'm going again myself in March. Last year we had 7 vans. Not sure how many this time yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is5uFmcDOzA

Mark
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 7 vans in Baja 7 days, friendly whales too! Reply with quote

We went with Mark for the 2013 whale trip... it was great... due to time constraint we missed the one in 2016 but we went by ourselves...

Mark's van in front of caravan

the morning after roadside camping due to rain

bonfire at La Gringa

camping at La Gringa

a storm caught us by surprise

a fellow and wife on their way to La Paz

a very nice fully restored Syncro on their way to La Paz too..

our vans at beach camping
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: