Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to restore your plastic headlights
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: How to restore your plastic headlights Reply with quote

For those of us that have later model VWs with plastic headlights have been plagued with poor light output due to hazy, yellowed lenses. We all have tried buffing, tooth paste, & even those crappy do it yourself kits at the parts stores. This is the best way that I have found to restore them & improve nighttime visibility & it lasts for 5-7 years.

First off, I like to remove the lights. Some people mask off the surrounding body work but I find it easier to work with them out of the car.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then I wet sand the oxidized plastic off with 800 grit sand paper.

After sanding & rinsing the headlights, I wipe them down with a degreaser (test that the product you use doesn't react with the plastic.).

I had restored the cleaner headlight on the right 4-5 years ago but wanted it to match the yellowed replacement one next to it.

I use an automotive grade two part clear in a can. The clear coat that you can buy in parts & hardware stores is lacquer based & yellows within a year where this does not.

You remove the red button from the lid, put it on the pin in the base of the can & firmly push it down on a solid surface & shake the can.

Then I lightly mist the headlights with a first coat & let it dry. If you try to lay this paint on in just a few initial coats, it reacts with the plastic & causes the plastic to "craze" or cause a bunch of fine little cracks in the surface.
After it has dried, then I paint the lights with a couple more coats to "flow out" the scratches caused by the sanding.

If try to do as many lights at a time due to the cost of the clear coat & one can will do about 30 lights, a good days work at $100 for the pair.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How to restore your plastic headlights Reply with quote

Did you mean $100 for the can of two part clear ?

If so I see why you do a boat load at one time.....thanks for sharing.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to restore your plastic headlights Reply with quote

No sir, about $23 for the clear. You only have about 24 hours to use the whole can once you mix the activator. $100 is about the going rate to restore each pair of headlights locally.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How to restore your plastic headlights Reply with quote

Yes, I see now. Just did a little internet search about $25 with shipping. Thanks.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: