Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

I have moveable lights on my EV. They shine where I want them too. It's the best option you can get.
http://www.caltelephone.com/lamps/Coal_King_soft_cap_and_Justrite.jpg
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

@jjvincent those moveable lights look great, but I'm guessing they are NLA.

Would love to know if you've got any purchasing source recommendations for this route:

jjvincent wrote:
The EV is just an always on. Pretty much like a MKIV VW where when you pull the E-Brake they go off. Other than that, they are always on. They are not low voltage or dimmed at all. I pulled my relay when I got my EV but then went the Euro switch, Euro headlights, city lights and rear fog route.

It seems like that might be the best way to go (given some assumptions about how the switch works).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

Problem with the MKIV is that when you are on the highway and going over the speed limit and then see a cop. Traditionally, I would push in the clutch and use the handbrake to slow down. Trying to be as stealth as possible. That ain't happening with the MKIV.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

I used that technique too sometimes, back in my young-lad-with-a-GTI days. Wink But then there was that one time I blew by a CHP and wasn't paying attention -- literally passed him while I was in the fast lane, driving at some speed he, um... apparently didn't approve of. I don't think the clutch-and-hand-brake thing would have helped much on that one. Couldn't talk my way out of it, either. Cop: Shame on you Me: Embarassed Ah, youth.

What's the MKIV do? Does the hand brake kill the headlights, like it does in the EV?

All that fun said, I probably quoted too much. I'm interested in replacement EV headlights (2001-2003) that have true, separate daytime running lights, and also (if possible) the ability to turn even those off for just straight parking lights. Any advice one where one buy the former, and does the "Euro switch" you mention allow the latter?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

Quote:
What's the MKIV do? Does the hand brake kill the headlights, like it does in the EV?
Yes.

As for the headlights. I bought the Euro switch and pulled the DRL relay. Thus it works like an old timer car where you want parking lights, first click. want headlights, go to the next click.

This is what I got in my EV right now for headlights. It has angel eyes but they only come on with the parking lights and headlights.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

It sucks when you are camping near friends and want to say.....crack a window or anything else with the key in the on position. It's impossible to not have the lights on, even with the ebrake up.

Also - I've wanted to run the engine to help charge the aux battery when camping at music festivals......solution is to just pull the fuse for the lights.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

visibleink wrote:
It sucks when you are camping near friends and want to say.....crack a window or anything else with the key in the on position. It's impossible to not have the lights on, even with the ebrake up.

Also - I've wanted to run the engine to help charge the aux battery when camping at music festivals......solution is to just pull the fuse for the lights.

If your e-brake isn't shutting off the lights then you have a problem.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
visibleink wrote:

...and the problem is that little switch down at the ebrake has probably flown apart...
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Xtremjeepn wrote:
visibleink wrote:

...and the problem is that little switch down at the ebrake has probably flown apart...

Very Happy Thanks I'll check that out!

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: