Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jpineau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

I have some leaky vacuum lines, and a throttle actuator that need to be rebuilt or replaced. Not sure about the vacuum pump itself.

Does it make sense to fix the stock cruise? If so, where to I get the parts? Or should I just replace it with the GW system or something similar?

Thanks!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

Vanagon CC is a very robust system which makes freeway trips much more pleasant, so I strongly suggest you fix what you have. The good thing is that the parts are shared with lots of the same era VAG vehicles, so you shouldn't have to look too hard to find anything required to get it up and running again.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jpineau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

I did look at all the common vendors that I know of.. All I can find is the switches that go under the pedals.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

jpineau wrote:
I did look at all the common vendors that I know of.. All I can find is the switches that go under the pedals.

Leaky valves or misadjustment is the #1 cause of cruise not working. I woud just fix what you have The actuator arm is available at Van-Cafe and the bulb is a common part, probably still a dealer item, but I woudl grab one from the junkyard. They were one Volvos, Mercedes and VWs. I have a spare if you don't have a junkyard nearby. The pump is probably fine, but I have one of those too. I imagine anything you need is in the classifieds.

There are good troubleshhoting threads on the cruise system and the Bentley procedure for testing component is great.
jpineau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

Thanks Dave! I will dig a bit locally and see if I can come up with a bulb.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

As mentioned, the brake/clutch vacuum valves are the primary failure points for the system. I've had good luck taking them apart and then cleaning and re-lubing with silicone grease.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jpineau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

I did test those. Both needed the electrical connections cleaned and one of them needed to be re-lubed. Both test out fine now.

I hooked my vacuum tester to the throttle actuator and it leaks like crazy. I also checked the main line that runs up front and it leaks slowly. Raining here today, so I'll get under the van and find the source of that leak when it drys up.
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

If your vacuum switches or the line going to them are leaking you can simply plug the vacuum line by the pump. The switches are redundant (in a good way) and the electrical half will still disconnect the CC. Maybe not ideal, but the system works fine that way.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

Usually best to fix the OEM unit.

I installed a Rostra, I'm not thrilled with it at all.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpineau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

The bellows in the throttle actuator has a hole in it. Otherwise it seems fine. Is patching it with a bicycle inter tube kit a great idea or a horrible idea?
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

jpineau wrote:
The bellows in the throttle actuator has a hole in it. Otherwise it seems fine. Is patching it with a bicycle inter tube kit a great idea or a horrible idea?

The bellow was also used in the P38 range Rover cruise control. There are many many Range Rover from 94 to 01 in the breaking yard as they are no longer worth spending money to fix, the resale value of the car is so low. The cost is $4 at my local Pick N Pull.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

I agree with all posted, disconnecting the vacuum line is great to determine that the switches are bad (replace or rebuild) as you see fit.
I have also installed a Rostra unit with mixed results. Not an ideal specimen, a 1.9 auto Westy.
As stated the bellows are used on many European cars for more then just cruise, Audi uses them for cam actuators.
I have seen these systems not work because the plugs for the Brake Fluid and the VSS were switched.
I have installed factory units from scratch and they work so well with a little tweaking.
Get out the Bentley manual and follow their flowchart and you to will have a working cruise system.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

I also have a Rostra unit and am unimpressed. Has anyone here ever tried to install a factory CC in a non CC equipped van?

89 Syncro - Juniper Mackenzie

09 Honda Fit - Finnie
17 Ram ProMaster - John Hordle
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

I have done numerous, the biggest issue is getting all of the little pieces.

The harness is fairly easy to make, The pump and Vacuum pod are universal, but there are specific bracket and linkage . The ECU for 2WD is specific, but the ECU for 4WD is the same as any front drive VW. You can buy new switches but you need the brackets or just buy the GW replacements. The biggest issue is the stalk which is specific, but you can use a Jetta or Cabriolet switch but are bent differently.

With a small amount of effort you can put together a system for about $75.00 - $200.00.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

If anyone needs the speed signal sender that mounts on the back of the speedometer, I have one that I'd be happy to sell.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

Those vacuum switches get tired and cause problems. On my vanagon I rebuilt the switch a couple of years ago and it failed, leaking vcuum again.

Easy fix for $30 on on the bay. See the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131537909630
jpineau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

Followed the Bentley flow chart and everything checks out. The pump turns on, but it doesn't have much pull. I'm guessing it's time for a new pump. Any suggestions on source?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

If you do need a pump you'll probably want to buy a used one. New ones are like $250 and they are a dime a dozen at the junkyard or in the classifieds. The only downside is you don't know if it will be better than yours. When yours runs does it not pull the throttle back? Did you block the lines to the front when you tested it to make sure it isn't a vacuum leak? If you suck on that engagement arm vacuum tube, you will see how little vacuum is required. There is probably a way to open the pump and lube it or look for issues. I woudl think if it is running, it probably is o.k. but what makes you think the pump is too weak?
jpineau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

It wont pull the throttle back nor will it hold it in position if I pull it back. No vacuum leaks (anymore). I can hook my brake bleeder up to it and pull the throttle back with vacuum easily.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Cruise Control - fix or replace? Reply with quote

Can you post a pic of the pump? Does yours have that small hose intact that attaches to the vacuum nipple and behind the back of the pump? If that hose is not intact it won't produce vacuum correctly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: