Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Breather
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Oil Breather Reply with quote

I have a breather hose with a small filter on top of the oil fill tube. Is this sufficient? I am leaking oil out of the dipstick and thought this could be the problem...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

Sounds like you have excessive internal pressure. You need to investigate why you have it (maybe bad rings). Adding valve cover vents will help.

Maybe it's just overfilled. Think

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

For a time I tried a breather box with a small filter on top, it was ok around town but with extended highway driving I would get oil coming out places it shouldn't. I suspect it works better with that little bit of suction from being hooked to a stock air cleaner. I eventually put on an older style oil fill with the draft tube going down through the tin, and hooked the hose to my right side air filter. This arrangement has been working really well, and it's simple.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

I took the breather filter off to see if that helped.it didn't.
Oil is not overfilled. There is a pressure gauge inline and an oil cooler behind the back seat..
Still playing around with it. Not sure what else to check. The oil breather goes right into the oil fill. Seems to be an empi thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

ALANSD wrote:
Seems to be an empi thing
Some of the aftermarket oil filler/breather setups offer too much restriction to the flow of the crankcase gasses and will cause oil to blow out everywhere.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

which breather "box" seems to be the best one to use?
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

I have a weber carb with chrome rectangular filter. A hole at the bottom rear that could get a hose in it. If I run the hose from the present oil breather would it do me any good?
There are no hole or connections on the valve covers.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

found a breather box in my spare parts bin. I guess I am gonna try this first, drill the valve covers and add some vents. Hoses to the breather box and carb.
Read up on the Krankvents, they look great but $150 a pair for fair weather driver, not practical.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

I ordered the valve cover vent. After reading a ton of posts here and all the opinions on breathers and valve cover vents I guess
I am going to drill the front end of the 1,2 cover. Insert the vent, use some sealant to be sure it doesn't leak.
Attach it to a hose which leads to the breather box.. Run another hose to the air cleaner, or forget the air cleaner hose all together and just use the box.
There are like a million opinions n the Samba....

I also read a post somewhere here, that said using certain oil types are no good. Like diesel oil, too heavy weight oil , too light. What is the recommended oil for mild winter use? Straight 30w?
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

I am ready to install the breather and connect a fitting to the valve cover. Is it best to connect to the 3,4 or the 1,2 side? Then I will connect to the air filter as well.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

Just the 1/2 side valve cover and weld/braze in the tube/fitting otherwise it will leak at the valve cover.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

Thanks
Solomon Grundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

Here was an idea some local boy had.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

| _______
| |_______| '73 Thing "481"
| _\_\_|_/_/_
| |O||_4_||O|
| [ ]=====[ ]
http://vwthingregistry.com
https://doublecabshaka.wordpress.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

Now that's a breather, the Dolly Parton of breathers
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

still trying to get to this job. I have the breather box, hose and valve cover inserts. Since I don't weld ( no equipment), what else can I do to install the breather vent in the valve cover.? How about JB Weld? to seal it once inserted in the drilled hole.
Yea or Nay?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

You could silver solder them in. Clean the area to bare metal, drill a hole in the valve cover about 1/2 (or less) than the diameter of the nipples. Now use a small tappered punch to enlarge the hole to the size of the nipple (this should turn the edges of the hole giving more contact area. Now using a pencil torch, silver solder, and good soldering practice, solder the nipple in place.

But before you do anything, read Ham Inc's post in this thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5642689
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

I don't think JB Weld would last it may crack. I just use O rings on mine and make sure they are not too tight and not too loose. You might try to find some thicker rubber washers than O rings. I drilled and mounted them on the forward side near the top of each valve cover, I have aluminum ones so it is pretty flat there.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

Just a thought on JB Weld. We used it in the shop to repair cracks on the block were the oil pressure switch is installed. Cleaned it Very well and never had any leaks or problems. This was on Race engines that got very hot. Have also seen it used on cracks in blocks and outdrive fins that hit the bottom and rocks and never broke. The stuff is strong. The prep of the surface is a must. I keep several tubes on hand at all times, don't use the fast cure stuff.
GB.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

Ive been impressed with JB Weld whenever I have used it.
I have their quick weld though, it stinks. Seems to come off too easily.

I could try that solder method as well, sounds like a winner.
I have a neighbor who welds , could possibly get him to weld these in, but I have been waiting a long time for him to finish my roll bar. He is one busy guy.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Breather Reply with quote

ALANSD wrote:
Ive been impressed with JB Weld whenever I have used it.
I have their quick weld though, it stinks. Seems to come off too easily.

I could try that solder method as well, sounds like a winner.
I have a neighbor who welds , could possibly get him to weld these in, but I have been waiting a long time for him to finish my roll bar. He is one busy guy.
If you know someone with an OXY-ACT torch they can braze it for you in just a couple of minutes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: