Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ????
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

pantone149 wrote:
You need to know the bolt hole pattern, bolt hole diameter (usually easy to increase), hub diameter, wheel width, wheel diameter, and offset. Most Audi/VW/Merc wheels are 5x112 (5 bolts with 112 being the pattern). Hole diameter can be 12 or 14mm. The bus uses 14mm, so it's fairly easy to drill the holes bigger. Hub diameter needs to be 66.5 (I'm doing this from memory, so don't bash me on that number), so the wheel hub area should be at least that big or it must be increased (which is more costly than the bolt holes). Wheel width and offset work together and will require homework on your part. You're going to have to do homework to see if it's feasible to install those wheels. It's possible you get them cheap but spend hundreds on wheel studs and spacers. Go to the Vanagon section > What Wheels Fit and start learning.

Oh ya, lots of wheels are marked with all the numbers you need.

66.56 is a little larger than required, but recommended so that one could use Mercedes size center caps. T3 Technique sells custom center caps to fit that size but with VW-themed logos.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
tompands wrote:
Starbucket wrote:
Make a templet of your current wheel (remove wheel/round piece of stiff paper or cardboard/draw through the holes), then take that templet and match it to the new wheels. The problem with 17" rims is your bus needs "C' rated tires and those may be hard to find.

Whats a "c" rated tire and why do I need that-just asking

It's a heavy duty tire. There is a tire size & rating in your owners manual or in the door jamb.

Remember, buses need stiff sidewalls, not necessarily high load ratings. Once you step up to 17" wheels, you are limited to a certain tire diameter, and therefore short sidewalls. Short sidewalls are much stiffer by design.

If you need a 205/45R17 tire (just an example) to fit on your bus, that sidewall will be plenty stiff enough for your bus, even if the actual load rating is sub-par.

Buses need stiff tires. Not just a high load index.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

With a 17" low profile you will feel every nook and cranny in the road while driving your bus. This is usually for the low rider crowd.

I hope you don't have any loose dental fillings. Wink

Here are some offerings. Have fun!

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1935
(sold - but not forgotten)
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Make a templet of your current wheel (remove wheel/round piece of stiff paper or cardboard/draw through the holes), then take that templet and match it to the new wheels. The problem with 17" rims is your bus needs "C' rated tires and those may be hard to find.

I have come across 17 inch commercial-van & light-truck C-rated tyres in the following sizes, but both are of larger external circumference than 185/80 R14C tyres:

225/55 R17C – 2134•0 mm external circumference (4•25% larger than 185/80 R14)

215/60 R17C – 2167•0 mm external circumference (5•86% larger than 185/80 R14)

Pitch circle diameters can be deduced by direct measurement and calculation, without the need for a template.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net

Last edited by NASkeet on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
Pitch circle diameters can be deduced by direct measurement and calculation, without the need for a template.

Most people in the US can't convert from tablespoons to teaspoons let alone from inches to mm's and you expect them to do the geometry necessary to figure out a wheel's base circle? Crying or Very sad
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

Ahhh love these threads. Where you get the og poster in once then a page or two of the regulars circle jerking it for a couple of days.

Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

Most people in the US can't convert from tablespoons to teaspoons let alone from inches to mm's and you expect them to do the geometry necessary to figure out a wheel's base circle? Crying or Very sad

If true, that is VERY sad and says little for the US state education system!

1 inch = 25·399 mm | 1 IMPERIAL gallon = 4·546 litres

1 inch = 3 barleycorns | 1 palm = 3 inches | 1 hand = 4 inches | 1 foot = 3 feet | 1 yard = 3 feet | 1 fathom = 6 feet | etc!

The troubles really start when one refers to US pints (= 16 fluid ounces), quarts & gallons, instead of IMPERIAL pints (= 20 fluid ounces), quarts & gallons! Shocked Rolling Eyes

For those unfamiliar with basic geometry, together with Pythagoras's Theorem and trigonometry for right-angled or even non-right-angled triangles, the following links might be helpful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_sizing

http://whichwheelsfit.com/index.php/pcd-explained

http://www.uk-trailer-parts.co.uk/working-out-pitch-circle-diameters-pcd/

https://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/PCD_Calculation.html

https://www.wheel-size.com/articles/bolt-pattern-pitch-circle-diameter-pcd/

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

...15"BRMs look great.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

The owner of this bus mentioned that the rims are off of a newer Beetle. He had them Chromed. He had to use different wheel nuts in order to fit his bus.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

rottenkid wrote:
The owner of this bus mentioned that the rims are off of a newer Beetle. He had them Chromed. He had to use different wheel nuts in order to fit his bus.

Those look like the Heritage rims I have on my bus, only chromed. One cool part of the whole idea with the Heritage rims were that they look good with no decorations other than a center cap, or just a hub cap, or hub cap with beauty ring, or hub cap with spoked ring.

He also had to have the center bores opened up. He should think about center caps from T3 Technique.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

I personally love the heritage rims and will be trying to find a set for my bus when I'm finished with my restoration.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

these killer rims?
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

Cip1 has a bunch of 5x112 wheels. 15's and 17's in various looks. Prices are decent. Got some polished 5 spokes on mine from them. Love them. Yeah I underrated my tires and no problems. Sidewalls are brick hard as well as the ride.

VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

FlatfourFrenchy wrote:
Sidewalls are brick hard as well as the ride.

Now there's a ringing endorsement...I'm gonna run right out and buy some...then a heat/ice pad combo for my butt Wink Laughing

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

I have never driven it with anything else. Might not be ass bad as advertised.
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

FlatfourFrenchy wrote:
I have never driven it with anything else. Might not be ass bad as advertised.

I see what you did there..good one! Very Happy

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

Spray paint, shiny wheels, and a bed. I am good. Now back to the original post about other makers wheels. MERCEDES need longer studs. I searched forever for my Suby Loyale and put stock back on. My VW has a whole lot of options.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

EMPI wheels:

http://vwcatalog.empius.com/vwcatalog/2016/263.html

17 x 7 inch, 40 mm offset, 112 mm PCD, part No. 10-1088

http://vwcatalog.empius.com/vwcatalog/2016/264.html

Porsche 911 style, 17 x 7 inch, 40 mm offset, 112 mm PCD, part No. 9745

Nigel A. Skeet

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

Sooooo… Anybody want to talk about offset destroying your front wheel bearings?

No?

Ok.

Shhh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: What wheels from different manufactures fit on a bay window ???? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Sooooo… Anybody want to talk about offset destroying your front wheel bearings?

No?

Ok.

Shhh

Wheel-offset and steering-offset (aka scrub-radius) are important to me; the latter being influenced by both wheel-offset and the tyre's external rolling radius.

As you mention, wheel-offset also affects wheel-bearing wear owing to the change in load distribution.

There are several Mercedes C-Class & E-Class wheels with wheel-offsets close to that of the 1971~79 VW Type 2's factory-stock 39mm. I am presently investigating Mercedes 16 inch wheels for my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2, which I assess to be the optimal wheel diameter.

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: