Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Lower Ball joint puller (on-car) Home made tool
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Syncro Lower Ball joint puller (on-car) Home made tool Reply with quote

I made another tool. It pushes the Lower Ball Joint out (LBJ) of a Syncro with the cast arms.
I don't know if it will fit the "other" style of Syncro LCA.
I don't know if it will fit the 2WD. EDIT: Does NOT fit 2WD

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Spray area with penetrating oil prior. Several days prior is best. Pry off this circlip & don't lose it. New LBJs do not include this clip, and I hear they are NLA.

Ready to push. Tool fits on the (cast version, 1990 Syncro) Lower Control Arm (LCA) with the arm installed on the van. I don't know if it fits the stamped/welded version. I don't know if it fits the 2wd LCA.

View from the underside (cast LCA, 1990).

It's made from a 2 1/2" schedule40 pipe.
Slit, and spread about 0.4" by poundijng a chisel into the gap. It results in an OD appx 3 1/16".
A "plug" welded into the slit holds it apart at the 3 1/16" diameter.

There are some cutaways to clear the ribs in the underside of the cast Syncro Lower Control Arm (LCA).

"Standard Tool" is part of this Harbor Freight Bearing puller set.

======= INSTALLING THE NEW BALL JOINT ========

A 3 1/2" section of 2 inch electrical conduit.

Tightening the (greased) nuts pushing the conduit down, pressing the balljoint into its bore

Ready to go! Grease zerk modification is described in THIS THREAD.

Incidentally, it also fits in this location as a bushing to press the Syncro Front Wheel bearing out. You will need other components (all-thread rod & spacers etc) to push the bearing out but this is your bushing.

Anyway that's how it can be done if a guy has a shop and can build tools. Here's another homemade Syncro tool: Syncro Tool - Front Axle press (trail tool)
There are lots of ways to build this tool, and if you see pics of one way it helps to understand. And then you can decide how to do it 'your way'. Wink Hope it helps.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Lower Ball joint puller (on-car) Home made tool Reply with quote

Sodo- the LBJ "safety" clips are available through chris at T3 techniques. Just installed them on mine and they fit perfect
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Lower Ball joint puller (on-car) Home made tool Reply with quote

Wow, you are fast becoming the ultimate "guerrilla tool maker" for the Syncro!!!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Lower Ball joint puller (on-car) Home made tool Reply with quote

Love it! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Lower Ball joint puller (on-car) Home made tool Reply with quote

Thanks Doug, Dave. But you guys are easy, (....tool nuts.) Cool Cool Laughing

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Lower Ball joint puller (on-car) Home made tool Reply with quote

Innovative tool. For information, I am pretty sure the lower ball joint is pressed into the spindle housing of the 2WD, so I don't believe your tool will work with 2 WD vanagons. Thanks for sharing.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Lower Ball joint puller (on-car) Home made tool Reply with quote

Good stuff as always, Sodo! Mark is correct about the 2wd ball joint. You'd probably have to make a separate set of adapters. Conceptually though, this idea is fantastic! Particularly for folks who rarely have a use for or can't devote the shop space to a large press. Also the portability/on-car/roadside repair factor is cool.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Lower Ball joint puller (on-car) Home made tool Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin. I think of other Samba members faced with this job, and they wonder about what tool might work in lieu of a hydraulic press. Or doing it "on-van" seems like a valid desire. Seeing a tool that works helps to understand what needs to be done.

I have a hydraulic press, I'm just doing this for sport - to make something that "seems useful", like a "prepper". Laughing Laughing The fact that it's only fits the cast arm Syncro takes it back a notch dangit. I'm procrastinating deciding which shocks to buy so it serves as a distraction. Shocks are standing in the way of putting this van back together.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: