Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full Westy shelf in a Weekender?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Full Westy shelf in a Weekender? Reply with quote

Has any one put a full Westy left side shelf in a pop top Weekender / Multivan?

For those who do not know, the Westy has a niffy shelf over the kitchen. The Weekender / Multivan has something similar but has no shelf.

The Westy one is shorter, too. What is interesting is the upper bed is different too. It is not as long, I noticed. Strange.

I got a shelf from a 1990 full Westy to use in my 1990 Multivan and there are differences that require some work to fit.

Any body done this conversion?????

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: westy shelf Reply with quote

Are you talking about the curtain shelf ? The week-ender has spacers to make up the differebce in length. I have this spacer if your interersted
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Westy shelf in a Weekender? Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Has any one put a full Westy left side shelf in a pop top Weekender / Multivan?

For those who do not know, the Westy has a niffy shelf over the kitchen. The Weekender / Multivan has something similar but has no shelf.

The Westy one is shorter, too. What is interesting is the upper bed is different too. It is not as long, I noticed. Strange.

I miss that shelf from my "full" Westy in my Weekender. It's where the sun cream, windshield curtain, toothpaste and misc stuff sat.

I too picked up a shelf, knowing it is still going to be short (I stopped myself from picking up a 2nd one to piece to the 1st). I have not played with it yet. What ever I do, I want to be able to put the van back to stock if desired.

The bed is shorter??? Are you sure? I had full and weekender and at 6'2", I think I would notice if it was shorter.

John
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh...I didn't know that either. I have not done that conversion, but I have one of each here (both 1990s) so if you need measurements/photos I can help.

RonC
Fishguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at the profile of mine. Looks like an eave trough on the roof of my house. Maybe check out Home Depot for something that would work?
MR GAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went the other way (westy to weekender) and wanted to keep the shelf. so here is what i did. found a donor shelf and added a piece to mine. BTW i still have the rest of the donor with the front end piece. Brown Vanagon

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early and late are different. I think the break point is 84 - late 85.

The cut out for the bed reinforcement is off. You have to cut or extend the notch. At least for the one I have. It is not much but it is in terms of a few inches or so.

I have the shelf laying in my van and will measure and maybe post pictures later.

I am glad others know what on earth I am referring too!!!!

I would LOVE to purchase an extension section if I can. Hint, hint...

Anybody know where to get the curtain track so there is no hangup when you pull the curtain???

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: curtain rail Reply with quote

The curtains hang up because there is a slight dent or nick in the channel the the nylon hangers travel on. Or one or more of the small screws that hold the channel up in place are working their way down and intefering with travel. Look closley as the little nicks are hard to see.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: curtain rail Reply with quote

DLJ wrote:
The curtains hang up because there is a slight dent or nick in the channel the the nylon hangers travel on. Or one or more of the small screws that hold the channel up in place are working their way down and intefering with travel. Look closley as the little nicks are hard to see.

Sure.

I need track to make a longer on for the Westy shelf.

Where do I buy NEW track????

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
r39o wrote:
What is interesting is the upper bed is different too. It is not as long, I noticed. Strange.

The bed is shorter??? Are you sure?

snowsyncro wrote:
Huh...I didn't know that either.

I AM WRONG! Bed NOT shorter.

I measured it all this morning. The roof cutout and is all the same in the important areas.

What is different is the length of the Westy shelf compared to the Weekender.

BASICALLY:

The Westy shelf is about 2 inches shorter in the front.

The Westy shelf is about 5 -6 inches shorter in the rear.

Anybody have a LATE Westy shelf I can buy the rear 6 inches of missing profile?????

ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Westy shelf in a Weekender? Reply with quote

Anyone have more photos of this mod for Weekenders completed? Worth the trouble? Thoughts?
bamagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Full Westy shelf in a Weekender? Reply with quote

What would be required to make either of these shelves work in a tin top? I'd love to have a storage shelf like this for camping in my carat.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Westy shelf in a Weekender? Reply with quote

you need the length of galvanized J-channel that is riveted to the roof/side wall
plus the wooden end by the drivers head. or you can fabricate an end.
as you'll have to fabricate a rear one anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: