Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Differential failure or wheel bearing??
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Differential failure or wheel bearing?? Reply with quote

So ive had a noise for a while, 4+ months. I only started to really notice it a few months ago then realized it had been there for a while. The noise is a humming low rumbling noise. So the first thing that popped into my mind was wheel bearing, the more I drove the bus the more I thought that may not be the issue.

Symtoms:

Humming when in 3rd and 4th gear going strait, the noise goes away when I turn left in these conditions, it remains when I turn right. The noise also goes away when let off the throttle in any direction at any speed, off throttle = no noise. It is not noticeable in 2nd and 1st gear.

So this is what made me hesitant to check the wheel bearings. The CV joints are freshly packed and installed as of 3k miles ago. The were inspected by me when I took them out and I re installed them correctly. They did not appear to be worn in any way.

Thoughts?

If transmission, if I cannot find a place locally, whats a good place to order from?

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Differential failure or wheel bearing?? Reply with quote

Sure sounds like a wheel bearing, jack it up and spin the LH wheel for a listen, wiggle it as well.
Also check the LF, sometimes noises come from deceptive places.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Differential failure or wheel bearing?? Reply with quote

check the lug nuts and the drum for cracks. It may be that or as Mark suggested, wheel bearings. Were it me I would also check my fluid level in the trans and the bolts that hold the CV joints on. Normally a differential ring gear howl doesn't change much with turns but it does change with load. CV, wheel bearings, lug nuts, cracked drums change with load and turning.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Differential failure or wheel bearing?? Reply with quote

I suppose I can do that again, when I adjusted the brakes about a month ago all the wheels spun smoothly before I had the brakes adjusted to friction.. The reason I hesitated to think it was a wheel bearing is because I inspected and greased all of them in June.. although I guess its hard to tell if one of the rollers is going out..

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Differential failure or wheel bearing?? Reply with quote

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. I recently replaced a rear wheel bearing that was causing a humming/rumbling that I was convinced was rear differential in my Subaru Legacy. I assumed diff because as soon as I let off the gas it went away.

It was the wheel bearing... I went out and bought a replacement diff and everything.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Differential failure or wheel bearing?? Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. I recently replaced a rear wheel bearing that was causing a humming/rumbling that I was convinced was rear differential in my Subaru Legacy. I assumed diff because as soon as I let off the gas it went away.

It was the wheel bearing... I went out and bought a replacement diff and everything.

Well thats promising, is the best way to check to jack up each corner and spin the wheel?

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Differential failure or wheel bearing?? Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Cap10323 wrote:

Well thats promising, is the best way to check to jack up each corner and spin the wheel?

If it were me, I'd unhook the CV joints at the stub axle, then spin the each rear wheel with my hand. Then, place the other hand on the trailing arm or bearing housing. If you have a rough bearing, you'll feel it on those parts as you spin it.
You may be able to feel the rough bearing with the axle hooked up.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Differential failure or wheel bearing?? Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Humming when in 3rd and 4th gear going strait, the noise goes away when I turn left in these conditions, it remains when I turn right. The noise also goes away when let off the throttle in any direction at any speed, off throttle = no noise. It is not noticeable in 2nd and 1st gear.

i had this issue with a freshly rebuilt transmission. it was a bad bearing in the trans. sorry, i can't remember which one it was. have you checked your gear oil level lately?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Differential failure or wheel bearing?? Reply with quote

You may be able to detect a failing wheel bearing because it will give off a bit more heat than a good bearing. You would probably have to make a highway run of several miles and then coast to a stop with minimal use of the brakes to detect this.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Differential failure or wheel bearing?? Reply with quote

I found I could hear my wheel bearing going bad while cornering, everybody has a different story to tell.

If transaxle work/replacement is needed I'd use Arizona Transaxle. They even ship.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Differential failure or wheel bearing?? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:
Cap10323 wrote:

If it were me, I'd unhook the CV joints at the stub axle, then spin the each rear wheel with my hand. Then, place the other hand on the trailing arm or bearing housing. If you have a rough bearing, you'll feel it on those parts as you spin it.
You may be able to feel the rough bearing with the axle hooked up.

I suppose I will try to listen closely with the axels attached first.. It could be bad CV too. Diagnosing is difficult with this.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Differential failure or wheel bearing?? Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:

i had this issue with a freshly rebuilt transmission. it was a bad bearing in the trans. sorry, i can't remember which one it was. have you checked your gear oil level lately?

Changed recently.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Differential failure or wheel bearing?? Reply with quote

Make sure the big axle nuts are torqued down tight enough. Years ago, mine started with the humming sound, thought it was a bearing. Then one day I end up stranded as I could hear the transmission spinning, but no power to the wheels. Immediately thought my trans was screwed, then realized the axles were turning, just not the drum. The axle nut had loosened itself and the splines in the drum that ride on the axle had been stripped/sheared smooth. Had to buy a new drum and bought one of these: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D7045
Problem solved!
Good luck, hope you find the answer you're looking for.

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Differential failure or wheel bearing?? Reply with quote

I torqued them about 4k miles ago and installed the cotter pin, I suppose I can check again tho.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Differential failure or wheel bearing?? Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
I torqued them about 4k miles ago and installed the cotter pin, I suppose I can check again tho.

Get hold of some Vanagon nuts and then use the Vanagon spec. Higher initial torque by 50% without the maximum possible torque once the cotter pin holes are aligned being any higher.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: