Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego *FOUND*
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Well done.

FWIW I can remove most any passive security device in under 60 seconds with hand tools, without cutting

I'd be curious to know how someone would start a car with these bypasses in place. My relay for example controls power to my injectors and fuel pump. It's also in a super random location. If there is no power to the relay how would you ever start it?

Not to mention that nobody seems to be able to open my RMW tire carrier even in broad daylight. Not sure how you would even get to the motor.
JimmyJagged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

So Happy for you now! Dancing Dancing Dancing
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon (my 19yo son's first car. father/son project)
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon w/ 2.5 Subaru

Past:
1976 Rabbit diesel (my first car). RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1973 Pop Top Westfalia Weekender Bus. RIP. Blown engine due to 25yo ignorant of VW maintenance (me).
1986 Vanagon Transporter. RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1987 Vanagon Syncro. I never should have sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
FWIW I can remove most any passive security device in under 60 seconds with hand tools, without cutting

You are not the person I had in mind when I installed my disabling device.

Professional cars thieves will have zero interest in a Vanagon -- I only have to confound someone who is already challenged in other ways.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

Everyone expected this: its not over yet!

What damage?
Will the city make you pay for the thief's parking violation?
What methods were used to steal it.
In light of those, what will you do to stop a repeat?
What can be done to the perp to regain a happy feeling?

I'm glad you got it back. But don't you wanna punch the guy?

I once heard something fitting:
Quote:
They can't do anything for themselves, they can only scratch and mar the things around them, and yet they act arrogant and dismissive, and seem to think they know better than you.
(talk about children)
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

dyldebus wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I'd be curious to know how someone would start a car with these bypasses in place. My relay for example controls power to my injectors and fuel pump. It's also in a super random location. If there is no power to the relay how would you ever start it?

I also have a diesel cutout, but with the switch as a capacitive touch-control relay. There is no physical switch, and the spot you touch is well hidden. I challenge any Vanagon thief to steal it.

BTW, these are available on eBay for super cheap, and they work well. Best way to add theft deterrent.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Well done.

Yep. Lion powered tool like an angle grinder with cut off wheel will remove any physical barrier lickety split!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

RyanKE -

First, congratulations on recovering your van in good condition.....your are very lucky.

Second, I can attest that hidden kill switches do work. I have a restored 1976 Jeep CJ7 Renegade with a coil kill switch that thieves tried to nab at a Park-N-Ride parking lot about 10 years ago. The broke out the driver's side window then bashed in the steering column to get to the tumbler. Eventually they gave up, because they could get the engine to turn over but not fire.

When I am driving to work, I pass by a beautiful red 1970 Mach 1 with a 428 Cobra Jet and a 4-speed. This guy keeps keeps the thing parked in his driveway all year round and I always think, "Wow, I hope he has a kill switch installed on it.".
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Well done.

Yep. Lion powered tool like an angle grinder with cut off wheel will remove any physical barrier lickety split!

Oh gee golly wally wow shiver me timbers big effin deal. Who asked either one of you the question. Mr.and Mrs.Debbie Downer just had to chime in with negative nonsense. Rolling Eyes
Shouldn't you both be drooling over burnt Vans and horrific accident photos. Crying or Very sad
RyanKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

Thank you everyone! It's been a busy couple days, but here it is.

We got our westy back mostly intact. The interior has been completely ramsacked. Pretty much everything of value that wasn't bolted down (and some things that were) is GONE. The roof box was busted open and destroyed, and the contents are gone. The stereo, amp and subwoofer are gone along with the power inverter and solar wiring. All of our camping gear is gone. I haven't added it all up, but it's at least a few thousand dollars worth of stuff including the roof box.

I had planned on driving Rico home, but when I started him up at the tow yard he immediately began dumping fuel on the ground below the right (passenger) side of the motor. Additionally, I walked outside this morning to find a 6 inch wide puddle of oil below the rear bumper. I can't begin to imagine what they did to cause this. The bowed out front fenders are a clear indicator of some "Dukes of Hazzard" like activities though.

We have full coverage, however, State Farm said they won't cover any contents of the vehicle or anything that didn't come attached to the vehicle from the factory. They did offer that our renters insurance should cover the contents of the vehicle, however State Farm just recently cancelled our renters insurance due to our "close proximity to the ocean." I had to pay $260 to the tow yard to retrieve my van. Fortunately, State Farm said they would cover the $260... IF we paid a $500 deductible.

I have no idea how the thieves got the van. No widows are broken. No locks are punched. The column and ignition switch are undamaged. The club was laying unlocked on the passenger seat when we got to the tow yard. I am the only one with keys to the van, and it Stays locked with the club on.

After all of this, we're just glad to have Rico back. We've driven him over 30,000 miles in the last two years and already have so many great memories. We are so thankful to the VW community and everyone who reached out to help us find Rico!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

All that for a little crystal. Shameful. People suck. Sorry, this is a downer.

I do wonder what the body and engine damage are all about... and it's weird how the locks don't seem to have played any role.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

SOT (Slightly Off Topic), but man, I have to ask:

Dear State Farm,
Can you please explain to me why my "proximity to the ocean" has anything to do with you canceling my renter's insurance?!?!?

What da heck is the rationale for that?

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

Ryan- very glad you were able to get your beloved van back. It's sad that they seemed to have trashed the engine, and any other damage you end up finding, but at least the van was not wrapped around a tree or left in a ditch on it's side!

I know it can be tempting to leave the van full of camping gear ready for the next adventure, this incident however showcases the danger. Unless the van is parked in a garage all that bling is just so much candy to these lowlife bastards.
We learned the hard way not to leave anything in our cars when parked in front of our house when some SOBs broke into our Jeep to riffle through a plastic storage box I used to keep blankets and a work jacket. They didn't get much that time, but just the possibility there was something in that box caused them to bust out a window.

The picture doesn't show which type of club you have, but if it's the type with the cylindrical key those have proven to be easy to open with the plastic body of a Bic pen. The type with the X key are better at slowing down scumbags.

So very sorry for your loss. My hate for this type of money grubbing (especially from the insurance companies) knows no limit.
It's this type of behavior that fuels my longing for instant karma as payback!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
RyanKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

climberjohn - Apparently they decided that we were a flood risk, even though our building is about 70 above the water.

Thanks MsTaboo - It was the cylindrical lock type.

Does anybody have experience with a good shop in North County San Diego? I'm out of commission until the fuel leak is sorted out. Rico is my daily driver, so I'm sporting a rental car until he is fixed. I don't have the time or the work space to tackle it myself at the moment.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

Oh, right. These bricks DO have to be towed carefully, right? I was shocked to read Mr. Bentley's recommendations.

I think it's common nowadays to lock the steering and lift the back.

So that damage to in the engine bay might be from some bleary-eyed tower throwing a hook up and hoping it catches on something?

Painful to contemplate.
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

RyanKE, really sorry for your troubles, and very happy you found your westy back.

The bowed out front fenders are an indication they did some offroad, or anything that would compress one wheel at a time all the way up inside the front wheel well while turning. You will find some rubber chunks scooped out at the outside corner of the front tire threads. I looked at your picture, but its too dark to confirm this. In combination with your engine troubles, gasoline and oil leaks, I suspect they revved the engine to the max a couple times. Your westy might also have burnt disc clutch. You really need to get a very good mechanical inspection... Sorry, but it does not look good.

Pedro
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

Theft of the stuff is no surprise, unfortunate as it is... druggies need drug money and will sell anything they get their evil hands on. Evil or Very Mad

Bummer about the damage though... Sad

RyanKE wrote:
Does anybody have experience with a good shop in North County San Diego? I'm out of commission until the fuel leak is sorted out. Rico is my daily driver, so I'm sporting a rental car until he is fixed. I don't have the time or the work space to tackle it myself at the moment.

Call Mark (aka rubbachicken), mobile Vanagon mechanic in SD:
619-201-0310 or 617-935-4182

As for The Club, regardless of the key type (I've got both styles), I install the device the on the back side of the steering wheel so that the keyway is a whole lot harder to access by would-be thieves.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

Second Kamz's referral to RubbaChicken.

We spent quite some time with him two weeks ago, and would use him anytime -- and, he comes to you!!!

— Colin Chapman
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

Reaffirming clubs are of limited use.

Added an idiot to my ignore list, too.

Glad you got Rico back! It's just stuff.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

Anyone here use LoJack?

— Colin Chapman
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: White Westy, Solana Beach, San Diego - FOUND!! Reply with quote

Sorry for the significant damage, Ryan. I thought it was returned unscathed. I hope State Farm comes around and reconsiders your claim.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: