Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why does it stall?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thorgrimnr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Why does it stall? Reply with quote

I have a 1969 Bus, and I have a problem with it stalling and would appreciate
anyones help as to what the problem is.

Here's the scenario...

The bus will start and idle on flat road conditions. It will run beautifully
and all the electronics are working. The lights aren't dim, the radio works...
It does however stall under 3 specific condiotions:
1) After the bus has been running on the road long enough for me to actually
get it up into 4th, it will STALL OUT 90% of the time when I gear down from
4th, 3rd, second, neutral and........crap out now.

2) I am driving down a hill and need to come to a stop..gearing down from
3rd, 2nd, neutral and.......crap out now....100% of the time

3) The bus has been running for oh I don't know 30-45 minutes (the road conditions are a flat highway and I've just taken an exit ramp and now need to stop) and I'll gear down, 4th 3rd 2nd neutral and.....crap out now.
This is likely to happen 15% of the time.

I am mechanicaly challenged but am learning, have the Muir book and an excellent VW mechanic.

Why is it doing this? The mechanic thought the idle was too slow for summer conditions and adjusted the carb a bit with two external screws...
idle control and gas/air mixture I assume.... anyways, it didn't fix it...

Anybody got the answer?
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ruled out a vacuum leak? You already have the Muir book so there are some procedures in there you could check to isolate such a leak. I would check this before fiddling with the carb. Good luck.
flat4freak1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

instead of downshifting just put your bus in neutral and use your brakes to slow down, its much cheaper that reaplacing you clutch or engine from over revving it downshifting.

just
my .02

good luck bud.

justin
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had the same problem on my bus. Actually a number of problems, which I just fixed.

It may be a vacuum leak like Mark said, but how to troubleshoot? I found that my problem was a combination of things and none of them were too difficult to troubleshoot.

It may be the vacuum advance tube. Thats a large 3/4 inch tube coming from the manifold just below your carbuerator and going through the firewall toward the gas tank. There is a small one way valve in the middle near your coil. Take that out and blow through it, its one way and has an arrow pointing toward the carbuerator and should not go in the other direction.

It may be a leak in your Carb. You can either buy a rebuild kit for a couple dollars and replace all the seals and put it back in, or you could first check to see the bolts holding it down to the manifold are tight which is where it leaks all the time.

It could also be the vacuum retard unit which you may or may not have stuck on your carb. if you did it would be a piece with a tube stuck to your carb and a small UFO looking object with a rod coming out of it attaching itself to the accellerator lever.

I have a couple other things it could be, but those were the main ones on my bus. Once I fixed those, all problems ended.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: