Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bitchin' Rides bus restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

thom wrote:
Does anyone over the age of 12 still use the adjective "bitchin'" in any context other than sarcasm or parody?

they are in Utah right? Yes, I think they still use that word there, it's on the verge of cussing. My adult cousins that grew up in a very first southern baptist church family use it. They also drink a lot of soda pop
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
thom wrote:
Does anyone over the age of 12 still use the adjective "bitchin'" in any context other than sarcasm or parody?

they are in Utah right? Yes, I think they still use that word there, it's on the verge of cussing. My adult cousins that grew up in a very first southern baptist church family use it. They also drink a lot of soda pop

they would not be drinking any coke in utah that's for sure

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
i like the bus okay.
Just everybody remember at an auction you have to have at least 2 bidders to get to those kinds of prices. somebody else bid 274k before 275k got the nod.

greetings from atlanta

It appears as if Velocity bid it up against someone with deep pockets and zero common sense. If it were two regular people with lots of money, I'd be surprised.

Reminds me of a Hot Wheels "customizer" I sold on ebay about 10 years ago. It sold for $800, when other auctions of the EXACT SAME product were selling at around $50. After it was over, the parents of the kid who was bidding on it contacted me to see if I would take less. When I discovered the other bidder was also a kid (who had already contacted me to tell me I was a jerk for letting the bid go that high), I told the parents no, it was a binding contract and that's what they owed me. After fighting about it, they ended up paying in full. It's not my fault the kid was stupid. I hope he enjoyed the $50 item.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Erik G wrote:
thom wrote:

thats a myth, LDS members can drink caffeine including Pepsi and Coke, and still be in good standing. That changed in the 90's?

but for sure, squirt, ramblin rootbeer, orange and grape were more popular. May still be

Personally, I prefer RC Cola and Cherry RC cola at that, but I havent had a soda is years. It's bad for you. I do like a root beer with pizza...
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
mandraks wrote:
Erik G wrote:

thats a myth, LDS members can drink caffeine including Pepsi and Coke, and still be in good standing. That changed in the 90's?

good point, have not been since the late 80s

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
mandraks wrote:
i like the bus okay.
Just everybody remember at an auction you have to have at least 2 bidders to get to those kinds of prices. somebody else bid 274k before 275k got the nod.

greetings from atlanta

It appears as if Velocity bid it up against someone with deep pockets and zero common sense. If it were two regular people with lots of money, I'd be surprised.

Isn't "Velocity" the actual seller, or at least the party that sponsored the show/build? That sounds an awful like shill bidding to me.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecabmel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

As much as I hate destroying an original vw, I am happy to see that it broke the bank. With peoples increased awareness hopefully more of our beloved VWs will be saved. I don't see it as a bad thing
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

doublecabmel wrote:
As much as I hate destroying an original vw, I am happy to see that it broke the bank. With peoples increased awareness hopefully more of our beloved VWs will be saved. I don't see it as a bad thing

Except now that POS in someone's back yard went from being a $500 find to a $50,000 find.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

thom wrote:
doublecabmel wrote:

Except now that POS in someone's back yard went from being a $500 find to a $50,000 find.

The only positive to come from this is that the builder didn't end up selling their vehicles for 25%-50% of what they had invested in building them.

There is a very tiny percentage that realize the cost involved in a restoration, or mild customization at the highest levels. Like mentioned, the $300k bid is only going to inflate the ignorant asking prices of project vehicles that have already reached ridiculous amounts in some cases. This is also going to separate the hobby into the have, and have nots even further than it is already. It's great for the seller, but overall bad for the enthusiast/hobby.

Oh, and most likely one of the originators of "bitchin", Gene Winfield, was still using it Sunday when he was chopping a 41 Ford at age 89 during the Pittsburgh World of Wheels car show.
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

I will say that there's value for a completed car done to a nice level (no, I'm not saying 275k).
What I am saying is that it's pretty silly to see ads for cars that are completely blown apart, issues everywhere, missing half that parts now, but are asking 'all the money' for them. Basically looking for someone to bail them out.
Do they not realize that now they've isolated themselves to someone looking to do a full restoration only, and not enjoy the car for years to come?
But hey, since they've added some aftermarket repair panels, it totally justifies the price Laughing
Maybe that's part of the value of these auctions? Enjoy it now, and someone will probably finance it for you too.
panic_fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

for that much dough, you would think the brake lights would work.
Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291988&highlight=

"Still learnin the way around my VW bay"
Teal Bay Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

panic_fan wrote:
Laughing

Agreed, but given the amount of time most of us have spent to get that one damn light here or there to consistently work, I understand how that happens.

I'd bet it worked at some point before they called it 'done', then stopped working again because 50 year old lights just enjoy messing with you.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

Z wrote:
panic_fan wrote:
Laughing

Agreed, but given the amount of time most of us have spent to get that one damn light here or there to consistently work, I understand how that happens.

I'd bet it worked at some point before they called it 'done', then stopped working again because 50 year old lights just enjoy messing with you.

We noticed close to a dozen cars with a brake light out during that sale, freaky coincedence?, or was it the same awkward guy who drove all of them up and bumped the signal switch turning off the engine when it got to the block?

(Yes I know the brake lights shouldn't work on a VW when it's shut off, but I'd be very suprised if that bus didn't have one of those aftermarket hot rod harnesses in it)

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

Just watched the "Bitchin Rides" episode that featured this build and I have a couple questions for the experts about the conversion that was done to make it a "21 window".

I was really lucky and got a beautiful rust free and original 1967 21 window deluxe back in the mid 80's. It replaced my first bus, a '64 standard after that one was smashed by a drunk. (unfortunately I wasn't into taking pictures of cars back then so I have no photos to share) ((I later traded that bus for a Saab, big mistake!))

My questions:
I remember that the deluxe had a belly pan that the '64 lacked. Was this a reinforcement to stiffen the body because of the large opening for the sunroof?
It looked like the "Bitchin" build did not have this pan. Will this cause problems for the poor guy who paid so much for that fake 21? (I'm thinking cracked Bondo on those panels!)

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
I remember that the deluxe had a belly pan that the '64 lacked. Was this a reinforcement to stiffen the body because of the large opening for the sunroof?

Precisely.
OP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

As the saying goes...."One born everyday" Laughing Some of the work was shocking yet sold for silly money for a custom bus Confused
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

It astonishes me how much money that incorrect bus went for. I wonder if the buyer is going to ever find out how much he wasted just to have a bus put together by Dave Kindig? Obviously can't call it restored, because there are so many things wrong on that bus, and I'm sure new things will crop up. I wonder if one of us will ever see it "in the wild?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
It astonishes me how much money that incorrect bus went for. I wonder if the buyer is going to ever find out how much he wasted just to have a bus put together by Dave Kindig? Obviously can't call it restored, because there are so many things wrong on that bus, and I'm sure new things will crop up. I wonder if one of us will ever see it "in the wild?"

I wouldn't quite call it "incorrect", and what is your definition of "restored"?

If it was stock in every single aspect with the additional windows, then yeah, you could call it incorrect. Since it has so many modifications/retrofits, I don't see any indication where the builder was going for an OEM restoration.

And is "restored", restored back to exact OEM specs., or simply restored back to running, and driving condition? BJ is the one always using the word "restomod" which you could interpret as a restored vehicle with modern amenities, or modifications.

In 20-30 years people will be buying up the OEM restorations, cutting them up into customs because the market will have fallen off for factory correct vehicles. Kind of like the present day buying a perfectly nice older OEM restoration of a Model A for $2500, dropping in a modern driveline/chopping the top, and selling it for $30k.

I'm involved with building, and appreciate/respect OEM concours restorations. My bus would be somewhat stock appearing, lowered with a 2234/2287 stroker so I could drive it more than 40mph up a PA hill.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
peecee69 wrote:

I wouldn't quite call it "incorrect", and what is your definition of "restored"?

If it was stock in every single aspect with the additional windows, then yeah, you could call it incorrect. Since it has so many modifications/retrofits, I don't see any indication where the builder was going for an OEM restoration.

And is "restored", restored back to exact OEM specs., or simply restored back to running, and driving condition? BJ is the one always using the word "restomod" which you could interpret as a restored vehicle with modern amenities, or modifications.

In 20-30 years people will be buying up the OEM restorations, cutting them up into customs because the market will have fallen off for factory correct vehicles. Kind of like the present day buying a perfectly nice older OEM restoration of a Model A for $2500, dropping in a modern driveline/chopping the top, and selling it for $30k.

I'm involved with building, and appreciate/respect OEM concours restorations. My bus would be somewhat stock appearing, lowered with a 2234/2287 stroker so I could drive it more than 40mph up a PA hill.

I think what has many, myself included, shocked at the ridiculous price this bus sold for is how it compares to other restored Sambas.
Which do you think is worth more? A restored vehicle which started out as a solid, VIN correct bus. Or a restored converted rust bucket? (and there are some questions about just how far restored the Bitchin bus is, a half hour segment on a TV show doesn't show enough)

I understand what you're saying about the new trend for restomods where a classic vehicle gets all new drivetrain, suspension, and electronics but retains the classic look. Some of these have been very well done and are worth the money. I don't really see anything that was done to this particular bus which lands it in the money it received. It seems to be more of a fan trophy than a solid investment.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' Rides bus restoration Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
I think what has many, myself included, shocked at the ridiculous price this bus sold for is how it compares to other restored Sambas.
Which do you think is worth more? A restored vehicle which started out as a solid, VIN correct bus. Or a restored converted rust bucket? (and there are some questions about just how far restored the Bitchin bus is, a half hour segment on a TV show doesn't show enough)

I understand what you're saying about the new trend for restomods where a classic vehicle gets all new drivetrain, suspension, and electronics but retains the classic look. Some of these have been very well done and are worth the money. I don't really see anything that was done to this particular bus which lands it in the money it received. It seems to be more of a fan trophy than a solid investment.

With this exception, a documented original OEM restoration has still shown to be valued more than a recreation with added windows, or non-original characteristics. If done correctly, whether it had the bottom 6 inches of it replaced with Classic Fab sheet metal shouldn't matter. Proper rust/panel repair will only be known by most by looking at the restoration scrap book. Living in Pennsylvania, a very tiny percentage of classic vehicles are this holy grail of clean sheet metal at the start of the restoration. Locally the resale value has little to do with the repairs.
This Bus appears to be a very clean "Cal-Look" style cruiser. Although it seems to be an extensive build, I also do not see anything that would categorize it as some out of the ordinary build to command the final price. Again, all it takes is two bidders that want it. I've been in a position where I had $6k I was willing to bid on some items that I ended up winning for $1600. Sometimes the bid goes on until someone runs out of money. The final price may have something to do with this, or it may have something to do with the vehicle being on the Velocity Show. I just read in Sports Car Market that the Gas Monkey Garage Smokey, and the Bandit Pontiac Trans Am, that was the give away car, sold earlier this year for $60k. You can pick up running/driving late 70's Trans Am's for less than $5k locally.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: